Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
ljsargent
6 hungry kids

Send a message via Yahoo to ljsargent
Herranen Guns

Hay out there.
Anyone have any first hand experience with Herranen spearguns. Talked to Phil today. Great guy, very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has used his guns and what you think.
You who go down to the sea,
and all that is in it.
You coastlands and you
inhabitants of them!

Isaiah 42:10
ljsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
North Star
Max

Re: Herranen Guns

Never used one, but I have heard nothing but good about them.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
NateSmith
Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NateSmith Send a message via Yahoo to NateSmith

We've had 1 or 2 floating around the Tritons and they're great guns. I've seen a few guys reliably take quite a few fish over the past several years. Plus, Phil just makes a helluva great gun.

NateSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

Hi Ljsargent , I honestly think Phill is the best , I have owned many High end guns ,,, these days there are lots of gun builders out their ,,, But when it comes to building a "custom" Phil takes it to the next level ,

Ask Scott Merlo http://www.merlospearguns.com/ to build you a speargun see were he sends you

check this thread in a few days =

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=118986
ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
spearthebigones
Daniel

I've seen Phil's guns up close in person and they are all a work of art. Got nothing but admiration for his handywork. He has some serious skill.

I'd trust Phil to make anything you want.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
jwhit88
March YT Madness

Send a message via AIM to jwhit88

My buddy Tom has a 90cm gun made by Phil and it is sick! I've handled it in the water and really recommend his work.
jwhit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
MMAGuy

Oh man where do I start with Phil's guns.

I'm a fortunate owner of one, very soon to be two of Phil's guns. The thing about Phil is that his guns aren't just another gun. The customer service and input you get from Phil is incredible. He will answer all of your questions from start to finish and make sure you get a gun that is designed exactly for whatever you are looking to do. After you get the gun he will continue to give you input on rigging, and even give diving input if its asked. His guns are also beautiful pieces of work. My guns from Phil will soon be on my wall in the living room when they are not slaying fish.

I hope to have several Phil guns one day, and I really can't see myself going to any other gun maker just because of the great products and service I have already gotten from Phil.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=60529
That thread has a few pictures of one of my guns.

All in all, once you get one gun from Phil you will probably be buying guns from him for the rest of your life.

Orca Competition dive team.
MMAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #8
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

Top of the line. I've played with several and I want one.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
Brandiego
Team Fii

I would like to mirror what MMA Guy said. I have seen, handled, and shot several of his guns including his euros, water ballasted tuna guns and even his roller guns. Not only are they pieces of art, they shoot beautifully. That is why I chose him to make my first gun. In addition to his MASTER craftsmanship, Phil has done alot to protect our fishing grounds. In my opinion you cant get any better gun than one of Phils.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

I have one of Phil's guns and another in progress. His guns are beautifully made and finished. Every gun he makes is unique and matched to the diver, what they will be hunting, and in what conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phil3.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	145502  
Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
thereefgeek
Soon-to-be ex-patriot

I've seen them in person and they're some of the nicest customs around. For what you're getting, the price is right as well. Each one is a 1-of-a-kind, designed and built for the specific hunter.
Unfortunately I don't own one of his masterpieces.
Instead of building a custom speargun for me, Phil took the time to teach me how to build them for myself. He also spent the time in the water with me teaching me how to effectively use them to kill fish.
I just finished my 4th gun and Phil still calls or e-mails me with little bits of knowledge to share. I'm always learning something new from that guy.
I'm also pretty stoked to be going on a little road trip with him next weekend to do some diving down in So Cal.
You can't go wrong with a Herranen gun. Phil puts the custom in the word customer, and he backs up his products for life.
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
weekendrx

I can say that if you start your own build, they realize you are in way over your head, Phil will finish your build and do one hell of a job with it. He did all the real work on my small hole gun two winters ago and its amazing. Don't hesitate to get one from him.
Kurt
weekendrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Don Paul

Perfection of the art.

Cheers, Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
jackyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljsargent View Post
Hay out there.
Anyone have any first hand experience with Herranen spearguns. Talked to Phil today. Great guy, very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has used his guns and what you think.
Used a Phil Herranen 57" open track rear handle on my last two trips to Hawaii, and a 57" mid handle is in the works.

Can't say enough good things about the guns. Very well balanced in the water, and scary accurate. These guns feel like swiss watches; assembled so carefully and precisely you know they are just gonna keep working and working and working. They really are beautiful pieces of equipment, pictures of simplicity and efficiency. Herranen guns make me wish I had never wasted money on JBL.

Phil is a great guy too he just genuinely loves spearfishing and knows his stuff, and it really comes through in the guns.
jackyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
kraziac
<*)))-<

Send a message via AIM to kraziac

I think everyone has basically got the point down. So I'm just going to following along with them. I have had the honor of using a herranen speargun on a trip out to the banks, and all I can really say is that his craftsmanship, attention to detail, and ingenuity sparkle in every gun that he makes. I've seen plenty of the guns that he has built, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
I'm pretty sure that the first time I held one, I just smiled.
All the guns are top notch, accurate, balasted, smooth, killing punch, and stunning beauty. If there's really any gun to get, it is a herranen speargun. You'll be so happy to have made the choice. His guns are the meaning of "custom".