View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #14
musubi

Re: Why did they quit making the Scupper Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I am looking to get the new swell version as a second kayak but I wonder how easily you can store spearguns inside and access them form the seat. Is that round hatch in the front large enough for fins or spearguns?

I am referring to the either/or 4” front hatch and oval center hatch.

For spearfishing it seems crucial to have acces to the large bow compartment without having to undo and open up those buckles which would be a pita on the water.
My guess is those two smaller openings are too small to fit guns or fins through. You might be able to fit a gun through the front circle hatch, but I know my guns wouldn't be short enough to fit in just the bow. The oval hatch is more about the angle in getting the items in than the size of the openings. Just my thought based on the pictures.

The first picture notes the circle hatch as 4" while the second picture on the New scupper shows the hatch at 6". I'd lean towards them actually being 6" since 4" seems kind of tiny.

I think too that undoing those buckles would be a pain out in the water. My Scupper Pro has only two and the further one is kind of a reach. I would just leave the third (furthest buckle) undone as you probably don't need it all buckled up.

Regardless, I think it's still workable to fit pretty much everything in that front hatch. Or bag some of the items and secure in the back well.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote