Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
MMAGuy

Catalina Report

I spent some time in Little Harbor this last week with some family and SDMF. The campsite was in a pretty cool location, it almost feels like you have your own private beach. The downsides to the campsite were mainly that that you don't have access to basic things, the ranger doesn't sell ice, outdoor showers which the girls weren't very excited about.

The first day there, Juan (32Juan) was already walking around our campsite ready to go dive as we were pulling up to the campsite in the cab. After a few minutes of setting up tents etc, we headed out on the boat. The vis was around 10-15', and very surgy. First day of diving SDMF shot a nice calico that made a nice dinner for sure.

The second day we headed out to a different spot, that had a lot more life as a whole for sure. My very first dive down I found a nice sized sheephead, I didn't shoot it though. About 30-40 minutes into the dive on my way down just on the edge of the vis I saw my first WSB ever, which was awesome. It was probably in the 40-50lb range, I didn't get a shot off though, it would have been a hail marry shot for sure if I tried. The vis was once again around 15' and very surgy.

The biggest bummer the whole trip was that it got cut short by a few days. That sucked, but hey, I still got to dive Catalina for the first time even though I didn't get to shoot anything, it was a neat experience.

Gotta say thanks to Juan for being very hospitable, he hooked us up huge throughout the whole trip, with random things to help us save money, and picked us up two days for boat dives. Very cool guy, and was very helpful.

Orca Competition dive team.
MMAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
AquaHunter
Ray Ayus, Jr.

Re: Catalina Report

Glad you had fun! Worst day Diving on your birthday beats the best day at work

Mercruiser, Evinrude, Crusader, Johnson, Volvo Penta, Mercury, OMC, Mariner, Force, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Nissan, Tohatsu, Yanmar, PWC, and Jet drive are my specialty. For mobile service, e-mail me at RayAyusJr@yahoo.com or text me at 619-756-0972

Speardeals
AquaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Thanks for the report Scott. We just shot a few calicos for dinner and drank the night away...

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
MMAGuy

I am glad you had fun Scott, its really an amazing place. How was the vis on the front side? I'll post some pics here in a few days.

Orca Competition dive team.
MMAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
SDMF
Grab life by the gills!

Poor calico, it was delicious!

I blame the whites and the yellows for not being around.................

http://makospearguns.com/
SDMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

That was some good times bro, next time you're gonna have to check out the frontside, it's a little less surgy, and the variety of local spots can't be beat. Hope to see you out here again sometime!
32Juan is offline   Reply With Quote