View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #151
spearq8

Re: Handle Mod video ... GAME CHANGER !!!

I think at higher speeds tests have shown that a slightly rough surface or dimpled surface is best. But you have to look at how evolution designed fish ... while most fish have a glycol protein slimy coat ... I think that has more to do with preventing parasites rather than to have a more efficient swimming surface. But fish do have scales including tuna, sailfish etc... and the most prominent scales are in areas that are high contact areas of the water column (cheeks, sides of the body etc...) ... so maybe evolution figured those scales improve efficiency in the water. A very high performance speargun setup will throw out a shaft at about 28 meters/second ... that sounds very fast ... but a sailfish can swim faster than that! So looking at how evolution decided to treat fast moving fish ... I would say a dimpled surface rather than a smooth surface might be best. However that needs to be tested. With regards to hydrophobic surfaces ... that might work different and I wouldn't be surprised if it works well ... especially on shooting line. I think with regards to shafts, there is not much to be gained by altering the surface ... but with line ... there is plenty to be gained.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote