Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-21-2022, 08:49 PM   #1
3464james

Magnet in barrel of open muzzle gun

Has anyone tried putting a magnet in the barrel of an open shaft woody? I find the open shaft architecture difficult to reload in open water as the shaft keeps falling out of the barrel groove before I can get the bands placed. My thought was to indent a not too strong magnet in the wood to retain the shaft until the bands are in place. I am using a JBL Woody Elite sawed off magnum.
Any other suggestions?
3464james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #2
Island Rat

Re: Magnet in barrel of open muzzle gun

If u can get a magnet to stick to stainless your on to a real $ maker.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:20 PM   #3
popgun pete

Already been done, Riffe uses a magnet in their Euro model. Some stainless steels are magnetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Riffe Euro Mag Track.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	247959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Riffe Mag Track patent diagram.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	247960  

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-21-2022 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Added a diagram
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:44 AM   #4
Bob Ballew

All my wood guns use a sliding ring on the shaft with line attached to the ring...wood is notched on bottom of muzzle..when you lay the line in the notch and pull it tight, with two or three wraps of line, the shaft stays put...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-22-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:34 AM   #5
popgun pete

A lot of guns use shafts with tabs, so no slide ring on the shaft at all. I use a closed muzzle on my slotted shaft guns, but my tabbed shaft guns have an open muzzle. Some guys used a high hoop muzzle guide to let tabbed shafts fly through underneath, in fact Riffe used to sell them as an add-on.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:19 AM   #6
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Already been done, Riffe uses a magnet in their Euro model. Some stainless steels are magnetic.
Ferritic and martensitic stainless steels are magnetic, austenitic stainless steels are non-magnetic. Higher nickel content, typically around 8%, maintains austenitic crystal structure down to room temperature. Chromium increases corrosion resistance.

Typical steels change phases as they cool, and the resulting structure is dependent upon cooling rate and alloy content. Martensitic stainless is typically quenched and tempered to achieve hardness and toughness.

If you watch red hot rolled rebar on a rack, it contracts visibly as it cools, then expands as it changes crystal structure from FCC austenite to FCT ferrite, then contracts again as it cools to room temperature. Corrosion resistance is provided by the black Fe3O4 oxide layer.

My shafts are 17-4 ph stainless, a precipitation hardening martensitic SS having 17% chromium for decent corrosion resistance.

Last edited by PigStikr; 04-22-2022 at 04:30 AM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:11 AM   #7
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
Ferritic and martensitic stainless steels are magnetic, austenitic stainless steels are non-magnetic. Higher nickel content, typically around 8%, maintains austenitic crystal structure down to room temperature. Chromium increases corrosion resistance.

Typical steels change phases as they cool, and the resulting structure is dependent upon cooling rate and alloy content. Martensitic stainless is typically quenched and tempered to achieve hardness and toughness.

If you watch red hot rolled rebar on a rack, it contracts visibly as it cools, then expands as it changes crystal structure from FCC austenite to FCT ferrite, then contracts again as it cools to room temperature. Corrosion resistance is provided by the black Fe3O4 oxide layer.

My shafts are 17-4 ph stainless, a precipitation hardening martensitic SS having 17% chromium for decent corrosion resistance.
Took the words right out of my mouth!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
Island Rat

That makes perfect sense if you don’t think about it.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #9
3464james

Thank you for your responses. Even though the shaft is stainless it is still retains some degree of magnetism, as explained by PIGSTIKR. Unfortunately the wood portion of the barrel does not have a groove for a line wrap and it uses the Euro style wings so no closed muzzel. If I can't find a solution I will sell the gun and buy a Riffe. An additional problem I had was the plastic front that attaches to the wooden shaft sat higher than the wood. I put it in the milling machine and milled it to the same depth as the wood, thus making the steel shaft lay even in the groove. Not impressed with JBL.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:57 PM   #10
popgun pete

Is this the muzzle you are talking about?
Old 04-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #11
Bob Ballew

...One of the problems with closed muzzles is that unless the opening is tight, the slings can catch in the back of the muzzle and rip the muzzle loose...which is why we went to open muzzles ...there is also more drag slowing down the shaft due to the rubbers pulling the back end of the shaft upward as the shaft exits thru the muzzle...
...Tabs using an over top line to the muzzle end can also get wrapped in the slings with line wrapping into the slings as they flip forward...hince, why we use slide rings that allow the line to stay under the gun and out of the way...This also allows faster loading of the gun into the track rather than trying to fit the shaft into the small hole of the muzzle...But, it all comes down to what you are comfortable with..
...The downside of ring sliders is that you want to have the welded "U" shape line tie to the back of the slide ring, or it will also create friction drag on the shaft due to the pulling motion on the longest part of the slider..

...Moral: " Catching" tuna in a can at Costco has it's merits

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-22-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:40 PM   #12
3464james

Yes, that is the JBL muzzle I have and frankly I am not impressed. The small plastic wings are too small. I queried JBL about this and they said I could purchase their latest model which has metal wings to secure the line. I have declined that option. Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2022, 06:45 PM   #13
3464james

Bob Ballew, what speargun has the features you talk about? I have two closed muzzle guns but purchased the open muzzle as an upgrade. What you stated about the line getting caught up in the bands is a regular feature and makes reloading a time consuming pain.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:22 PM   #14
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3464james View Post
Yes, that is the JBL muzzle I have and frankly I am not impressed. The small plastic wings are too small. I queried JBL about this and they said I could purchase their latest model which has metal wings to secure the line. I have declined that option. Any suggestions?
If they made this change as a fix then I suggest you go with it. Should be cheaper than buying another gun.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #15
3464james

Pete, I asked that specific question to JBL; they told me that the design of my gun was not compatible with the new metal tabs on the current version. I asked about having them modify my muzzel and mill an indent for the line. They said no. I don't like spending the money it seems a waste. So the next question is: are their any thoughts about modifying what is there?