Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

3d printed roller muzzle...it may just work

Sooo as the thread name states i may have figured it out...3d printing a roller speargun muzzle...i got a 3d printer for christmas and have been nonstop printing stuff, and learning, now finally if decided to mix 3d printing and on of my passions speargun building and spearfishing.

I didn't want to spend the 100+ dollars on a roller muzzle for a pipe gun that i got from a friend for 20 bucks (cress comanche used once an there isn't even a scratch on it) so i decided to design it and print a prototype...ill soon up the infill and print again overnight for a full strength version.

I think this shows promise in being successful...it may be the future of speargun building

thanks for checking out the thread...feel free to comment and debate...ill keep updating on the progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_201210.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	215658   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_201107.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	215659   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_201027.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	215660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.10.27 PM.png
Views:	449
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	215661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.10.09 PM.png
Views:	368
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	215662  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.09.53 PM.png
Views:	368
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	215663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.08.59 PM.png
Views:	398
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	215664  
Jaws spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Wile E. Coyote

Re: 3d printed roller muzzle...it may just work

That's great! Very Nice.

I was just looking at 3D printers for the same reason last week
What material did you use for the prototype?
I saw where a person was using delrin and getting great results!
Soon there probably won't be a need for an expensive machine to make custom parts!
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

i did this in ABS but this is just a hollow prototype for size and fitment on the gun, I'm setting it up to print 3 full strength solid ABS muzzles tonight which should take around 16 hours. I'm going to test strength until failure on these muzzles

Im first going to see the strength that ABS plastic gives me, and if that doesn't prove stong enough, i will buy some more nylon filament to experiment with...ill keep updates coming with success and failure

if you do end up getting one definitely look into the LULZBOT printers i have the TAZ 4 which is a bit pricey, but they have cheaper ones...and believe me I've tried most of the printers out there this one is one of the best. however the makerbot replicator 2 is a decent machine aswell. however the TAZ is by far the best I've used
Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

and if all works out i may be willing to just give a few away for testing and experimentation, ill definitely send one to you Wile E. Coyote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

I happen to have a few extra Rob Allen guns in my quiver that I would gladly put one of these Muzzles on to experiment for you!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

haha KILLIAN if i get these muzzles to a point where they are strong enough and work i would gladly have you test run one
Old 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
toptuna

Rob Allen already utilizes a 3d printer to tweak their stuff....
Old 03-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Wile E. Coyote

Very impressive. ...looking forward to how the final full strength muzzle comes out.
Sounds like a long time to make one! I didn't realize it took that much time
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

Wile E., its currently printing so it should be done by morning time, i was a bit over on my estimate however, because it all depends on how fast you print and how thick every layer is, i went with a .1mm layer height which is considered the thinnest you should really go on most printers, and I'm printing it at a slightly faster speed, so printing one muzzle will take around 10 hours or so, however on the final muzzles i plan on printing a .075mm layer height at a insanely slow speed in order to get the strongest muzzle possible...those muzzles may take around 18-20 or so hours to print...but its all a learning process so well see what happens

I've got my fingers crossed as i listen to the hummm of my 3d printer praying it all works out and is strong enough haha

ill post an update tomorrow night when i get back from school sometime, thats the thing that sucks about being in school having to wait to get home to work on stuff in your limited free time haha
Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

ill also post pics and possible video of me testing the muzzle to failure
Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
Wile E. Coyote

Any idea what the material cost is to make a handle?
The strength is definitely the major question. Looking forward to the final result.
Do you have to pay for software as well?
How hard to draw parts in 3D?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

well material cost would be determined entirely on the design, but if you are talking something like the jbl handle it may cost just a few bucks in plastic. to build and I'm currently working on designing a simple handle similar to the wong or ulusub handle. however with a handle it would benefit from being printed in 2 halves that are epoxied together, just from a ease of printing standpoint.

And yes strength is a major obstacle here...im hoping the ABS will yield good results however if not ill move onto trying a NYLON filament which is stronger but slightly more expensive(only a few extra dollars per roll) and slightly more difficult to print well...and if all else fails i believe there is a resin composite filament that boasts being super strong, however it is said to be quite a bit more expensive.

to 3D model parts you need 2 different softwares...
1) the first being a CADD program personally i use AUTODESK INVENTOR PROFESSIONAL which is quite expensive however since i am still in high school i get it for free
(*if you yourself or anyone you may know has a student email for high school or college you can get the software for free.* for example my dad just downloaded the program through using my school email)
im not sure of other programs as i have not used them...but the INVENTOR program allows you to do things many other programs cannot
(according to my CADD/drafting teacher in school haha)
Im sure there are other programs out there for free however i have no clue as to their names because I've only ever used INVENTOR and i find it more than exceeds my needs

2) the second program is a slicer program there are many to chose from and many free ones as well such as SLIC3R and CURA i use CURA and its free and works well.

and lastly modeling in 3D is somewhat difficult to some extent when you are learning, however with some simple skills, and through using videos and books its quite simple to use all the software, however it can be tricky at times.

this muzzle design took me less than an hour in total, over the course of an hour i designed about 4 muzzles and settled on this design as the best and most effective.

If you are looking for a handle ill let you know if I end up printing one and i wouldn't mind sending you one haha it only costs me a few dollars so in the long run that isn't a lot to receive some feedback on a design
Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #13
Wile E. Coyote

I'd definitely be up for trying a handle. Thanks for the offer.

I use plain Autocad for everyday work, buy never used 3D cad much. I thought 3d might be easier now.
Used to be that every point had to have an x,y,z coordinate .

Can't wait to see the end result. I guess you could have the printer running non stop and make a part every day.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #14
Jaws spearguns
Jaw's spearguns

Ok man I'll let yoy know about the handle, thats my next challenge.

And yes I've used the older versions of Autocad for 3d work and they are majorly difficult and i couldnt stand them...the new ones however are super easy, and most of it requires very little thinking, and it makes it very simple to use.

And yes, im a high school student, so I'll normally set something to print or if I have multiple small things I want to print I'll set them all to print at the same time, and then it will print overnight and end at some point the next day, and when I get home from wrestling practice my parts are all done, and then I just repeat the process for the next day, setup a print and start it up again haha.

I tend to make sure that I print enough in one session to last about 16-20 hours that way the parts finish up around the time that I get home and i make the most of the time the printer is on and I'm away from it.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #15
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Im surprised that the gun builders havent responded to this....
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote