Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #46
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: Briante spearguns

Don't get me wrong, I love the shape of the Urukay and if there was ever an E-type speargun, C4 is it!
Maybe I was a bit too rough using the C4 as an example above - they are probably still the most advanced and best looking CF gun we have and I also know that yours was finished to a much higher standard than some of the ones they sent to China. Speaking of high handles, not many guns can hold a candle to any C4.
Also, I am sure they are a joy to swing around in the water and do find myself looking for a secondhand one from time to time...

I am just giving some perspective as my heart sometimes sinks a little bit when some consumers drop their critical senses because something is (partly) made in CF. I think many of us smile a little when a manufacturer calls a 6063/7075 alu product for aerospace material and I personally think the same when 'CF' and 'aerospace' is mentioned in the same sentence. It's simply not that futuristic or advanced a material any longer;-).
A few years back I did the math on how much material cost was in a "standard" pair of CF fins (no fancy japanese Toray, just no name Chinese CF) and I think it was about USD 40. Then comes a bit of resin and bagging supplies. Of course, this doesn't cover R&D, salaries, mold cost, trimming to shape, sticking decals on them, top coat and gluing rails onto them. But the point is, the material itself is affordable now.
I don't know the layup thickness of the Briante, but looking at the travel gun, I'd be surprised if there's much more than USD 100-150 of CF in that gun. Now, that doesn't mean they should not be expensive! Just saying, it's time we chill a little just cuz something is made out of CF
On that note, your C4 actually does use a brand name CF and probably way more of it than needed, judging from how hefty they are, so the material cost of a C4 may very well be the highest out there.

I personally think that if the Briante guns are wood core, there's no shame in mentioning it somewhere on their site as I think a fair portion of spearos looking at it, would think it is a monocoque gun like a C4.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-24-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #47
popgun pete

This diagram has a three band gun added at the bottom to show where the Briante B3 sits in the scheme of things. (No kicker band).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRIANTE B3 PACIFIC Energy Diagram XRB.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	244074  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #48
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Ah, I googled a bit and while I can't find any cutaways, I do see a lot of "undercuts" where the rear of the trigger guard sweeps up.

I did the same, quite extreme and accomplished the same as having it cut away on this modified airgun handle:

It's pretty clear to see how high my hand would be on this grip as the middle finger (the highest on the grip) is almost as high as the trigger finger.

The trick to maximizing the space for this to happen is to make a slot in the rear of the guard that the trigger can move into.

Or at the very least, place the guard so that the trigger almost touches it when it's fully pulled.

Kodama, sorry for the shoddy woodwork on that guard, I suck at working in wood:-(. But it's very, very thin veneer sandwiched with CF, so while it is not pretty, it is quite strong.

Yeah, I wonder if that just means unbranded... Some day we will know
thanks for sharing the pics DG!
yeah, takes a bit of work carving 316SS, and i’m too lazy to go for mirror finish, but nice to be able to get trigger-grip setup exactly how u like it.
That much harder for you with the airgun - you havent got ANY leeway with bouyancy. 3.5mm SS plate trigger guards definitely out of the question
Couple of pics below showing tapering the stainless plate right off at the trigger guard, and twisting the end so its clear of the middle finger. trigger sear is also reshaped pretty much vertical to suit the high grip.
there’s a bit of a gap btwn trigger guard and grip in the pics as this handle is off another gun, a little more rake, swapped over to see if any difference in performance

Last edited by kavachi; 09-24-2019 at 04:05 PM.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #49
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

woops. pics didnt link. try again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A7709C18-3F12-452B-A44D-60FE303A9FE8.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	244075   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CC574E8-B803-4871-9E9E-5EBFD07BEADD.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	244076  
Old 09-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #50
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
woops. pics didnt link. try again

_______
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9DEAA9E9-8E8A-4803-B55E-BFA13A7616E5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	244077  
Old 09-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #51
popgun pete

Realise that the gap is there because a different handle is in place, but have you ever noticed that line seeks to snag on any convenient gap when you least want it? If you wanted it to happen then the probability of a snag is zero, but as soon as you don't the line has a mind of its own and heads straight for it. This produces WTF moments when things stop short or you are immobilized by an unwelcome snag that has you reaching for your blade.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #52
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Realise that the gap is there because a different handle is in place, but have you ever noticed that line seeks to snag on any convenient gap when you least want it? If you wanted it to happen then the probability of a snag is zero, but as soon as you don't the line has a mind of its own and heads straight for it. This produces WTF moments when things stop short or you are immobilized by an unwelcome snag that has you reaching for your blade.
yep - that handle's on the gun for target work comparing recoil, not for hunting

if decide to go with that handle just a five minute job with vice and vice grips to adjust the curve to close the gap, easy

learnt the hard way bout trigger guards, with floatline getting jammed in there, worse with the newer skinny floatlines

that half guard on the Briante does look nice, but for rough bluewater work jumping in and out of boats i prefer full length guard, fully protects the trigger sear from getting smashed
Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #53
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

that muzzle is some serious 316SS artwork
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	025126EC-E734-4CAB-853F-D622268C1D8E.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	244081  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #54
popgun pete

This knuckle guard frame would also brace the handle grip, and allows plenty of room for your fingers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BRIANTE B3 PACIFIC handle (800x339).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	244082   Click image for larger version

Name:	briante b3 lateral M.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	244083  

Last edited by popgun pete; 09-24-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #55
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
that muzzle is some serious 316SS artwork
Yep, speaking of organic curves, it looks like nature could have made it.
It does look a whole lot like SS but in some places, I think I have read they might use titanium?

Great work on your trigger guard, right down to that little twist at the end
Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 AM   #56
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Yep, speaking of organic curves, it looks like nature could have made it.
It does look a whole lot like SS but in some places, I think I have read they might use titanium?
Great work on your trigger guard, right down to that little twist at the end
thanks man! function over fashion right! angle grinder and a file's all you really need did just take delivery of a Bosch PB40 bench drill tho, so looking forward to having a muck around with Mario's DR sears
that Briante muzzle piece is epic eh, the work to mill that out of a solid piece of 316, let alone Ti.....
Old 09-25-2019, 03:56 AM   #57
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
thanks man! function over fashion right! angle grinder and a file's all you really need did just take delivery of a Bosch PB40 bench drill tho, so looking forward to having a muck around with Mario's DR sears
that Briante muzzle piece is epic eh, the work to mill that out of a solid piece of 316, let alone Ti.....

It’s a beauty. But I don’t think it’s from a solid block. Probably tig welded, instead. Will have to look again to be sure, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 AM   #58
kodama

Briante spearguns

Quote:

It would surprise me if that muzzle was milled. If I am not mistaken he is a metal worker. Judging by the machinery in his shop. It seems an awful lot of work to mill pieces like that.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #59
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
It would surprise me if that muzzle was milled. If I am not mistaken he is a metal worker. Judging by the machinery in his shop. It seems an awful lot of work to mill pieces like that.
gotcha.
still, hand TIGd, that’s some detailed work. and a lotta grinding and polishing to produce that piece. labour of love!
Old 09-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #60
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
gotcha.
still, hand TIGd, that’s some detailed work. and a lotta grinding and polishing to produce that piece. labour of love!
I might have been generous calling it TIG. Unless it is titanium, there is no real need for TIG (I think?). It might be welded any number of ways and then the weld looks to have been ground off later in the process.
I have seen really great work done by an Indonesian builder using a super cheap Chinese stick welder. E.g. moving sharkfins around on shafts. As long as you grind afterwards, it's amazing how pretty you can make things.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 09-25-2019 at 07:39 AM.