Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Markio
Shoot to eat

Any CA hawaiian sling hunters?

I want to shoot some fish with a hawaiian sling. I know the challenges involved and I'm looking forward to it. I would probably start with rubber lips and sargos and and once that is master graduate to a calico.

I was wondering if any one in CA uses a Hawaiian sling and I'd like to hear about their experiences.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Any CA hawaiian sling hunters?

Do you mean polespear, or true sling?

We generally do not use slings because we would lose too many shafts in the dirty waters we dive in here.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Markio
Shoot to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Do you mean polespear, or true sling?

We generally do not use slings because we would lose too many shafts in the dirty waters we dive in here.
I mean real slings. I got a couple of polespears and I love them. But I'd like to try the slings.

Viz can be a problem for retrieval no doubt, but I think it might be a matter of choosing your days to use the sling, may be in the shallows in a calm day.

I wonder if the ones for sale in the market are as efficient as they get and what types and length of shafts I can use with them.

I saw the headhunter model with a reel but it looks a little cumbersome.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
jdeirmend

Markio,

In my early days, I loved the HS, and used one with some success on reef fish for a while. It has some advantages vs. a speargun depending on what you're attempting to harvest and how much of it. I.e., if you just wanna get in and bang out a limit of schooling perch, sargo or rockfish, for instance, the sling can be an easier tool to use to this end. I have taken plenty of cabezon with them, some good size, and one could perhaps take an aggressive lingcod as well.

However, they are very limited in terms of what sort of desirable, large gamefish you can safely take with them, and using one in SoCal necessitates a tethered shaft. The tether keeps your effective range to around 5-7 feet, even with a crap ton of upper body strength and a very powerful sling.

If you're still undeterred, check out http://hawaiiansling.net/. Ray Uppstrom, the guy who sells these, is very approachable, and I think his product (which is customizeable) is the best thing available for the price on the market. You will also want to purchase a monofilament slinky coil, and probably get a 5/16" shaft with a slide ring configuration, as well as a threaded tip.

In all honesty, though, the investment necessary to make it practicable, plus the limited kinds of fish that you can hunt with it, means that you might as well just use a speargun.