Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #46
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Re: Oregon spearfishing

Craig, you can read up on it here (pertinent info starts at the bottom the page) and here. Or you can just read below, taken from the flyer:

Freediving Certification Course AIDA2 With Yoram Zekri, Freediving vice-World Champion

July 18th – 20th and 25th – 27 th

This three day course will focus on diving safely and expanding your bottom time. You will learn how to recognize and avoid the pitfalls of the beginner freediver. In addition, you will have the opportunity to try for the first time Yoram's specialty discipline of “No limit” (descending with a weighted sled and ascending via parachute).

Because good preparation is essential in the quest for performance, you will also learn breathing and relaxation techniques, and become proficient with safety and security protocols. You will dive more comfortably, safer and deeper than ever before.

COST: $490 Spaces limited

Please pm me or Max (Northstar) for additional information.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #47
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by seylerc View Post

DBS - I'm not sure if I would be more into scuba or freedive in Oregon as I have yet to do any cold water freediving. It seems like there is certainly some strong feelings as far as the ethics of freediving vs SCUBA when diving with spears is concerned or at least there was in Japan with the free divers I spent time with. I guess I will have to see what the local feelings are. I'm also not sure how long I can hold my breath in cold water with a good tidal surge pushing me around

Lots of people scuba spear around here. No problem with it. In horrid vis it is the only way you can do it, and even in better vis some prefer it.
Here is a discussion about it:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=152050

And another:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=148113

Like Ken said: We are one family. We don't bash each other up here in the PNW.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #48
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycane View Post
hi I am new and have no idea how to start a thread
Go to this page:

http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Hit the New Thread button at the top left.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #49
seylerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Lots of people scuba spear around here. No problem with it. In horrid vis it is the only way you can do it, and even in better vis some prefer it.
Here is a discussion about it:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=152050

And another:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=148113

Like Ken said: We are one family. We don't bash each other up here in the PNW.
Thanks for the threadlinks North Star. They were a great introduction to what appears to be a great community of divers that are supportive and respectful. I think I found the right place.

From where I am (Eugene) it seems like the Fingers on the South Jetty in Newport would be a good place to start either free or SCUBA. I hunted those on SCUBA years back picking up Dungees, but the spear part is very new to me.

Anyone local able to run out there on weekends that wants to show a newb the right way to fill a stringer? Is it even any good this time of year?

Craig
seylerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #50
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by seylerc View Post
Thanks for the threadlinks North Star. They were a great introduction to what appears to be a great community of divers that are supportive and respectful. I think I found the right place.

From where I am (Eugene) it seems like the Fingers on the South Jetty in Newport would be a good place to start either free or SCUBA. I hunted those on SCUBA years back picking up Dungees, but the spear part is very new to me.

Anyone local able to run out there on weekends that wants to show a newb the right way to fill a stringer? Is it even any good this time of year?

Craig
Craig - The fingers are a good place to dive any time of the year. The vis varies a lot based on a variety of unpredictable factors, and I have never been able to predict when it will be good and when it will not. You just have to go and have a look.

The best time to dive is high slack tide - about an hour before and an hour afterward. Really pay attention to the tides, they can really rip in and out of there. If you stay behind/between the fingers you are protected pretty well, but outside of them you will get swept away. Try to pick a day when the tidal exchange is smaller, rather than larger. A 9 foot exchange makes massive current, turbulence, and bad vis as a result. A 4 foot exchange is a lot more diveable.

Getting over the rocks with scuba gear is tough, it is tough enough with free dive gear. But, it can be done, and either method works to dive there. Do what you are most comfortable with. Weekends are out with me, I dive weekdays.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #51
jabafish

Checking out the site to see whats up in OR spearfishing-wise. Moving to Bend soonly
(hopefully by the end of next month) from N. CA. Been shooting 'em up down there for
25 years or so (Mostly Mendo. and SLO counties). Heard good things and have been
out of the water the last 8 months and want to be done moving so l can get down to
the important stuff. Good diving JB
jabafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #52
North Star
Max

Welcome JB. It is a bit of a trip to the ocean from Bend, but others have done it - you just have to make a day of it. Hope you can get settled in soon and hit the water. I don't know if there is any freshwater spearfishing around Bend.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #53
Rickee_k

Goo'day everyone,
I'm the new kid on the block, both to spearing and the thread. I currently live in Portland freediving the rivers, lakes, and some costal trips and would love to hit up more of the coast soon. I'll be going out to barview in about a month, so hopefully the tides and wind will be good. I have been all over the westcoast surfing and such so I'm excited to get out there again. So if anyone would be willing to let me shadow them, I would love to meet up and pick your brain. Let me know
Rickee_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #54
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Welcome Rickee! Before committing to the long drive to the coast, check the conditions first on www.magicseaweed.com. Hope to see you in the water soon!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #55
Rickee_k

Oh yeah, definitely. MSW and I go way back. Sounds like a plan, hit me up if you ever need a dive partner!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #56
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Will do!
Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #57
Rickee_k

I'm up in Portland if anyone is looking for a dive partner. I'm not SCUBA certified, but I am a stickler for freediving and spearing. Hit me up!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #58
possum
Possum

What is up oregon.
i am going to be arriving in eugene in two days and after i find a room on craigslist ill be looking for a dive buddy. I am 27 and a ssi freedive instructor i worked in thailand for a little while but missed the gorgeous rain so ill be a lane student for winter and spring. i am looking for someone interested in training at least three times a week in a pool; dynamic and static and heck maybe even the odd apnea walk. But all this conditioning is for one thing, SPEARFISHING. i would like to spend a bit of time diving for crabs, abalone and of course shooting fish. so if your an experienced freediver in the area please let me know and if your not, maybe i can train you for a small fee ; )
thanks guys for your time cant wait to get wet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	733960_505128216215420_217935714_n.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	199496  
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #59
No I'm Josh
Sculpin Slayer

Possum, move to Portland!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #60
MikePierce170

Quote:
Originally Posted by No I'm Josh View Post
Possum, move to Portland!
+1. I'd be interested in doing some training on top of the training I already do haha
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote