View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 03:17 AM   #73
spearq8

Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
Hey Majd! this Ermes handle's got your DNA all over it! any feedback on how it shoots? pool or in the wild? or the muzzle?
Well the plan was to make it possible for anyone to make a cheap, yet highly effective and accurate speargun with very little effort. Originally I wanted to use the Pathos D1 handle and put a custom built DR trigger on it. This was done, but the quality control on both the handles and the DR triggers was terrible. Very few triggers would work properly as the assembly of the triggers was way below par. Of course all the triggers could be fixed, but you needed to know what you were doing. Also there was quite a bit of things to do to the handle as well to get things to work properly.

I did have a very elaborate video prepared for the D1 modification, but I decided not to post it as I was very unhappy with the sloppy assembly of the D1 triggers. So finally we decided best was to just build the handle and the trigger together from scratch. Why bother with all the hassle of going through what could be a difficult modification for many.

The new Avatar handle uses a custom full DR trigger with a 6mm roller (same as full DR trigger). The assembly has been revamped and is made much easier with the latest design using box lock spacers and metal injection molding. The handle is designed to push recoil into the palm of the hand so that there is no lift or left shift ... so shaft goes out stable with very high velocity ... without needing much band load. Of course the by product is that you also get extremely good accuracy.

Here in this video you can see a test on an 80cm gun that has more power at 5 meters than a default Riffe 120x. Shots are at 4 meters and at 5 meters ... which is max line allowable with 2 wraps. Of course I don't recommend anyone shoot an 80cm at 5 meters, but this is just to give an indication of performance. This was the base setup that the Avatar handle and trigger were based on and you should expect to have very similar results. I did do setups at 120cm and 130cm with similar results but need to find the videos.

I am pretty sure very few handles and triggers went through the same testing phase and I expect this to be a good reason why the Avatar handle and trigger should perform better than anything out there.

Here is the video I did about 2 years back with the D1 modification. I made it unlisted as I really cannot recommend the D1 trigger with assembly problems it had. Many could easily fix those problems, but they would need to know what they are doing. I will see if I can find time to do a full test with the new Avatar handle and trigger and the new muzzle + tube.

https://youtu.be/waHOKH6dHMg

Last edited by spearq8; 06-30-2022 at 06:16 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote