Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 06-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
IAGUY

Tent Camping Marathon area

Is there anywhere around Marathon where we can anchor or beach our boat at night and tent it for a night or two on the beach?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
sealark

Re: Tent Camping Marathon area

Plenty in the back country. BUT it's primitive like nothing and plenty of mosquitoes. If military sigsbee park has campsights for tents no hookups. Again plenty of no see ems and mosquitoes after dark.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:06 AM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Noseeums are your true enemy. You won't be able to put on enough repellant to keep them off your scalp and in your ears. I've only camped there in a camper van w/ A/C. It was our safe zone to get my wife and I to safety. Camping in a tent with that heat w/ those sons a bitches would be miserable to me, from my experience.
I'd rather just cover myself w/ mud than to deal with such. Not much of a pleasant trip, IMO.
There are some cheap motels with canal boat access on the Atlantic side whereby you can walk less than 20 steps to your A/C'd motel room. Tavernier has been one of my favorite locals.
Good luck
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
diverlen

I lived in the Keys, Summerland for 7 years, right now I don't think it is legal to attempt to camp on the beach there, you might want to check with the Sheriff's Department on that aspect. If illegal, the Sheriff will make you move and in the process give you a ticket, so please check before going.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
IAGUY

Yeah, I know the bugs can be bad. We have done this many times in Bimini and Bahamas but those are far more remote.

More just wondering if it is legal or not. If its private property or not. Not sure what the back country is but I was thinking like the deserted Atlantic side of Boot Key or long key??

Really just dont want to set up and have someone come kick us out in the middle of the night with no where else to go. Worst case we anchor in a cove and sleep on the boat but a small camp fire at dinner is always nice.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
jbsrq

https://koa.com/campgrounds/sugarloaf-key/
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote