Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:05 AM   #1
vamforce

Roller muzzles: with or without bearings

I was always curious what is this hype about bearings, ceramics, etc.
I have a Pathos Sniper R-115, and it shoots ok, at least for the first 4-5m.

Due to covid and closed borders, I downgraded my Pathos-Mannysub 110 inverter, prepared for Indo trips a year ago,

to an aftermarket ceramic standard roller with a kicker. So obviously I've got another Pathos Roller but ceramic...

Will the gun shoot better? Will it handle heavier shafts without abuse of the rollers? Will a shaft travel further, flatter and provide a better punch? Less recoil? Checking at sea is not ideal, too many factors influence the shot. Unless it's obvious that one type of roller delivers better results. In a meantime, I ran across interesting research which concludes: no difference between hollow and bearings! What's your take on that?
Cheers
http://www.stefano-soriano.it/index....=20&Itemid=143
vamforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Roller muzzles: with or without bearings

Roller bearings have less friction, but I think ceramic rollers are mainly about durability. There are glass bearings that do much the same job, but ceramic is very hard and unlikely to chip with particle intrusions into the roller path. Ideally stuff should not get into them, but under turbid conditions there are always fine particles in the water when shore diving and in shallower water.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #3
spearq8

The Mannysub roller head is definitely an improvement over the standard Pathos roller head. I did test this setup a while back and the Mannysub with ceramic bearings came out much better in power and accuracy. Only problem with ceramic is that it is very heavy and if you have a lead weight up front in the Pathos you should remove it to offset the extra weight of the ceramic. With the one 18mm small ID band with optimized band cut and used in double action, I got a 105 cm Sniper to shoot very close to power of 2 x 14mm small ID bands. You need to be careful with the roller as when you add power you will reach a point where the shaft starts diving and need to back off a little. Of course you can also add a booster band but in my case I didn't test that as with a 7mm shaft you simply can't absorb any more power to make an extra band worth the effort. I still prefer a well tuned classic setup as it is a little more powerful and takes about half the time to load with fewer things to go wrong.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Our testing showed great results with the ceramic bearings on our roller muzzles.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote