Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
coastal

Re: Belize: Traveling with gear, suggestions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
Here we are 5 years later. We lived in AC for almost 2 years, then on Roatan for over 3 (no spear guns there) I flew with 2 guns (had one shipped) from the states, intact packed in a sports tube with other gear. No problem with customs. When we moved off AC to Roatan, I dismantled the guns. I took off the handles, bands…even untied them and pack those in a sport tube as well. Customs, especially in Belize is a real crap shoot. We’ve been through at least 20 times and only got hassled twice…I’m pretty sure they wanted a bribe, which is very common down there (don’t do it).

I’d recommend taking the gun apart, wrap your spears in bubble wrap act friendly and natural when you go through. It’s fishing gear….personal use. Burn that term into your brain and use it. Customs is extremely sensitive to people bringing in ANYTHING to sell off. Personal use.

Have a great time and if you end up in AC, send me a pm and I’ll put you in touch with some good local guides.
Thanks for the insight. One of the guys made it in today with a spear gun in a kite bag...no questions. They were curious about if the kite was coming back into the US (concerned with selling it in Belize?). Still on the fence about bringing my nicer wood spear gun...Planning on my smaller spear gun and pole spear
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:34 AM   #17
Stonecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Thanks for the insight. One of the guys made it in today with a spear gun in a kite bag...no questions. They were curious about if the kite was coming back into the US (concerned with selling it in Belize?). Still on the fence about bringing my nicer wood spear gun...Planning on my smaller spear gun and pole spear
Yeah, the more you travel in CA, the more you’ll see that customs (and everything else) is consistently inconsistent. Mostly it depends on the agent. Be polite and be cool. The second you push back, you’ll have to empty out all your bags. I’ve seen that happen and it ain’t pretty. You should be fine with a shorter gun (120 or less) and a pole spear. Remember: “It’s personal use”
Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #18
coastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
Yeah, the more you travel in CA, the more you’ll see that customs (and everything else) is consistently inconsistent. Mostly it depends on the agent. Be polite and be cool. The second you push back, you’ll have to empty out all your bags. I’ve seen that happen and it ain’t pretty. You should be fine with a shorter gun (120 or less) and a pole spear. Remember: “It’s personal use”
All went well! My sportube was underneath 5-6 suitcases on a cart and went un-noticed by the customs desk.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote