View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 01:24 AM   #7
spearq8

Re: Salvimar Hero & Hero Storm test

To be fair the Salvimar Hero guns are a huge advance in "Pipe Gun" design. I took it out spearfishing last week and out of 14 shots landed 14 fish. Sure it took a while to get used to ... the trigger was heavier than I would like ... and the lateral movement felt like I had a parachute at the end of my tip. All my initial shots where way behind the fish. But I was using the longer 115 gun and switching to the 95 made lateral movement much easier. It definitely would be a much better gun if Salvimar could figure out how to make the gun into a cuttlefish shaping and narrow the front end ... but I guess that would be dramatically more expensive. The only gun that has a cuttlefish shape in aluminium that I know of is the Sporasub One speargun ... that really has to be the best pipe gun on earth (except for the trigger of course).

Salvimar's big breakthrough IMHO is that they have back end flex and general flex completely under control. Even with shark fins all the way back ... there was zero flex ... so the shaft flies incredibly flat. To do that with a wood gun or even a pipe gun, you need to lay strips of CF and reinforce the mech pocket with CF. You then have to also reinforce the entire gun to prevent barrel flex. To prevent flex in the tube Salvimar actually added an "I" beam inside to dramatically reduce vertical flex !!! I know of not a single gun manufacturer that has thought of that! I mean with a 95 gun I was aiming dead on at fish at maximum range (around 5m) and hitting them with no shaft drop adjustment. It took me many shots just to get accustomed to aiming dead on with no shaft drop. We need to give them credit for that.

Sure they need to find a new source of 17-4PH metal rod for their shafts ... and for God's sake get on the small ID band wagon! Just changing bands to 14mm and 14.5mm made the gun easier to load, reduced recoil quite a bit ... and improved performance by at least 30 or 40%! The 95 gun after this simple change actually had more performance than the default 115 setup!

Here are some pix of the internals. Who else has an "I" beam inside their aluminium tube !!!

[IMG][/IMG]

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote