Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Nelson Kwok
Formerly known as Qtip

Re: Spearfishing and attitude.. From a newbie to a newbie.

Totally agree that positive mental attitude makes a big difference. Not just with spearing fish, but with safety and handling underwater misshaps as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
A couple months ago I went diving with my wife. I was hunting, and she was taking pictures. We got back to the truck and she informed me that I was really noisy in the water and she could tell exactly where I was even though she couldn't see me in the 8-10' viz. I think her exact words were "No wonder you don't come home with fish."

Ouch!!

I thought about what she said the next time I dove, concentrating on being quiet, focusing on my breathing, and just relaxing while I was in the water. For that, I was rewarded with a 45 lb. WSB, my very first.

Looks like I "came home with fish" that time.....
You went from taking a little black & yellow to shooting a fat WSB. I'd say thats progress.
Nelson Kwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
Tom Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF View Post
Bill,

... Attitude is about positive thinking and concentration; ....
well said.
Tom Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
grant

Attitude is huge in suceeding no matter what you are doing in life. When it comes to spearfishing I'd have to say it is just as important as the gear you are using. When I dive I expect to have fun. Nine times out of ten I do. I also expect to get fish. In all honesty I probably wouldn't dive if I didn't think I was going to get something. It's easy to psych your self out and think about all the mistakes we make. I choose instead to focus on my sucesses. Once I started doing this my catch rate improved significantly. My biggest success to date is not killing myself in the ocean, everytime I make it back to land successful trip as far as I'm concerned. The worst thing we can do in my opininon is dwell on missed shots and worry about what our dive buddies are catching. The best thing is just get in the water.
grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Everdai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
I can certainly tell the difference between when I am hunting with my gun, and when I am just diving or taking pictures
Seriously, all of those big calicos that are usually very wary will come right up to me when you're just out diving for fun, but they aren't having any of it when i'm hunting.

I just can't figure out how to relax the same as when I'm out for fun as when I'm looking for some din-din.

Props to you MMAGuy for figuring that out!
Everdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:45 AM   #20
SC Short Stick
Grill It!

quiet is everything...i notice the vibration of my bands sometimes. I keep no metal on metal contact, except shaft and gun. Ive always been taught to appreciate nature, so i do...then i kill it

SC Short Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Short Stick View Post
quiet is everything...
Nope. Right mindframe and you can be loud as hell and still the fish will come. Wrong mindframe and it doesn't mater how quet and technically perfect you are, you won't see squat.

Ineresting thread

I gota disagree with DBF too (no offense) when it comes to concentration.

Concentration is bad. Concentration equals tension. Tension equals bigger signature to the fish. Bigger signature equals less fish comeing around.

Key is to be the stock 1992 white honda accord on the freeway, to be so bland and unobtrusive as to be overlooked by boh predators and prey.

An attitude of"I'm here, but no threat to anybody......", coupled with complete relaxation and, well, zennish detachment - flaoating in the moment - on the other hand... Fish just swim right up to you

Atitude is everything
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #22
Smudge
Squid

Looking back over your shoulder is priceless. If you see a fish, and the fish sees you, look at something else. So will the fish! First time it worked I cracked my self up. Turned around completely, while leaving my gun pointed at the fish actually! And the fish turned around to see what I was looking at!! Granted it was a kahala, but that's just a yellowtail's big cousin...
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #23
slughunter
Tyranny of evil men.

Send a message via AIM to slughunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
Key is to be the stock 1992 white honda accord on the freeway, to be so bland and unobtrusive as to be overlooked by boh predators and prey.
I hate the white honda with 4 doors. there are just too dam many of them to see the ONE!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Facts of life:

The MLPA is bad science.
slughunter is offline   Reply With Quote