View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
SEATUX

Re: Giacomo de Mola and Malén Sart win the 32nd Arbatax Sardinia Underwater Fishing W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
I'll give an opinion.. my issues with this competition is that CMAS is not being responsible or setting a good example for the Spearfishing Community in Stewardship or Safety.

Stewardship is obvious by the catch.. The area clearly doesn't need any pressure, more likely a moratorium on Fishing or some MPAs, and artificial Reefs to regenerate the fish populations.

But what really gets me is the Safety issue. The double standard. CMAS makes Safety such an important part of their Freediving World Championships. But all of that is thrown completely out of the window when it comes to this Spearfishing competition.. I was talking with someone familiar with CMAS and this competition yesterday. They explained to me that things were actually worse than I had thought. The rules are One diver in the water at a time. Any other team members or divers need to be on the boat.. WTF? Run a Spearfishing competition requiring 140-180' drops and eliminate even the most basic Buddy system of having your buddy on the surface watching your ascent? Holy Shit.. it's just luck that from the 10% of the male competitors who entered who needed to be hospitalized that nobody died.. and then my friend explained that at the previous CMAS competition in Greece, competitors did die.. WTF? Maybe that kind of cowboy macho man Spearfishing was acceptable in the past before we as a community really understood the tole that SWB and loose or non-existent buddy system protocol was taking on our friends and families. How many of you have lost more than a handful of friends? WTF? This is exactly the shit that we are trying to change. And Team USA. Here's a message to you all. Boycott this shit. You all knew going into this that it was going to require you to dive in a way that you knew was dangerous. You all ask for support from the community. Honestly would have been better to take all that investment and make a stand and Boycott until CMAS changes their antiquated Machoman attitude towards what a Spearfishing World Championships should be in 2021. Ramon, sorry I don't speak Spanish and we may have some of my meaning lost in Translation.. Here in Hawaii, we are doing Everything we can to change the way people, and especially young people are diving because we are not accepting to lose friends and family to SWB and Loose buddy system protocol. We are making a difference, but we still lost too many young divers. Team USA, CMAS, come on.. set a way better example.

Sure. I'll extend a congratulations to the winners and competitors. But at this point, for me, a Great dive, a Great diver, a Great catch, is measured first by the attention to Safety in the Water.
No, I would not extend congratulations to these divers, they should stick together and BOYCOTT this sorry excuse for a tournament!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote