Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
thegoodfoot

Kayak diving - San Diego to Alaska

Hi all,

A little about me & my situation; fresh out of college; no debt, no obligations, and saved up a little $. Decided to go on an "off the wall", long road trip from San Diego to Alaska over the next four months.

I'm planning on buying a kayak from when I arrive in San Diego (from Texas). My current gear list includes;
-Riffe 50" MH
-100' Mako floatline
-7mm open cell
-6' pole spear
-Other dive essentials (mask, belt, knife, etc. - avoiding the obvious)

Been reading a ton on kayak diving, but nothing beats just getting out there and doing it. I would love any/all suggestions on making this trip successful and free from potential disaster. Feel free to give your $0.02 and make any recommendations, regardless of how seemingly obvious or insignificant they seem.

Also, I would absolutely love to join a dive. Even just to watch and learn. I think you guys have a ton of knowledge to share both on SB and in person.

Thanks for all of the posts and the wealth of info. Y'all have inspired me to do this trip more than I can describe.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
FreediveCA

Re: Kayak diving - San Diego to Alaska

Best time in your life to do something like this.

What is the band stretch on your Riffe (I'm too lazy to look it up)?

Regarding the wetsuit, the 7mm will be good once you start heading north, but a lot of us guys further south wear 5mm. Depending on the time of year you will be south the 7mm may be a little too much. Maybe you could just get a 5mm top.

For kayak options. A lot of guys like the Scupper Pro. I haven't been in one, but the storage alone is quite nice. Double hatch for the most part. I have an Aquaterra Prism which is quite similar to the Scupper Pro with double hatches. Again, storage there is nice. Both are quick. What's your height/weight? That will help guys to start throwing out suggestions.

When you make your way to the LA area let me know and I will take you out.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
FreediveCA

One more addition. Buy used. You'll save a good load of cash. Plus you could just pick one out when you get here so you're not hauling it from and to TX. Assuming you don't already have one that is.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
battleborn702

Out of curiosity, u didn't stop by Lubbock on the way to sd?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
battleborn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:11 AM   #5
thegoodfoot

@FreediveCA the band stretch looks like it's 40". I was trying to decide on either a 5mm or 7mm would be best, for reasons of space, cost, and general diving temps. I figured the 7mm would be best and couple "let" cold water in if I ever felt overheated, but could not warm up more if felt cold.

My height is 6'1", and I weigh around 190. I have only been looking at Craigslist, Offer Up & Letgo, there's no way I could justify buying a new kayak.

Thanks for your warm hospitality nonetheless. I will be sure to reach out to you when I'm in/near LA. I'll follow up with a PM and hopefully we can figure something out.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
thegoodfoot

@battleborn702 I actually am graduating from Texas Tech so I spent the past couple years there. Are you from there/currently live there?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
battleborn702

goodfoot, actually I was going to run out to Texas to get a popup camper but the guy said he just sold it to someone that was going to take it to Alaska. I was wondering what were the odds...

Old 06-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
rhyne

sounds like a great trip!... socal wetsuit; 5mm or at least a 5mm top w/ 7mm bottom would be recommended. you'll be hot in a 7. our water is already warming up and will be in the upper 60's and reach low/mid-70's at peak highs.
Kayak - aim for 11' to 12'ish feet long, longer if desired but I wouldn't go shorter. wide is good. more hatches the better... and of course, Tie EVERYTHING DOWN. plan for the crash, not the ride (probably some of the best life advice I've ever gotten for everything in life
gun choice is decent. may be a little on the short side for socal, but will be great for the reef. one of my favorite all-around sizes (If I had to have just 1) would be a Riffe 120cm euro with a reel. a little long for when you get north though. also, FYI... San Diego's James and Josephs spearfishing shop has rentals available if you need something bigger. could be other rental opportunities in Orange County/LA?

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
battleborn702

James and Joseph is a great shop. rent what you won't use regularly. no use getting a big tuna gun if you are only going after them a few trips. keep us posted on your trip.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
Holy Mackerel

Check this site for used kayaks. It mostly a kayak fishing site.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=31339
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
FreediveCA

Followed up with an email.

You're getting good suggestions so far.

Like I said in my email, I'd try to swing two guns and have them be 90-100 and 120-130 if you can. Guys up north may even suggest smaller than a 90 so I'd keep an ear out for what they have to say. A 130 would likely not fit below deck so the 120 may be your better option. Even that may be a struggle to get down there. I can barely fit mine.

7mm is going to painful during the summer down south.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #12
thegoodfoot

To everyone who is asking;

I JUST bought a Scupper Pro for only $80 on Craigslist (what a steal!) so the kayak situation is taken care of.

Hey Rhyne;
Thanks for the tips on the setup! Looks like I will be in decent shape gear-wise for socal. I'll be buying a shorter gun if I'm expecting to use it more and stay away from rentals. Great life advice though

Nonetheless, thanks so much for all the suggestions and tips. I will for sure keep an update with pics and how things are going. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #13
FreediveCA

That is a damn good deal! Holy crap.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodfoot View Post
@FreediveCA the band stretch looks like it's 40". I was trying to decide on either a 5mm or 7mm would be best, for reasons of space, cost, and general diving temps. I figured the 7mm would be best and couple "let" cold water in if I ever felt overheated, but could not warm up more if felt cold.

My height is 6'1", and I weigh around 190. I have only been looking at Craigslist, Offer Up & Letgo, there's no way I could justify buying a new kayak.

Thanks for your warm hospitality nonetheless. I will be sure to reach out to you when I'm in/near LA. I'll follow up with a PM and hopefully we can figure something out.
Don't overheat, if you dive with 7mm, I would only put pants on
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
billder99
Good gone Wong

It's been 7 months since this thread was updated... I hope you managed to gear up at all bargain prices, the kayak you got sounds like a fantastic deal.

Man, you are so much smarter than I was just out of college. Actually I am 60 now and you are still smarter than me... doh! How is your trip going? What a great adventure! What are some of the best lessons you have learned for kayak spearfishing? Tell us something exciting that has happened in the water? Are you getting laid often enough (travel stuff... you know)?

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote