View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
LookPointShoot

Re: Does anyone ever spear Yellowfin (in California)

The yellowfin schools in local waters over the past few years are generally smaller, faster moving schools compared to the bluefin. Several have been shot, most notably Paul's 63 pound state record in late 2016. Around that time I had several experiences where I metered small, scratchy schools deeper in the water column that we suspected were YFT. I believe Paul shot his fish on a similar mark. Those schools didn't want to come up and float under the boat like the BFT, so they're pretty tough to get a diver into.

Telling them apart from the boat when they're up on the surface is pretty tough unless you see one go airborne. There are certain behaviors that seem to be unique to BFT, the big foamers and the breezers have always been BFT in my experience. The little puddling schools of small fish that move fast and go down quickly can be either kind but are often YFT.

It's funny because people I know with experience shooting YFT in mainland Mex swear they're even easier than BFT when you get into them, but that's certainly not been the case locally. I still haven't seen YFT in the water yet personally.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote