Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 AM   #61
Behslayer

Re: Palapas Ventana Flop

This thread is a bit Silly. I never been to Palapas Ventana or met Tim Hatler in person, but I've had 100 gun customers go down there to dive over the years and make some outstanding captures such as FAT 252# Yellowfin, 112# Wahoo, Huge Groupers, Marlin, etc..and I've never heard a bad thing. Maybe the diving was just off when you were there or the fish were deeper, or your timing didn't work out, I often go home empty handed when I'm being selective. It does suck that the engines weren't working well, but sometimes Engine shit happens. I've heard worse stories of engine problems in the history of Spearfishing adventures. Tim Hatler built Palapas as a Spearfishing Resort from scratch. He also runs some very productive Liveaboard trips in Mexico and Panama. He hasn't been in business for 20 years because he's a hack and doesn't show his customers a good time. I've never heard a bad report from either Palapas or Punta Mita from anyone I've spoken with and this includes a Lot of people who had a great time and shot a Heap of fish.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #62
Bob Ballew

You are absolutely correct....although.....I still have lots of popcorn to use up!
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #63
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
This thread is a bit Silly. I never been to Palapas Ventana or met Tim Hatler in person, but I've had 100 gun customers go down there to dive over the years and make some outstanding captures such as FAT 252# Yellowfin, 112# Wahoo, Huge Groupers, Marlin, etc..and I've never heard a bad thing. Maybe the diving was just off when you were there or the fish were deeper, or your timing didn't work out, I often go home empty handed when I'm being selective. It does suck that the engines weren't working well, but sometimes Engine shit happens. I've heard worse stories of engine problems in the history of Spearfishing adventures. Tim Hatler built Palapas as a Spearfishing Resort from scratch. He also runs some very productive Liveaboard trips in Mexico and Panama. He hasn't been in business for 20 years because he's a hack and doesn't show his customers a good time. I've never heard a bad report from either Palapas or Punta Mita from anyone I've spoken with and this includes a Lot of people who had a great time and shot a Heap of fish.
How does Tim go from 17 years in business to 20 in just a handful of posts (brownies points for you).

Never heard of anyone not having a great time at Palapas Ventana with no heap of fish? Well, now you have

Pass the popcorn Bob!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!

Last edited by carrasco; 08-05-2019 at 12:34 AM.
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #64
Dannowar

Never dove with PV personally but I’ve been a huge fan of their flashers. It absolutely blows my mind you didn’t see any game fish. Like...it’s almost impossible. This was a slow day.....

And as for the broken down pangas, I’d say you got lucky. I’ve been in the nicest pangas. I’ve been in the shittiest. I had a panguero run a ground on a reef with no radio. I’ve been in a panga with fiberglass so thin you could see the water underneath. I’ve been in a top of the line panga that the engine stopped working. At the end of the day, yea you may not have a cooler full of fish, but you got to dive CERRALVO! Take the loss like everyone else has their whole lives and don’t let it discourage you for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #65
carrasco

First off, I want to say that I appreciate your message.
But man, our definitions of “good luck” differ tremendously! Except when it comes to fish apparently.

That is a great hunt!
“It absolutely blows my mind you didn’t see any game fish. Like... it’s almost impossible.”
I thought the same thing before going there, otherwise, I would not have gone in the first place. Think about it; You have more big fish in the picture than 11 guys got, over the course of three days on five boats at palapas Ventana. That’s not even hit and miss, that’s miss, miss, miss. That’s on top of the boat issues.
I don’t care who you are, there is absolutely no way anyone would be happy about that unless they are damn fools.

That’s what I mean by “Palapas Ventana flop.”

And, I am not discouraged. My friend and I are already booking our next outing to Puerto Vallarta Mexico.

Last edited by carrasco; 08-05-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #66
Kingspear
Dive And Let Die

I agree the TV complaint is stupid....it's Baja.

That said, getting charged if you didn't get to dive because of weather or a boat breakdown is not fair business. Im not mad if an engine breaks down because I get it but dont charge me for a charter that didnt happen. You can't charge the client if they couldn't get in the water.

Ephraim

Kingspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #67
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingspear View Post
I agree the TV complaint is stupid....it's Baja.

That said, getting charged if you didn't get to dive because of weather or a boat breakdown is not fair business. Im not mad if an engine breaks down because I get it but dont charge me for a charter that didnt happen. You can't charge the client if they couldn't get in the water.
After reading all the posts, yours included, of people who visit Baja more regularly than I do, I guess not having a television in the rooms is not that uncommon.

We did go in the water, but the breakdowns contributed to our lack of success and were a frustration that should not have happened. Consider just how profitable the resort is and how nonsensical it is to run the operation so lean as to use engines that are less than reliable. All claims of daily upkeep and constant maintenance are nullified when two boats break down in a three day period. Our complaint is as a direct result of the operators being flat-out cheap. I would expect an operation that is that profitable to have new engines on their boats at least every three years. I work hard for my money and highly value my time off- I expect most folks are like minded so reviews like these are important in making an educated decision as to whether to go to a particular resort or pass on it.

So far through the thread, there are many people who have had a blast there and only a few that have not. This review of the resort should if anything help the place improve and maybe retire engines that are constantly running at the verge of breakdown.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #68
diveincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post

From the start:
1. If you don’t pay in cash, you pay 4% more but of course he doesn’t tell you til you run your credit card.

2. If there is a group larger than yours, then your group becomes less important service-wise (i.e., slow and ancient Mercury 2 stroke engine and an inexperienced captain to boot, wait staff anticipating a fatter tip neglect you).

3. There is no Television in the room so if you don’t support the “resort” by consuming drink, well then you’re SOL for unwinding in the room.

4. If you have religious dietary restrictions, who cares, they will give you pork!

5. The resort is far from anywhere and leaving requires a “tour.” But, a tour is anywhere from $80 to $130 so make sure you leave the women with lots of free cash. Otherwise, they are SOL too.

Make sure you are ready to hear, “well, thats why they call it fishing and not catching, ha ha ha”- when you are there three days and catch a total of 6 fish you could have caught in Catalina.

In case you read, “well the fish are deep,” the guide that dove with me an I hit 60-70 feet and saw nothing larger than 4 lbs.

My recommendation is no surprise- stay clear of this place. I am sure there are others who have had a great time but we spent over $5000 and returned super pissed!

Buyer beware!
Sorry to read your story.
We had a great time every time we went.
Been treated great every time.
Saw wahoos on every trip. Also did some great reefs.
Tim shot a Marlin right next to me. Marlin was swimming @25'
My girlfriend spears with me so she was happy. We also saw sealions and whales.
Definitely rent a car so you can drive up there and drive around if needed.
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #69
carrasco

Yup,
Definitely more positive experience from members on this board than bad up to this point. Although that doesn’t ameliorate our frustration with the place or our experience.
As stated previously, I would neither visit again, nor recommend Palapas Ventana. Interestingly though, most folks that I have spoken to personally about the place have said that they would not return there either.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #70
Mossback

The only problem i see here is the owner jumping in the water to spear. big no no!!!! also make sure the boats are working properly i would be pissed too. Carry on
Mossback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #71
tommy7

Well Well, I lost my copy of Farmers Almanac so it was good to stop into this thread and learn that "Winter has come early this year"!....
Old 09-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #72
Castor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy7 View Post
Well Well, I lost my copy of Farmers Almanac so it was good to stop into this thread and learn that "Winter has come early this year"!....
THAT was the best comment I’ve seen in a while on here. Too funny!
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #73
Justice Jonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Trader View Post
For the last 5 years my buddies and I drive into Baja with my 22 ft boat. We initially stop at San Lucas Cove for 4 to 6 days of diving at San Marcos Island or venture to Island Tortuga. We typically scare up a few 20 lb Cabrilla, some 20 lb Yellowtail some Parrotfish and a small Gulf Grouper or two. We also sample the Chocolate clams. After that we head north for a few more days in Bahia De Los Angeles We always fill our freezer there and last year filled up a freezer at Daggetts also. This last year 4 of us did this trip and it cost us each $1,000. All gasoline, Food, Camp fees, Booze ( there was a lot of that) Mexican fishing license, car and boat insurance. We each got 50 lbs of filleted fish to take home. Yes that is 200 lbs of fillets total.
The boat never runs out of gas. No tips for piss poor Pangueros. No excuses.
I have posted our trip looking for others to come with us, but typically no one responds.
I can think of no reason that anyone would really want to join us on our adventure.
It really is too expensive and we really have no fun.
I would post pics, but everyone would think that they are photo shopped.

Would loooove to go on a trip like this. What time of year do ya usually go?
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #74
Markio
Shoot to eat

I don't know why people continue to use PV.

I know 4 Different parties with not good experiences there. I am sure the place can produce, I dove the area and it looks like it could be amazing in the right day and with the right guide.

Just go to el Sargento, talk to the guy who owns the seafood place everyone knows, ask him for a panga and VRBO and Airbnb has tons of places to stay at a reasonable price.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #75
pierreyaldo

Who goes to La Paz and demands a TV? Gotta love Americans.