Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Mg 05-05-2022

I and my friend Gene got invited by Rob for a MG trip aboard his Prowler 31 Cat. Thursday was the perfect day with almost flat seas and sunny skies. Vertical vis.: 50-60' with a good 40' Horz. vis.. Depths averages around 100'. Bottom water temp. was around 71F.. Warming up fast. 5 divers came back with I think 18 hogs . Quite a few were over 12 lbs.. That's what we mainly targeted. In the box were some mangoes, red grouper and a few scamp. Saw a few legal gags (closed) . The only AJ's we saw were on the small side. MG video is posted further down by Cat diver (Rob).

Last edited by sharpshooter; 05-10-2022 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Added video now posted by Cat diver
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
jfjf

Re: Mg 05-05-2022

Thanks for the report. been years for me since I have been out there.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #3
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Thanks for the report. been years for me since I have been out there.
If its been 10 years or longer since you've been out there. You'll be a little disappointed with the fish. 20 years or more. You'll be highly disappointed. Besides the Elbow here. It's the only place with a chance at some big sized fish where I live. Unless, you're diving deeper than 150'. I got lucky to start back in the early 80's going to the MG in my late 20's. It was incredible back then. Still remember my first recreational trip on Jimmy Fentress boat called the Grounds Keeper. Nicknamed the Grounds Creeper. Old commercial boat that did 7 knots. We were told you'll be in a place with big fish. Don't shoot any gags under 15 pounds. Gags 20#-30# were plentiful in schools of 6 or more on about every drop. It was a 2 day charter trip. So you had a 2 day limit. 10 gags/day X 2 days=20 gags each. You had to be a lousy shot to not limit out. Everybody, had several Igloo 150 qt. coolers. Back then we thought we'd never exhaust the fish resources. We were all wrong. Now at my age, I don't care about coming up with a full stringer of fish anymore. Just some back in the old days MG size fish to take home for a few dinners. Talking to old timers in the Florida Keys it isn't what it use to be there either.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #4
grey2112

Thanks for the report, Jose. Still good to hear that you can get some decent sized hogs out there. I did my first MG trip last year and got my biggest hog, but wasn't as impressed with the areas we dove - but I understand that fish move. Honestly, though, I've had more fun and seen better terrain and fish up in Hernando last year than I did in the MGs. A hell of a lot cheaper and less time to get out and back, too! Looking forward to more scouting and finding new and neat spots closer in this year.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:58 PM   #5
Diverboy067

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Thanks for the report, Jose. Still good to hear that you can get some decent sized hogs out there. I did my first MG trip last year and got my biggest hog, but wasn't as impressed with the areas we dove - but I understand that fish move. Honestly, though, I've had more fun and seen better terrain and fish up in Hernando last year than I did in the MGs. A hell of a lot cheaper and less time to get out and back, too! Looking forward to more scouting and finding new and neat spots closer in this year.
Depends upon where you live. Trying to hit Hernando from John's Pass or Clearwater Pass can be just as long, if not longer, as a trip to the MG's. Last time I was in the MG's, the biggest benefit I found was no sharks...not always the case, but it was that day, 3 dives and zero sharks. Can't remember the last time I could say that diving closer to shore. Lately in shore, it's been more like 1 dive and 3 sharks. Another positive MG benefit, I would prefer to clean one 15-20 lb hog that three 16" ones.
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
CatDiver

Was an unbelievable day in the water. I put a video together on YouTube

https://youtu.be/12YbeC9ITfQ

CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:22 PM   #7
Diverboy067

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDiver View Post
Was an unbelievable day in the water. I put a video together on YouTube

https://youtu.be/12YbeC9ITfQ

http://youtu.be/12YbeC9ITfQ
I saw your video and it looked like you had epic conditions on both the surface and bottom. I need to make the first trip out there with my boat and prefer to do it with a crew that I’m familiar with. Since I owe you a trip or two, want to round up Dan, Jay and Jose and plan one on my boat?
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
CatDiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverboy067 View Post
I saw your video and it looked like you had epic conditions on both the surface and bottom. I need to make the first trip out there with my boat and prefer to do it with a crew that I’m familiar with. Since I owe you a trip or two, want to round up Dan, Jay and Jose and plan one on my boat?
Brian, that sounds great. I've been so busy with work, kids activities, and crappy weather that I've only been diving three times this year (and I like diving in the winter so that has nothing to do with it). But I'd like to get out again this summer so maybe we could find a weather window and make it happen.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverboy067 View Post
Brian, sounds good to me. You know I love diving the MG.