Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
Smolt

1000 steps beach

I am thinking of checking out Laguna beach, anyone ever dived here? Any specific tips on where to look around? I think I saw some kelp on the north side at the end of the beach, anything around the south or further out?
Smolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
Xylophone

Re: 1000 steps beach

I'm not too familiar with the area but you might want to look into your local MPA boundaries.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
riff
><>

http://www.ocmarineprotection.org/recreation.html
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
Smolt

Yup, cool thanks. Its just south of the protected zone
Smolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
LookPointShoot

1000 steps is outside the protected zone. You can spearfish there and catch lobster, no other inverts allowed.

I would rate it a decent but not amazing dive spot. It tends to hold better conditions than most of the spots to the south. There are enough nice calico bass there that on a good weather day you can expect to see some nice ones. But like all the hard-hit beaches, the bass are skittish in proportion to their size, so getting nicer fish is often a real challenge, which can be enjoyable actually.

You'll find an occasional random hali out in the sand straight off the rock outcroppings, but I do mean random and occasional.

Sheephead mostly small, with the occasional bruiser, just like everywhere else.

It is an OK spot for spotfin/corbs, there are far more consistent spots but it can occasionally hold big schools.

For me, I only dove that spot when I literally wanted to do the stairs for exercise.
But keep in mind I just shoredove it a couple dozen times. I'm not one of these guys with 20 years experience who knows every inch of every spot. But I do think my description matches what the average diver would experience.

Pros:
+Parking often difficult during peak hours, esp in summertime, but FREE!
+Bass give a good challenge and hone the hunting skills, feels like an accomplishment to shoot a good one
+Generally better vis than major spots to the south

Cons
- heavy pressure
- it's not the best spot around for any particular fish, nor is it the best sightseeing for those dives when you're basically snorkeling with a speargun
- it seems like it's literally a thousand stairs (which can also be a pro if you're looking for a leg workout)
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
jimglover1

Went to 1000 steps yesterday and there was a "NO FISHING" footnote added to the sign. Can anyone verify the validity of this?
jimglover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimglover1 View Post
Went to 1000 steps yesterday and there was a "NO FISHING" footnote added to the sign. Can anyone verify the validity of this?
It should be legal still
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

I could be wrong, but, last I heard, the good ladies on the city council made the whole city a preserve under the city Municipal Code..?
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
dctrjayyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
I could be wrong, but, last I heard, the good ladies on the city council made the whole city a preserve under the city Municipal Code..?
I don't think they have authority over the water, right?
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
VicT

That is correct. This tactic has been done in the past. Bark, but no bite. Only state or federal authorities can designate areas no fishing.
VicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
jimglover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
A bunch of people that probably never go there making decisions for me? I've been fishing and diving there for nearly 40 years. It's like losing a best friend.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #12
jimglover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
So the only places in all of Orange County are Crystal Cove and Corona Del Mar? wow.....
Salt Creek and Dana Strand are still an option...
Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #13
VicT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimglover1 View Post
A bunch of people that probably never go there making decisions for me? I've been fishing and diving there for nearly 40 years. It's like losing a best friend.
Hi Jim - Only State or Federal authorities can designate an area no fishing. And can be confirmed by contacting Fish and Wildlife. City Board cannot close an area.
VicT
VicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
jimglover1

Thanks Vic. I appreciate the clarification and encouragement.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 PM   #15
Bob Ballew

...Since most of my diving is at the islands, I was a bit rusty on mainland regs...But, according to my online research, a good chunk of Laguna is a no take zone...It shows a State Marine Reserve (red-no take) from Abalone Point south to Goff island and a State Marine Conservation Area (purple-no take) from Goff south to Table Rock...which I recall, the good ladies of the city council were responsible for implementing some years back. Aliso Creek, where I dove many a competition meet is also closed...
...North of the city limits (north end) up to Corona Del Mar is a SMCA (blue) zone but, take is allowed and south of Laguna from Table Rock to 3 Arch bay is a SMCA with take allowed down to the Dana Pt. headlands....All still in effect as far as I can tell...I dove Corona Del Mar beach for halibut this week, but, the s/w swell stirred up the sand on the south facing beaches, creating almost 0 vis...did see a couple of tails disappearing into the gloom near the breakwater...
...Since my boat is in front for some maintenance, I dug out my F&W Guide to the Southern California Marine Protected Areas off the Parker, and boom...there it is, on pages 38-40.... Boy, would I love to dive lobster on the Montage Resort reefs (illegal)....
...All divers, new and old, should truck it over to the nearest F&W office and pick up a copy of the Guide...just might save some of you an expensive fine, a wasted day in court and possible loss of dive gear....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 06-22-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote