Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
ApneicExponent

Seasoned Fisher- New Spearo

Hello Everyone, hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. I am brand-new to spear fishing, as in I've never been! Grew up surfing and every so often while waiting for sets I would dive down and goof around, I've always loved the ocean and being in it any way I could. I've spent the last couple years kayak fishing and have had a blast! While on a recent excursion I was watching some guys dive around the kelp and although they didn't land anything I decided that was the perfect sport to get into to expand my involvement with the ocean and open another avenue of sport fishing. I've been reading reviews and have collected some gear to start: 110 cm RA gun, Cressi 3000 LD fins, Aqualung Sphera mask, Cressi snorkel, weight belt, and a 6' one-piece JBL polespear which I sealed and fitted with a 1/2" band and Linghunt custom 18" flopper. So far all I need is weights and a wetsuit. I'm on the fence between a Mako, Rob Allen, and Nautilus but I'll have to pick one soon. I just wanted to give a shout-out and get the word out that I'm interested in tagging along if anyone is willing to let me join?! I am new to diving but very athletic and very safe, I'm not looking to start out with those guys that are just trying to max their bottom times and shoot anything that moves. The rule of getting into freediving from the wife was that I always go with someone so I am trying to setup a network. I live in the Antelope Valley so I'm open to anything from Santa Barbara to Newport. Looking forward to meeting some cool people and sharing some great experiences!
ApneicExponent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
mickey5150

Re: Seasoned Fisher- New Spearo

hit me up if you're ever in san diego (north part mostly). still some good warm diving to be had!
mickey5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Zenon

Enjoy it friend. Sounds like you have a good start.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
newbiee1987

Welcome brother spearo... hit me up if you want to dive, I always dive on Sundays
newbiee1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
HEX
Hector F.

Welcome, looks like you pieced your gear right.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Welcome to SB !!

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #7
unkabonka

Ah yes... seasoned fisher!! My recipe is very straightforward.

Start with 4 OZ of your favorite seasoning

And add one (1) furry mustelid!

unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #8
Benny

Not toooo much seasoning though....Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrie Fisher.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	210359
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #9
socal760

Hey man I'm also new to spear fishing, used a pole spear for a few years but bought my first gun 2 weeks ago. went out at La Jolla last sunday, looking to meet up with a few other people, hit me up.
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneicExponent View Post
Hello Everyone, hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. I am brand-new to spear fishing, as in I've never been! Grew up surfing and every so often while waiting for sets I would dive down and goof around, I've always loved the ocean and being in it any way I could. I've spent the last couple years kayak fishing and have had a blast! While on a recent excursion I was watching some guys dive around the kelp and although they didn't land anything I decided that was the perfect sport to get into to expand my involvement with the ocean and open another avenue of sport fishing. I've been reading reviews and have collected some gear to start: 110 cm RA gun, Cressi 3000 LD fins, Aqualung Sphera mask, Cressi snorkel, weight belt, and a 6' one-piece JBL polespear which I sealed and fitted with a 1/2" band and Linghunt custom 18" flopper. So far all I need is weights and a wetsuit. I'm on the fence between a Mako, Rob Allen, and Nautilus but I'll have to pick one soon. I just wanted to give a shout-out and get the word out that I'm interested in tagging along if anyone is willing to let me join?! I am new to diving but very athletic and very safe, I'm not looking to start out with those guys that are just trying to max their bottom times and shoot anything that moves. The rule of getting into freediving from the wife was that I always go with someone so I am trying to setup a network. I live in the Antelope Valley so I'm open to anything from Santa Barbara to Newport. Looking forward to meeting some cool people and sharing some great experiences!
You should REALLY look for another mask. That mask is for freediving on a line, not spearfishing. Too much distortion, especially on the peripheral areas. If you think of replacing it, the MAKO mini mask is my all time favorite. Super low volume and great visibility
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
waterman86

Welcome
waterman86 is offline   Reply With Quote