Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Kayak Diving (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   New to Kayak spearfishing; Loreto, Baja Mexico (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=195874)

billder99 01-31-2018 01:58 PM

New to Kayak spearfishing; Loreto, Baja Mexico

I've been spearfishing here for 12 years, just embarked on a new adventure... sold the Panga and bought a kayak (Cobra Tourer, 15'x28")... kayak spearfishing in Sea of Cortez should be some wild good fun!

This morning, I was out on the water kayaking for the first time. I've been scouting kayak accessible dive spots, so I went for a test run to one of those. I only brought dive gear, no spear or fishing gear... I remember what it was like learning to manage spearing equipment in the water (like wrestling 3 octopus), I assumed learning to kayak will be the same. Start simple!

It was a 4 mile round trip, calm clear water, with a nice swim/dive... saw 4 cabrilla in the 20# range, and a 10# pargo... great way to start the day. I expected my arms/shoulders to burn while paddling, but surprised at how tired my abs/wrists/hands are... great little workout. Now I need to learn good kayak technique.

peripatetic 01-31-2018 03:08 PM

Re: New to Kayak spearfishing; Loreto, Baja Mexico

Kayaks make a great spearfishing platform, but make sure you keep a close eye on the weather. The Sea of Cortez can get nasty when the wind comes up, and paddling home in rough seas can be an experience.

billder99 01-31-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peripatetic (Post 2160705)
Kayaks make a great spearfishing platform, but make sure you keep a close eye on the weather. The Sea of Cortez can get nasty when the wind comes up, and paddling home in rough seas can be an experience.

Thanks, I've seen it get rough when calm wind was forecast... can happen very quickly. I'll take my time becoming a proficient and competent paddler, and I'll buy a handheld VHF before I cross open water of any significance.

pburns2002 02-08-2018 10:28 AM

Hey Billder. I’m in Cabo San Lucas, so if you’re ever in the area looking for a dive buddy, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billder99 02-09-2018 01:39 PM

Hey PBurns, I don't get down past La Paz very often but same offer here... if you are headed to or thru Loreto, give me a heads up and hopefully we can schedule a dive.

UPDATE: The kayaking is coming along well. It was smart to focus on kayaking, and held off of integrating spearfishing. I've been out for a simple kayak/dive 7 times now... just learning to manage gear on the yak, paddling in wetsuit, putting on/off weights+fins, anchoring, getting on and off the kayak... all interesting and fun, getting comfy with the dive process. I've been watching a ton of YT video on paddling technique... it's really paying off. The big surprise... I love kayaking! I started this just as a mode of transport, but the kayaking itself is very fun and rewarding. In the next couple of weeks I will start bringing the speargun, looking forward to it.

peripatetic 02-13-2018 07:56 PM

Enjoy, but watch your shit. You are all alone out there and far from help.

billder99 02-13-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peripatetic (Post 2161552)
Enjoy, but watch your shit. You are all alone out there and far from help.

Thanks Peripatetic. Baja is a wild and lonely place, not for the weak of heart. I'd love to have a dive buddy, occasionally dive with others, but I'm a fairly hard core 61 year old... I am trying to be the type of person I admired when I was younger, self reliant and fearless. Come to Loreto and let's hit the water!

peripatetic 02-14-2018 02:03 PM

billder

I am in the same boat. The area I mainly dive is far from populated areas, and I nearly always kayak dive solo with a surf entry and exit. I've kayaked for many years however: Both whitewater and sea kayaking, so I have considerable experience.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things, taking your time to learn, and not pushing too hard.

One thing I suggest is rigging tie in points, and securing all of your gear in case of a dump. Another is to rig a trail line with a float when diving in current.

Like you I would welcome a partner, but when there are no other divers around, I am not going to sit on the beach and watch the waves roll in

billder99 02-14-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peripatetic (Post 2161587)
One thing I suggest is rigging tie in points, and securing all of your gear in case of a dump. Another is to rig a trail line with a float when diving in current.

I'm a bit sheepish to admit it, but my first day out I had a nice 2 mile paddle out to my selected spot, all hot and ready to dive into cool water... and I find that my mask and snorkel are gone. I stuck them under the bungies, but somehow they went over the side. Crap! Lesson learned the hard way... if it's not on my body, it is below deck or tied to the boat.

What is the purpose of the float line and float?

brandon cadalzo 02-14-2018 10:57 PM

Most of the time i use my float line/float as a way of not only marking the spot i want to fish so i know where to descend but also to make myself visible to boaters. I will throw the line which is attatched to a 5-10 pound weight overboard when i come across good structure. Then i worry about anchoring the kayak. Works great and is productive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosstnfound 02-21-2018 05:11 PM

I may be heading you way in early March. If you need anything spear/kayak related, let me know.

billder99 02-21-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosstnfound (Post 2162083)
I may be heading you way in early March. If you need anything spear/kayak related, let me know.

Hey Ross, would be cool to meet a Spearboard Brother... it's very nice of you to offer to bring down goodies, I can't think of a single thing I need right now.

When you know, confirm your dates and let me know where you will be staying and we can meet for a tequila... if you have any questions (where to stay, car rental, good pangeuro, etc) let me know, I can help. If things work out right, maybe we can get out for a dive.

Bill

renepotvin 12-03-2018 05:29 PM

I don't know if you are still in Loreto. I'm in La Paz until april. I kayak dive myself.

http://www.renepotvin.com/wp-content...50-940x450.jpg

pescadorrr 11-04-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billder99 (Post 2162088)
Hey Ross, would be cool to meet a Spearboard Brother... it's very nice of you to offer to bring down goodies, I can't think of a single thing I need right now.

When you know, confirm your dates and let me know where you will be staying and we can meet for a tequila... if you have any questions (where to stay, car rental, good pangeuro, etc) let me know, I can help. If things work out right, maybe we can get out for a dive.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Sent you a PM. Looking to dive around Loreto. Would love to chat with you!!