Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
kodama

What does sustainable spearfishing mean to you?

I have been asking myself this question for some time. Being confronted with the small fish stock of the Mediterranean Sea compared to other places in the world one wonders how much impact we should allow ourselves to have.

Curious about your thoughts so please share them if you will.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Timinator

Re: What does sustainable spearfishing mean to you?

I've read that left to spearfishing alone for your protein, you'd eventually die from lack of food. So, if that's true, then I think it's probably the only method of fully sustainable fishing there is.

It's just ridiculous what long lines and netters do and have done to all the oceans. It's pretty much a crime everywhere Japanese boats go. Spears are probably the most ecologically balanced group of people on earth.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
dctrjayyy

eating mackeral
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
popgun pete

Take what you need to feed yourself and your family for maybe a couple of meals as then you have a reason to shoot some more on follow-up dives. Shooting for the freezer can be excessive, so best not to do it unless on a long trip with a high set-up cost and you bag some whoppers. Practicality says you cannot consume so much fish before it goes off, so then one resorts to the freezer, the smoker or has a canning facility (using sealed lid jars, “canning” being a term for the cooking process). Large specimens can be converted into foodstuffs in jars for delayed consumption.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
RichT

Spearfishing is the most ecologicaly sound method of harvest by far. Ethics are a separate argument...

1.There is virtually no damage to essential fish habitat like there is from fishing line, lead, nets, hooks, etc...

2.There is virtually no bycatch or unintended mortality as a Spearfisherman can not only see the size of his target, he can also see the species.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
carrasco

In a documentary, a commercial fisherman said “commercial fishing is like collecting money from the ground; you don’t have to plant anything, grow anything or feed anything. You just need some basic technology and you can drop your nets and take as much as you want.”

Metric tonnage versus 2-10 lbs of whole fish, if that. Plus the spearo goes out once a week maybe - the commercial guy, every damned day, and if he can’t make it, he’ll send out his mother to fish!
Most spearos I know NEVER eat frozen fish or keep fish more than a day or two without consuming it- freshness is point of spearing fish vresus buying it at the store.

But, if you feel so badly about shooting fish, don’t do it!!!!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
renepotvin

I saw Mexican commercial fishermen put a net over the reef where the kids go snorkeling yesterday... That's the one near the restaurant at Bahia de Los Suenos... Those were no japanese trawlers..

I don't feel bad at all for spearfishing. I do avoid shooting certain species like parrotfish.

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
woodshooter

Netting and trapping should be banned everywhere. Hook & line fishing, spearfishing with in forced size limits would keep fish stocks healthy. Both these methods can be used to harvest for commercial as to satisfy some of the public's needs.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Onefishtwofish

I agree with previous posts here. No bycatch, minimal unintended mortality (lost fish), and especially negligible habitat destruction are key components of fishery stock sustainability.
However I would add, and nobody likes this, a movement away from trophy reef fish. Some of these fish are 40, 50, even potentially 80 years old and believed to contribute substantially to future stock recruitment. Medium sized fish still fill the cooler. Shoot a couple. Let's insert ourselves into a more natural position of the food web.

This isn't the case for all fish. Target species specific spearo behavior should be the plan.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Onefishtwofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

I didn't start getting cock eyed looks when i told people i spearfish unti l i moved to california.

Then i just ask them how many sea turtles and dolphin died for their tuna sandwich or plate of shrimp? And let them know that i have yet to kill a sea turtle or dolphin with my spear.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
kodama

I thought it would be worthwhile to share this quote in this tread.

"Every human being during his lifetime should impose himself at least once to kill the animal which he feeds on, because this is the basis of our survival. He should not always delegate the butcher with such an important task. This sort of alienation creates a hypocrite culture regarding animals and moves us away from the comprehension of our role on the planet and the meaning of life. For those like me who don't believe in a divine picture, life represents a precious good because it contains the protein that nourishes another human being and in so it must not be wasted but administered cautiously. Never hunt for pure amusement only or different purposes then providing food.
It certainly is a narrow point of view but it is the consistent philosophy of a hunter."
Giorgio Dapiran
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote