Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: What kind of line do you use?
Monofilament 73 61.86%
Spectra 16 13.56%
Dyneema 18 15.25%
Kevlar 4 3.39%
Other 12 10.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
ArmstrME

Question Best Spearfishing Line? Tennis String?

I'm new, and I just got a Riffe Standard #3 that came with black monofilament line. It's bulky and stiff. I'd like to find the strongest synthetic fiber with the smallest diameter. It looks like Dyneema/Spectra are the standard, but I do not necessarily want to stick with "conventional lines." I want to find the newest/best material, even if it wasn't made specifically for spearfishing.

I've seen a variety of different fibers, and I also saw a reference to someone using tennis string...sounds risky.

Any recommendations? Anyone use any non-conventional line fibers?

Thanks!

Last edited by ArmstrME; 12-01-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: clarity
ArmstrME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
ChadMcD
Vegas Spearo

Re: Best Spearfishing Line?

After trying out all these new cutting edge lines.... you will soon come back to conventional lines. Mono is cheap, doesn't tangle easy and has memory. There's a reason so many spearos used it.... it works. If you don't like mono, the Rob Allen line is more rigid than normal spectra/ dyneema and may work for you. I know some people use thin cable now too, which Mako spearguns actually sells. I think that would be a nightmare though if you got tangled in it underwater
ChadMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
ArmstrME

Yeah, the engineer in me wants to find "the best", but I'll probably end up at "the most practical" as usual.

I was looking at some SS cable but hadn't thought about getting tangled. One strike for cable!

So you still like monofilament even though it is thicker and curls more than braided lines?

Is there really much difference in the amount of drag b/w mono and braided?
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Rob Allen
Sponsor

If 2 identical guns are set up, identical in terms of shaft, barrel length and rubbers etc but, rig one with 2mm mono and the other with 2mm braided cord. You then shot them one in each hand, one just after the other, you will feel the difference. The one with Braid will feel much slower, it seems to slow the shaft speed down enough to notice it. I assume it is because the braid absorbs water and makes the rig line heavier to drag through the water.

Regards,
Rob Allen.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
ArmstrME

Very interesting, Rob! Thanks for your expertise. So, it sounds like, even if I used a 1mm braided line, it may perform similarly to a 2mm monofilament as far as drag goes?

Maybe I watch too much NOVA, but I still feel like there has to be a new polymer out there, or a line made for a different application, since spectra/dyneema were invented over 30 years ago.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Rob Allen
Sponsor

We sell 1,8mm dyneema. This is a tight weave and a smaller diameter than the 2mm mono. This makes it about the same speed as the 2mm mono. The 1,8mm dyneema is stronger than the 2mm mono but if you go down to 1,5mm dyneema it is about the same break strength as 2mm mono. I would not go as low as 1mm.

We are always looking for better lines, the dyneema we use is pure dyneema, made in one of the Nordic countries, I think Denmark. This is still the best we can find. There are a few “knock offs” especially out of China. The tests we have done show the Chinese stuff to be about 30% weaker and around 30% cheaper.

Many sell a blend and claim it is pure dyneema, be careful what you buy. One problem with dyneema, although it is much stronger than mono it has almost zero stretch. It is possible to break 1,8mm knotted dyneema with one hand with a shock load. Mono looses about 30% of its break strain to knots and or crimps. Dyneema looses around 50% The best way to use dyneema is to sew it. You lose around 5%.

Regards,
Rob Allen.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
jstiver09

What kind of fish, size? Will you be more likely to lose a fish due to hard runs or against structure (abrasion)? The 3/64" (1.2mm) SS uncoated cable from The Snare Shop is perfect for reef fish and medium sized fish around wrecks. It is super fast, noticeably faster than mono. I have landed big fish cobia, AJs on this stuff and yet to have it fail. However, I also have some 1/16" for my big gun.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
ArmstrME

I like the idea of cable, but what about the entanglement issue? Also, will cable chew into the wooden stock of my gun? I will be fishing west coast of FL and gulf, likely natural & artificial reefs, so abrasion will be an issue.

Are there any knots that preserve more strength in a braided line? Does anyone have a good link to a dyneema sewing tutorial? I'm only finding how to splice circular loops.

Thanks for all the advice! I was going to buy some 1mm Sporasub dyneema, but I think I'm going to go bigger after Rob's post.

So, no one has used something different for line? I though the tennis line idea was interesting. I also like the snare line suggestion.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

My friend gave me a roll of mono-spectra. Basically a spectra jacket around a mono core. Interesting stuff. He used it once, but after shooting a decent sized fish, noticed that it had stretched too much for his liking. I may use it in the future for smaller guns, or even wishbones, but I don't think I'll be using it for shooting line.

You also have the option of coated cable. Same abrasion resistance as cable, but with the plastic sheath, it will not scratch your gun up. However, you still have the problem of cable not being easy to cut in an emergency.

I personally use yellow 400# momoi outrigger line. Mori has done some tests on it, and it shows that it isn't the best line out there, but I like it for its brightness underwater. Here in CA, we have lots of kelp, which can obscure the light from the surface at depth. When you're cutting a large fish out of the kelp, the last thing you want to do is cut your shooting line. Having it nearly glow really helps out in situations like that. It's also fairly inexpensive, and replacing it takes no more than 5 minutes.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

For gulf waters mono is perfect! Abrasion isn't an issue for me I have used the same line for 2+ yrs and my brother hasn't changed his line in over four and it is still good as new! If your scuba diving for reef fish ie: hog fish, snapper, grouper, and sheepshead freeshaft is the way to go! A line would only be needed for AJ, cobia, and cuda!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
ArmstrME

Sounds like good advice, spearhunter11. I like the idea of having the most advanced material, but I ultimately want to use works best where I'll be fishing. Gotta work on my accuracy if I'm gonna try freeshafting, though!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

You don't always have to stone em just get a good downward angle shot! You will like Freeshafting, it's a different way to challenge yourself!
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
iwcsmith

Cable is the best for not wrapping around your neck and strangling you in the water. I hunt the rigs and dyneema/mono/spectra all hang in the water, buoyant, just waiting to wrap around one of your appendages. I use the first 30 ft of orange dyneema and the rest cable. That's my opinion. Plus coated cable doesn't fray or lose integrity the same way as the other types.
iwcsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Best line I ever used was this old memospec stuff made by picasso. It was a mono filament core with a super tight dynemma weaved jacket around the mono. The stuff was indestructable. Its been so many years since I shot it I cant remember if it shot slower than mono though like rob is talking about
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Putmeincoach
Nate

Send a message via Skype™ to Putmeincoach

Memospec sounds interesting, do you know of a supplier?
Putmeincoach is offline   Reply With Quote