Thread: Bottom Time
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
chulho

Send a message via AIM to chulho
Re: Bottom Time

the point is to differentiate what you do in sport freediving and spearfishing, where in spearfishing you are doing the opposite of pushing your max. everything should be easy, chill, with plenty of time breath hold left after resurfacing. and same with depth. and yes, holding your breath after resurfacing isn't something you generally want to do, but if you have no idea how to find your dive time for spearfishing, just know that after resurfacing you have a good chunk of comfortable breath hold left (I like 30 seconds for myself)- and you can find out how many seconds you have left through breath tables dry or just a singular instance with a buddy in the ocean- you don't need to/shouldn't keep doing it, once should be enough and you're basically never going past the sensation of urge to breathe.

I've found that a lot of things I learned through pfi and freedivers.net weren't conducive to spearfishing in cold norcal. obviously, no packing, and even purging to the degree I've been shown and demonstrated successfully during class. during the class, few guys had sambas- one right next to me in the pool. when I don't purge, I have a better sense of how much breath hold I have left- which for me, seems safer, especially since I'm not trying to push to the max while spearfishing. it cuts my max breath hold to about half, but I never feel compromised. I also found hook breaths extremely helpful maintaining lucidity after my max dives during classes, but unnecessary when I'm spearfishing at less than 1/3 of my depth capacity and 25% of my breath hold capacity. this is not advice, but observation of my own personal experiences.

but ok, I take back my advice and agree with dctrjayyy- especially since you're someone who's struggling to find dive time for spearfishing, don't actually hold your breath after surfacing. just "know" you can- via dry breath holds lying down in your bed.
chulho is offline   Reply With Quote