Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #1
kwtony
Snorkel Master

We are missing a WONDERFUL jet ski dive scuba chica right now....please read

This is a tough post to write as I have pretty much been crying for the past few days straight. My friend once told me "there is no crying in Waverunners" so i have been doing my best to keep laughing and stay happy...between these the 5 gallons of water box of shop towels and 500 phone calls, i am doing so so...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I moved to Key West on a whim over 10 years ago in 2005 with my first job being with wave runner rentals at the Casa Marina to my current business of wave runners somewhere else. I can say with everything I am, that I would not be nearly the person today without this wonderful soul. She could ride a ski and fix a ski better then most people, and lead a 10 ski tour with one hand better then most as well. Looked good doing it too!!!

Lauren Brancel was a certain type of woman that would blow you out of the water and be humble enough about it turn around and show you how to be a better person so the next time youd be that much better. There will never be another person like her, she's not gone, just somewhere else at the moment.

I cant type much more right now other then if you ever came to the Florida Keys and went on a dive boat/ jet ski tour anywhere between Key Largo and Key West...i guarantee 10000% you rode with someone that knew this lady. There is a HUGE family right now in a pain that can never be displayed online...

Tomorrow there is a ride out to the Boca Chica Sand Bar near Key West. The Keys Water Sports community is pretty much shutting down and going to take over this spot...from what I hear...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im asking ask as a longtime SB member, between all the people I have helped, offended, upset, and helped please send the Fl Keys some prayers and love...

"I am a miracle, made up of particles, and in this existence, ill make a difference and I will have lived it " Nahko Bear

Last edited by kwtony; 08-21-2015 at 07:19 AM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:31 AM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: We are missing a WONDERFUL jet ski dive scuba chica right now....please read

Tony, I have always deeply appreciated you, and now I know someone who helped make you the person you are. She must have been someone wonderful indeed. Thanks for the video. What a lovely person. May peace be upon you all.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Re: We are missing a WONDERFUL jet ski dive scuba chica right now....please read

I feel for you Tony. We all have to cross this bridge I f we choose to be good people and make company with admirable souls.

I lost a good.friend earlier this year and it weighs heavy on my heart and it has affected me in ways beyond simple reasoning. I hope you find peace with your friends early exit from us here. Your friend looks like she was blessed with a life to envy and I can only imagine she knew how lucky she had it to call you a friend as well.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
SeaWolf83

Sorry for your loss Tony. Beautiful video, she looked happy.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
SeaWolf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
kwtony
Snorkel Master

We had about 8-9 people close in the Keys leave us way too soon this year and i am no stranger to this emotion.

Lauren was a bit different and she was sitting at my rental just a few days before this looking for me, she got to hang out with an hour with my roommate while waiting for me to show up...and I never did, i dont even know where I was at as things have been sooooo hectic.....this is one of a few great lives ended too soon thats going to stick with me for a while. Right now you cannot imagine the amount of local and support we are getting from friends and family around the world. Its crazy just how far we really reach out when we need to. She grew up here, and there aren't many ladies like her, she is about 6 feet tall and pretty much owned the room when she came in, not because she was pretty. Simply because you wanted to hear what she had to say.

When you surround yourself around good people....you know that friend you think about all the time, wondering how they are doing because they make you jealous on all the cool stuff they get to do...lauren was this times 10...she lived a life I can only dream about....

She was in California taking care of a few personal things and there was supposedly in a car accident. Lots of unknowns but she's not answering her phone, i tried...

Thanks for the support fellas(and ladies) you dont know how much this means...
Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Saddened to hear about this Tony. Sounds like a wonderful lady. I'm sure I would have enjoyed knowing her. Its especially hard when someone of that caliber gets taken too soon. Cherish every moment you had with her.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Another of those other people would be Karl Keller. I spoke with him a day before he went to Bahamas. He was making something custom for me for helping him out years ago and now the I only wish is that he was posting his photos with that BIG beautiful smile of his...

sheeesh...i need a day off....yall take care
Old 08-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
pernicia

Tony, I am very sorry for your loss.

It seems she was a great person!

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
kwtony
Snorkel Master

She was more of a bad ass then 3 of me combined, I learned from her....Wonder who helped perfect my jet ski head stand.....

Old 08-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #10
kwtony
Snorkel Master

We are missing a WONDERFUL jet ski dive scuba chica right now....please read

More bad news for the island... My dear fried Catherine Somerfelt and her hubby digger got in a terrible car accident yesterday, she is no longer w us and he got airlifted to MIA.....

I packed my stuff two days ago and drove home to gville to spend time with my family when i heard this news..its a good thing they were with me when i found out...

Cat was a beer rep for Budweiser for the past 10 years and more of a water woman then most dudes i know,

Needless to say the islands of the fl keys are hurting bad right now. Please send your prayers...

Here is a another speara more bad ass then i could ever hope to be, she was such a beautiful soul. Both women were.....

Last edited by kwtony; 08-24-2015 at 05:38 AM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #11
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I just got the call that we got access to a 150 person permit at Ft Zach Taylor for the Celebration of life and spreading of ashes on saturday.

John from Koah was planning a tip to kw this week and is bringing a bag, some gear and guns to a silent style auction to raise money for one of Laurens favorite charities and to also help provide some assistance for the family as well.

Koah Spearguns
Mellow Ventures
Divers Direct(tentative)

as well as a few others...
Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #12
jstiver09

Very sorry for your loss Tony.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Sorry for your loss Tony. Keep your head up.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I have to be honest, making this thread hear on spearboard, it has put me in contact with about 5-6 lifetime friends of Laurens, one as far back as elementary and middle school. Since everything is on facebook these days, none of its is searchable by google, after putting it here, Lauren Brancels name now was...

for what its worth I almost didn't make this post, but at this point I sure am glad I did.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Thoughts sent from New England.....