Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #76
growingupninja
Lance

Re: 3D Printed Speargun (Inverted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiz View Post
I have just found a cheaper Chinese polycarb mix which I have now ordered thanks to your encouragement... should be here in a few days... I'll let you know how I get on.
I'm not so sure that plastic injection is the way forward though Lance... with developments the way they are going with desktop FDM printing we are now so very close to filaments which will match their manufactured counterparts... investing in tooling and so on seems somewhat outdated.
I get the feeling that the future is selling designs online which can then be 3D printed at home/office in an appropriate material is just around the corner. The amount of small/independent plastic manufacturer's in the UK now going out of business is at an all time high... large scale plastic manufacturing seems to have had its day perhaps.
Let me know how that filament works out. I have never had good results with any 'off brand' filaments so I finally quit experimenting and just pay for the Airwolf stuff (my printer is also an Airwolf).

I do agree 3D printing is the future, either consumers will have one or will just go to a local Amazon outlet that prints stuff on demand although I don't know if it is just around the corner. Definitely in our lifetime, though.

Large scale injection molding usually involves CNC aluminum and equipment that is cost effective for runs in the tens of thousands. The muzzles aren't injection molded (everybody assumes they are), the process is closer to the way custom parts are made by hand for the medical and film SFX industry, using older techniques that suitable for runs in the dozens or low hundreds.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #77
Ramon
Ramon

Re: 3D Printed Speargun

ARTIZ Fantástico

Is long enough, hard and tough the plastic 3D printer?

<º))))))>< <--------------<<

¿Es suficientemente duro, ligero y resistente el plástico de la impresora 3D?

Last edited by Ramon; 09-18-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #78
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
ARTIZ
Fantástico
¿es suficientemente duro el plástico de la impresora 3D?

Gracias por su comentarios Ramón .
He estado usando los 3 cañones prototipo durante el verano sin ningún problema en todos por lo que el plástico impregnado con carbón es de hecho lo suficientemente fuerte ... su duración es otra cuestión de rutina.

Thanks for your comments Ramon.
I have been using all 3 prototype guns over the summer with no problems at all so the carbon impregnated plastic is indeed strong enough... how long they actually last is another matter of course.

Last edited by artiz; 09-18-2016 at 12:45 AM.
artiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #79
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Let me know how that filament works out. I have never had good results with any 'off brand' filaments so I finally quit experimenting and just pay for the Airwolf stuff (my printer is also an Airwolf).

I do agree 3D printing is the future, either consumers will have one or will just go to a local Amazon outlet that prints stuff on demand although I don't know if it is just around the corner. Definitely in our lifetime, though.

Large scale injection molding usually involves CNC aluminum and equipment that is cost effective for runs in the tens of thousands. The muzzles aren't injection molded (everybody assumes they are), the process is closer to the way custom parts are made by hand for the medical and film SFX industry, using older techniques that suitable for runs in the dozens or low hundreds.
You are probably being sensible using branded filaments Lance... the Airwolf printers seem to be good all rounders too. I have certainly wasted a bit of cash on crap filament but if I don't try I won't know and at half the price of an Ultimaker recommended Polycarb I'm still hoping this alternative is worth a gamble.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #80
artiz

The Polycarbonate 3D printing filament has been a total success... the strength of the material is no different to a manufactured plastic speargun handle... you can throw it around in much the same way. Printing did take a little while to workout with the Polycarbonate filament from Polymaker called PC-Max. The real breakthrough came when I used a new printer bed adhesion called WolfBite MEGA It completely eliminated all the warping problems and made using the polycarbonate filament so much easier to use. My prints below are very low resolution and were relatively quick to print at 10 hours either side... does mean a bit of post print work but the finished article is everything I could have ever hoped for.

I am close to finishing off this 'traveler' version with the break down Riffe shaft... which is fortunate because I leave for the Med on Saturday to begin my round the world trip. The Riffe shaft is a bit long (and expensive) but it was the only one I could get at short notice... I'll put some images up of the finished version broken down for packing into my rucksack and then fully assembled if I get time.
As you may have guessed I've given up on the aluminium version for now... just too technical for me to get detailed casts with the basic equipment I was using... I'll wait until I get to the far east and see how possible/affordable it is to get it made over there.

I am also considering publishing my designs online so that others can download and print... any chance I could get some feedback on this please.

New Poll thread here...

Last edited by artiz; 10-11-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #81
growingupninja
Lance

Glad to hear that filament worked out okay. The Wolfbite stuff really works, particularly their nylon formula. Previously I had tried pva, garolite, superglue, none were anywhere near as good.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #82
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingupninja View Post
Glad to hear that filament worked out okay. The Wolfbite stuff really works, particularly their nylon formula. Previously I had tried pva, garolite, superglue, none were anywhere near as good.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
It took a reel of the clear stuff to eventually workout what NOT to do but the PC-Max is exceptional filament... thanks for pointing me in the right direction Lance.
I also had big problems before WolfBite and eventually broke my heated bed glass using a polyurethane glue so I know exactly what you are talking about.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #83
growingupninja
Lance

I think you explained this in a previous thread but you are putting a prebuilt SS mech into your handles (like the kind that goes into a routered grove in a wood stock)?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:31 AM   #84
popgun pete

I just chanced on this thread, https://forums.deeperblue.com/thread....102131/page-2, so this 3D printed gun project, as expected, is something that has taken some time and effort where you have maintained a firm goal and realized it by working steadily towards it. By the way the inefficiency of coil sprung energy storage due to coil buckling and rubbing on any guide tube that supports the spring makes it a poor choice for a speargun. It was used at the dawn of mechanical spearfishing as the spring conveniently fitted in the guide tube for the spear.

The spring gun was taken to its most refined form in the Hurricane "Carabine", but that was an expensive side-track that had already been obsoleted by the pneumatic speargun, once the latter had finally been rendered pressure-tight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GUN Solid.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	229649  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #85
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I just chanced on this thread, https://forums.deeperblue.com/thread....102131/page-2, so this 3D printed gun project, as expected, is something that has taken some time and effort where you have maintained a firm goal and realized it by working steadily towards it. By the way the inefficiency of coil sprung energy storage due to coil buckling and rubbing on any guide tube that supports the spring makes it a poor choice for a speargun. It was used at the dawn of mechanical spearfishing as the spring conveniently fitted in the guide tube for the spear.

The spring gun was taken to its most refined form in the Hurricane "Carabine", but that was an expensive side-track that had already been obsoleted by the pneumatic speargun, once the latter had finally been rendered pressure-tight!
Hey Pete, thanks for your comments... it was definitely a labour of love... but I was also very interested to find out if it could actually be done. Not sure the 3D printing filaments were up to the task in 2014 though. The last gun I designed and printed in polycarbonate most definitely is and the Carbon Cobra printed in the polyester and carbon mix is still going well in Malta... where I have just begun my round the world trip. I will have to leave the 2 biggest guns for further testing here in the Med with a good buddy but I will be taking my traveler version with me through Greece and Turkey and then onto Malaysia.

I did give up the spring idea pretty quickly by the way.

Last edited by artiz; 10-27-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #86
Ramon
Ramon

Artiz I look forward to your results and share them with us, thank you

<º)))><

Espero sus resultados con ansia y los comparta con nosotros, gracias
Old 05-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #87
Ramon
Ramon

ARTIZ 3D print amazing carbon fiber parts. Markforged gives you parts you can’t create on another 3D printer.

LINK
http://markforged.com/

Last edited by Ramon; 05-07-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #88
artiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
ARTIZ 3D print amazing carbon fiber parts. Markforged gives you parts you can’t create on another 3D printer.

LINK
http://markforged.com/
My first 3D printer was a Markforged one... it was very expensive... very expensive for the proprietary filaments and a bit too specific regarding it's area of expertise... nice printer but not what I would regard as an 'all rounder'.
I took it back within 14 days and exchanged it for an Ultimaker extended... each to his own though!
Old 10-04-2021, 05:58 AM   #89
artiz

SketchFab 3D model here!

Latest iteration now printed in very strong/durable CarbonX material. This printing filament also enabled me to design/print my wheels/pulleys with their own bearings inside... still to be fully tested yet though. The cost from a 3D printing service called Innovate 3D was $250 delivered to Thailand from the UK. Much cheaper for anyone who already has a 3D printer which is able to print using this or similar astonishingly resilient and reasonably priced filaments of course! It has taken a few years but prices for printers which can now print using Carbon Nylon mixes are becoming available at a much more reasonable cost thereby opening up the ability to 'home manufacture' our own strong and durable designs/working parts for spearguns and their unique requisite forces and conditions of use! Not before time as far as I'm concerned though!

Rigging this up is proving to be a little bit challenging but I am obviously working at a snails pace anyway... I will eventually post up further trials/tribulations which I manage to catch on pics/video!
I have now completely sealed this first Carbon Nylon (PA12) version with a polyurethane varnish and silicone gap filler incidentally!

Last edited by artiz; 10-04-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:36 AM   #90
Mikel_24

Handle looks good, muzzle... not so much! But I understand an inverter requires to have the pulleys and all that if you want to pack any power within such a small package.

Keep up the good work!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote