Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
jag39

New to spearfishing and the spearboard

Hi guys and gals! I've been lurking about the Spearboard for about a week. Decided to join up since there was so much good info on here. A little background. First, I'm an older geezer, bumping 65. I was into scuba diving in the 60's, Navy interrupted that, then didn't get back to it. Recently got recertified OW/Nitrox. I'm into sailing and have a 30' Dufour Arpege at Shell Point, Fl. I've been interested in getting into the spearfishing, and that's why I was lurking the Spearboard. Just ordered one of John's (linghunt) polespears and looking forward to trying that out. I'm learning a lot from the forums. Also a lot from John. Interested in meeting divers/spearo's in the area. I'm also a shooter/reloader (firearms), motorcyclist, old cars and trucks, and have a pile of horses out here. I think I need to slim down my hobbies some... Anyway, I'm here to learn from the experienced.
jag39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

Re: New to spearfishing and the spearboard

one ole geezer to another..... big welcome to the board. I get over to the St. Marks area once in awhile, great water over there.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
jag39

I see you are in Chiefland, is that correct? I've been wanting to dive the springs at Williston, both Blue Grotto and Devil's Den, also the spring outside of Chiefland. Would you be interested in doing a dive there at some point. Living there, you might have done them fifty times and find them boring now.

Thanks for welcome!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
jag39

Meant to ask what kind of charters you run, and where you run out of?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I sent you a return message on some of the questions, hope you get it. Doing the springs would be great. It's been a while since I've done any fresh water. Ginnie is a good dive, the ballroom is spectacular. Some of us like to do a night dive there and sneak back to the opening and watch the fish circle in the spring. It makes for some great photos.Devil's Den is nice also. When you're done going in one direction, turn around and it's a new dive. It looks totally different the other way. Found some artifacts there while diving it years ago. Blue Grotto is the lowest on my list. It's a great deeper dive but it's a basically a down and back up dive. If the water is up, you can get to 100ft. It does have the "bell" that you can get into or it used to anyway. The spring here in Chiefland is Manatee. There are several areas that you can dive, maybe the most interesting is catfish hotel but you need to get under the duck weed to get down. It goes into a cave system that comes up in the run. I don't do holes in the ground!! If you do, I can set you up with some super divers that love it.