Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
spearomurray

Guide to custom wetsuits

This writeup is intended to serve as a guide to those who are interested in buying custom wetsuits (specifically from Elios). I recently bought a 7mm and 3mm. Choosing neoprene type and outer coating can be initially overwhelming given the numerous options provided.

Why custom: Are you tired of wetsuits that always seem to have some aspect that doesn't fit well? Do off-the-shelf wetsuits not fit you well in general? Are you diving often and deep enough that you're crushing a suit to nothing in less than a season? If so, then customs might be the way to go.

Process: For Elios, you email them some general requirements (type of diving e.g. spearing vs. line diving, depth, and water temp) and they send back a long list of wetsuit options to choose from. Each of these options will be characterized by an underlying open-cell neoprene of some thickness, possibly an outer fabric (nylon, lycra...), and possibly an inner coating or fabric. Differences between these options are discussed below. Their website may have other options listed, but the options they provide to you are the only ones guaranteed to be in stock at the time you order. Once you pick your neoprene option, you provide a list of your body measurements (they provide instructions on how to do this). After you submit your payment, they take anywhere from 1-2 months to finish and ship your suit.

Budget: Custom suits can be surprisingly reasonable, on-par with an off-the-shelf suit as far as cost. Expect to pay for the suit itself ($300-$600 depending on neoprene choice), shipping (~$100), and import duties (more on import duties below). Import duty should be 7.1% of the cost of suit(s)+shipping if that amount exceeds $800.

Shipping and Handling: I ended up having to pay for DHL express because I needed my suits in time for a trip ($215). I think I gave them a month between submitting my order and needing the delivery. Not sure what standard shipping would cost, likely much closer to $100. Because these packages are expensive, I'd highly recommend you elect to have your courier hold your package for you at a local office instead of delivering to your door. With Covid, even if a package requires a signature drivers can use no-contact delivery to get out of requiring a signature.

Import duties: You pay import duties on items if the value of the goods + shipping exceeds USD$800. Duties are charged on the combined cost of the goods and shipping. The courier service used (DHL, Fedex...) gets your goods through customs. In this process, your goods are assigned a duty based on their categorization in the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule" or HTS; the assignment is referenced by a number. The HTS number usually looks something like this: "HTS 6113.00.9065". Wetsuits with a fabric outside (lycra, nylon etc...) should fall under HTS 6113.00.9065 and be charged a duty of 7.1%. Couriers CAN AND WILL **** UP your HTS designation to get more money. Couriers bill you and require you to pay the duty before your package is delivered. If the wrong HTS designation is made, it's up to you to work with the courier's customer service to get the right HTS designation made. For future reference, smooth skin wetsuits may* fall under HTS 6113.00.10, for which a 3.8% duty is charged. DHL tried to get me to pay for my goods under HTS 6205.20.20.36, for which a 19.7% duty is charged!!!
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #2
spearomurray

Re: Guide to custom wetsuits

I'm by no means the expert, but I've summarized what other's have reported about various neoprenes below:

schwaman bought 2 smooth-skin Heiwa, very happy

seacrecher Yamamoto most comfortable, sheico is warmest, Heiwa resists compression the most & more durable

Blackfoot Yamamoto 45 is a "grade up" from 39

TriggerNJ Difference between others and Yamamoto 45 is observable, had sheico before

kev the sea dog Got Sheico suit with the orange camo. Loves it

Sean E Bought Sheico with orange camo would not get knee pads again. No noticeable compression after 8 months

Sebastian sweden (08) Yamamoto 45 is amazing but not super resistant to compression. Heiwa is resistant to compression. Nam Liong is better for shallow diving

Seatux High grade sheico is good stuff, have suit that is 15 years old and still good

Marco Heiwa MD is best option if diving deep

h20zone "NJN is the perfect compromise between Yamamoto and Heiwa"

spear america NJN is a great product, AVOID Nam Liong. Yamamoto, Heiwa, Sheico, NJN are all great. Heiwa seems to have greater longevity. Jako does not compress as easily as Y39/Y45. Heiwa is nicer than Jako/NJN. There is some Jako/NJN that is shit. Sheico L is stiffer/higher density (very good neoprene), sheico S is softer ~Y45. Claims polosub is a better cut, that Elios cut is boxy. Polosub open-cell suit will be sheico L (medium density).

Elios Sheico may actually be ok for deep diving. Site says resistant up to 20m (can be ordered in SD and MD)

growingupninja Mostly diving on medium density neoprenes from NJN and heiwa

Behslayer (about Sheico): D-is ultra compression reisitant for Scuba Market..L-is a mix between Compression Resitance and Flexibility. I think it's a good match for what we need as Freedive Spearfisherman. It is a bit heavy, and it might not be as warm as brand new Surface rated foam. But it will hold it's thickness and flex. S-Surface Rated foam. Ultra Light, more Air, less dense. Most Surfsuits use this as their core

p33 (deeper blue) Yamamoto is the softest and the warmest (but compresses more as you go down), Daiwa is a "cardboard" (IMHO!), NJN seems to be the happy medium (IMHO!) - if you dive reasonably deep withe constant weight, it is possibly the best choice.

www.2971.co.uk Sheico may* be less dense than NJN, described as a lower quality

h20zone """Yamamoto 45 actually does appear to be significantly more stretchy and supple than all the other samples except for the NJN"", in this cas samples were: 7.5mm Yamamoto 45 / Hyperstretch Beige Camo exterior
6.5mm NJN medium density / Superstretch exterior
7.0mm Heiwa soft density / Hydrorepellent exterior
7.0mm Heiwa soft density / Kanoko Superstrech exterior
7.5mm Nam Liong / Hydrocamo exterior
6.0mm Sheico / Lycra Red-Green camo exterior"
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
Dbrown

Thanks. Nice of you to post.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
North Star
Max

That was a lot of work on your part for the rest of us. Much appreciated.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
Marco

This is a nice post. Thanks!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
SCreefhunter

To avoid duties/taxes/shipping/delays; as well as putting yourself in the best suit around, try 'Deep Thought - Address: 2710 S Ventura Rd, Oxnard, CA 93033 Phone: (805) 487-7264' Trusted by commercial divers and rec divers alike. I'm not associated with them, just have seen and experienced the best in the biz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearomurray View Post
This writeup is intended to serve as a guide to those who are interested in buying custom wetsuits (specifically from Elios). I recently bought a 7mm and 3mm. Choosing neoprene type and outer coating can be initially overwhelming given the numerous options provided.

Why custom: Are you tired of wetsuits that always seem to have some aspect that doesn't fit well? Do off-the-shelf wetsuits not fit you well in general? Are you diving often and deep enough that you're crushing a suit to nothing in less than a season? If so, then customs might be the way to go.

Process: For Elios, you email them some general requirements (type of diving e.g. spearing vs. line diving, depth, and water temp) and they send back a long list of wetsuit options to choose from. Each of these options will be characterized by an underlying open-cell neoprene of some thickness, possibly an outer fabric (nylon, lycra...), and possibly an inner coating or fabric. Differences between these options are discussed below. Their website may have other options listed, but the options they provide to you are the only ones guaranteed to be in stock at the time you order. Once you pick your neoprene option, you provide a list of your body measurements (they provide instructions on how to do this). After you submit your payment, they take anywhere from 1-2 months to finish and ship your suit.

Budget: Custom suits can be surprisingly reasonable, on-par with an off-the-shelf suit as far as cost. Expect to pay for the suit itself ($300-$600 depending on neoprene choice), shipping (~$100), and import duties (more on import duties below). Import duty should be 7.1% of the cost of suit(s)+shipping if that amount exceeds $800.

Shipping and Handling: I ended up having to pay for DHL express because I needed my suits in time for a trip ($215). I think I gave them a month between submitting my order and needing the delivery. Not sure what standard shipping would cost, likely much closer to $100. Because these packages are expensive, I'd highly recommend you elect to have your courier hold your package for you at a local office instead of delivering to your door. With Covid, even if a package requires a signature drivers can use no-contact delivery to get out of requiring a signature.

Import duties: You pay import duties on items if the value of the goods + shipping exceeds USD$800. Duties are charged on the combined cost of the goods and shipping. The courier service used (DHL, Fedex...) gets your goods through customs. In this process, your goods are assigned a duty based on their categorization in the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule" or HTS; the assignment is referenced by a number. The HTS number usually looks something like this: "HTS 6113.00.9065". Wetsuits with a fabric outside (lycra, nylon etc...) should fall under HTS 6113.00.9065 and be charged a duty of 7.1%. Couriers CAN AND WILL **** UP your HTS designation to get more money. Couriers bill you and require you to pay the duty before your package is delivered. If the wrong HTS designation is made, it's up to you to work with the courier's customer service to get the right HTS designation made. For future reference, smooth skin wetsuits may* fall under HTS 6113.00.10, for which a 3.8% duty is charged. DHL tried to get me to pay for my goods under HTS 6205.20.20.36, for which a 19.7% duty is charged!!!

Last edited by SCreefhunter; 12-02-2021 at 04:10 PM.
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
Red Tide

Any thoughts on daiwabo?