Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Guns (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Handle 3D module (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=202497)

doyenofcastle 04-28-2023 01:44 AM

Handle 3D module

5 Attachment(s)
Good morning everyone ,

I print an STL file of Handle ,I have got the original copy and did some modification ,it have been used for normal pistol ,usually gun shooter never wear gloves so the size is exact match to their hand ,that grip designed for mid hand shooter without considering the gloves thickness ,now If I increase the volume by 25% to give allowance for gloves does it will work (shooting accuracy wont be affected )?anyone have did that ? I am asking cause the trial cost too much as in my area 3D printer not available every where I have to give outside .

spearq8 05-22-2023 12:57 AM

Re: Handle 3D module

If you really want to dial in your handle, the best way is to use epoxy putty and shape it with your dive glove on (can use nitrile gloves over the gloved hand to not damage the glove). This will give you the absolute perfect fit where you just point your arm towards the target and aim is already locked in.

If you want to copy that handle, the best way is to use photogrammetry and 3D scan your handle. You can use a rotating table for that and just make multiple pictures with a checkered base. There are many good free photogrammetry tools that can make a super accurate 3D scan of your handle. Once you have your 3D scan you can save it as an STL or OBJ or STEP file and 3D print it. I recommend using a professional 3D printing service like Sculpteo. They have very good materials you can choose from and allow you to use the handle right from the print shop.

doyenofcastle 05-23-2023 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 2209980)
If you really want to dial in your handle, the best way is to use epoxy putty and shape it with your dive glove on (can use nitrile gloves over the gloved hand to not damage the glove). This will give you the absolute perfect fit where you just point your arm towards the target and aim is already locked in.

If you want to copy that handle, the best way is to use photogrammetry and 3D scan your handle. You can use a rotating table for that and just make multiple pictures with a checkered base. There are many good free photogrammetry tools that can make a super accurate 3D scan of your handle. Once you have your 3D scan you can save it as an STL or OBJ or STEP file and 3D print it. I recommend using a professional 3D printing service like Sculpteo. They have very good materials you can choose from and allow you to use the handle right from the print shop.

thanks for the reply , I have already the STL but my question if I increase the module volume but keeping the shape of the handle does it will work or no ? printing that handle cost me a lot that's why I am asking ,still 3D printing is a new trend in my place

spearq8 05-24-2023 12:38 AM

Yes of course you can increase and decrease the size of the model before printing. On my 3D printer for example, I always add 5% volume as for some reason it always prints 5% smaller. You could print a 10cm ruler at exact size and then check the real print size ... this might give you a better idea of how to calibrate your printer.

Having said all that, I haven't printed anything on my 3D printer in like 2 years. The quality of 3D prints you get from Sculpteo or other 3D print shops is dramatically better ... so I just use them. If you are using non metal 3D printing, it is also not expensive at all and the choice of materials is also much better. You can for example print an invert roller muzzle and use as is ... I wouldn't dare do that with a 3D printed muzzle on my machine unless I had it covered over with Carbon Fiber.

doyenofcastle 05-24-2023 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spearq8 (Post 2209999)
Yes of course you can increase and decrease the size of the model before printing. On my 3D printer for example, I always add 5% volume as for some reason it always prints 5% smaller. You could print a 10cm ruler at exact size and then check the real print size ... this might give you a better idea of how to calibrate your printer.

Having said all that, I haven't printed anything on my 3D printer in like 2 years. The quality of 3D prints you get from Sculpteo or other 3D print shops is dramatically better ... so I just use them. If you are using non metal 3D printing, it is also not expensive at all and the choice of materials is also much better. You can for example print an invert roller muzzle and use as is ... I wouldn't dare do that with a 3D printed muzzle on my machine unless I had it covered over with Carbon Fiber.

thanks I will check that ,hope it work