View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
JamesF123

7 Gill Charge @LJ

Hey all,
I just had a pretty scary encounter with a 7 gill at La Jolla and I want to know what I did wrong or how I could avoid that in the future. So me and my buddy were shorediving off the children’s pool seawall in half decent vis. I shot a nice calico that proceeded to tangle itself up in the kelp real bad which made us have to stick around for like 10 minutes trying to get it out. After, my dive partner took a shot and hit a decent sheepshead. Literally 5 seconds after the shot I looked down and saw a fairly small like 6-7 foot 7 gill pass under us. I know they usually are peaceful so I just kept an eye on it. Since my partner had just shot the fish so it was on his shaft I was kinda worried but not too much. 5 seconds later the shark just charged up at my buddy not even at his fish and came straight up at him. We both punched its nose and it went back down and swam away. I thought the smartest thing to do was not try to get the fish and bring it close to us and throw it away so we started swimming back to shore. About 5 minutes later the shark had ****ig followed us and was alternating between trying to get the sheep from the shaft and checking out our fins. We kicked it away with our fins and it followed us sort of going at our fins and fish alternately until it was too shallow. We were both fine with no bites and the calico was obv banged up but still the scary part was when it charged not at the fish but straight up at us. I’m not sure if we did the right things. We didn’t have any time really to try to throw the fish away bc I didn’t want for either of us to bring it to our body with the shark following. I’m fairly sure we did the right thing to fight it off, but it was rattling bc I know seven gills are usually peaceful. Anyway if anyone has advice, comments, or wants to buy a shitstained wetsuit pls lmk.
JamesF123 is offline   Reply With Quote