Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   2011 USOA National Championship Tavernier, FL Keys - August 3-4, 2011 (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   USOA National Spearfishing Championships 2011 (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=123802)

dennishaussler 05-02-2011 10:44 AM

USOA National Spearfishing Championships 2011

1 Attachment(s)
I want to invite all competitive divers to come out to FL this year for the USA Nationals. This meet promises to be very exciting, with tough competition, lots of home field divers, clear water, and fast boats!
If your interested, you can find all info at
http://www.spearfishingnationals.com/news/6
and you can review to see area, rules, time, etc. This will be a 2 day event, with all divers using the same zone both days.
If your thinking about moving up in the competitive arena, this is THE top level you can compete before moving to worlds.
The staging will be out of Taverner Creek Marina, and all diving will take place 3 mile or more offshore.
If you have any questions, please contact msfroggie19@aol.com, or DrSALADO@aol.com.
As the new USOA director of spearfishing, I want to invite all who are interested, to compete in mens, womens or mixed divisions.
I plan on bringing lots of coagulant, as I know these guys are out for MY blood!!!
See you in Florida!

Hat-Nasty 05-02-2011 12:16 PM

Re: USOA National Spearfishing Championships 2011

Hi Dennis,

I am member of the Palm Beach Freedivers club. We have been discussing this tournament amongst our members for some time. As a result of these discussions we have some questions about the rules and boundaries. Should we contact you directly to ask our questions or should we use an open forum, like this thread to address them?

Thank you,

Will

dennishaussler 05-02-2011 09:25 PM

contact me at dennis@20fathoms.com

DRSALADO 05-03-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hat-Nasty (Post 1425481)
Hi Dennis,

I am member of the Palm Beach Freedivers club. We have been discussing this tournament amongst our members for some time. As a result of these discussions we have some questions about the rules and boundaries. Should we contact you directly to ask our questions or should we use an open forum, like this thread to address them?

Thank you,

Will

Hello Will, My name is Erick Salado, feel free to contact me about your questions to drsalado@aol.com.
We will post the approved version of the bid on the website in the next few hours, the rules are straight forward and based on the USOA tournament rules and FWC laws.
I invite you to visit our website www.spearfishingnationals.com regarding fish list on rules.
Regards

Erick

TheDecoStop 05-03-2011 07:45 AM

You can also keep updated by clicking "Like" on the Nationals facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/SpearfishingNationals

DRSALADO 05-03-2011 07:55 AM

:thumps:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennishaussler (Post 1425372)
I want to invite all competitive divers to come out to FL this year for the USA Nationals. This meet promises to be very exciting, with tough competition, lots of home field divers, clear water, and fast boats!
If your interested, you can find all info at
http://www.spearfishingnationals.com/news/6
and you can review to see area, rules, time, etc. This will be a 2 day event, with all divers using the same zone both days.
If your thinking about moving up in the competitive arena, this is THE top level you can compete before moving to worlds.
The staging will be out of Taverner Creek Marina, and all diving will take place 3 mile or more offshore.
If you have any questions, please contact msfroggie19@aol.com, or DrSALADO@aol.com.
As the new USOA director of spearfishing, I want to invite all who are interested, to compete in mens, womens or mixed divisions.
I plan on bringing lots of coagulant, as I know these guys are out for MY blood!!!
See you in Florida!

Hello Dennis:
Welcome aboard as the elected national director of Spearfishing, you can count on my support on everything you may need!
As a friend I want to welcome you and congratulate you, I am sure you will be a great officer for our sport, representing all american divers.
As a competitor diver, you bet everyone will be after your title of "National Spearfishing Champion" you will be the one to knock down! So come down to Florida ready for the hardest combat!
Best Regards!

Erick Salado:thumps:

Hat-Nasty 05-03-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSALADO (Post 1426323)
Hello Will, My name is Erick Salado, feel free to contact me about your questions to drsalado@aol.com.
We will post the approved version of the bid on the website in the next few hours, the rules are straight forward and based on the USOA tournament rules and FWC laws.
I invite you to visit our website www.spearfishingnationals.com regarding fish list on rules.
Regards

Erick

Thank you Erick. I will send you an e-mail with my questions. The rules are fairly straight forward as you say. I just want to eliminate any misinterpretations on my part now to avoid any disruptions during the tournament.

Will

TEAM USA 2010 05-06-2011 06:32 PM

Hey Dennis,
Congratulations on your new position as the USOA National Director of Spearfishing! I also echo Erick's sentiments in the regards of my total support and availability to you to help in any way I possibly can.
Congratulations also goes to all of those of you who organized and put together this years Nationals. Great job so far!
I am anxiously awaiting the outcome of this years Nationals to see who will rise to become the next National Team that will represent the USA in the next World Championships in Vigo, Spain in 2012.
Good Luck to all who compete this year!

Brian Lee

dennishaussler 05-07-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEAM USA 2010 (Post 1429227)
Hey Dennis,
Congratulations on your new position as the USOA National Director of Spearfishing! I also echo Erick's sentiments in the regards of my total support and availability to you to help in any way I possibly can.
Congratulations also goes to all of those of you who organized and put together this years Nationals. Great job so far!
I am anxiously awaiting the outcome of this years Nationals to see who will rise to become the next National Team that will represent the USA in the next World Championships in Vigo, Spain in 2012.
Good Luck to all who compete this year!

Brian Lee

Brian,
Is Dan coming to Florida for the comp??? Would be great to see him there, and qualify for spain. See you in the Keys!!!

TEAM USA 2010 05-07-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennishaussler (Post 1429443)
Brian,
Is Dan coming to Florida for the comp??? Would be great to see him there, and qualify for spain. See you in the Keys!!!

Hey Dennis,
I dont speak with Dan very often, but I do keep in regular touch with Justin, Sean and John. Without any possible chance to make it on the next team, due to being in Croatia last year while the US Nationals were being held back home, and not being able to accrue any points towards selection, neither of them choose to compete in this years Nationals. I know it has been a hot topic as of late. I do hope that USA Spearfishing can figure something out in these regards to maintain some sort of continuity within our National Team. I think that International experience is extremely important for International Competition ..... but I dont want to derail this thread with this topic and Im sure we can figure something out in the near future.

On another note, while I was in Croatia during the World Championships, I was invited to a private meeting with all the members of CMAS. They ALL expressed their interest to hold the 2013 Pan American games here in the US. This is another goal I would like to see come to fruition.

Looking forward towards a bright future with USA Spearfishing!

dennishaussler 05-08-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEAM USA 2010 (Post 1429553)
Hey Dennis,
I dont speak with Dan very often, but I do keep in regular touch with Justin, Sean and John. Without any possible chance to make it on the next team, due to being in Croatia last year while the US Nationals were being held back home, and not being able to accrue any points towards selection, neither of them choose to compete in this years Nationals. I know it has been a hot topic as of late. I do hope that USA Spearfishing can figure something out in these regards to maintain some sort of continuity within our National Team. I think that International experience is extremely important for International Competition ..... but I dont want to derail this thread with this topic and Im sure we can figure something out in the near future.

On another note, while I was in Croatia during the World Championships, I was invited to a private meeting with all the members of CMAS. They ALL expressed their interest to hold the 2013 Pan American games here in the US. This is another goal I would like to see come to fruition.

Looking forward towards a bright future with USA Spearfishing!

What needs to happen for continuity, is for divers to attend nationals wether they like the playing field or not. For divers to attend only when hosted at home does not make for continuity. Days of old, guys attended ALL the national events, and worked hard just to qualify. Now, alot of teams don;t even bother showing up if they figure its going to be to hard, or to much commitment. The idea that was posed last year for averaging scores will not fly. I am not sure what to do about it, but I can;t see giving guys who are unwilling to attend ALL national events a boost to worlds, when there are guys who do attend out of council, and work hard to qualify.
Stick around Brian, and you'll see how it works. I'm open to ideas, so lets keep talking about it.

Adelito 05-09-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennishaussler (Post 1430507)
What needs to happen for continuity, is for divers to attend nationals wether they like the playing field or not. For divers to attend only when hosted at home does not make for continuity. Days of old, guys attended ALL the national events, and worked hard just to qualify. Now, alot of teams don;t even bother showing up if they figure its going to be to hard, or to much commitment. The idea that was posed last year for averaging scores will not fly. I am not sure what to do about it, but I can;t see giving guys who are unwilling to attend ALL national events a boost to worlds, when there are guys who do attend out of council, and work hard to qualify.
Stick around Brian, and you'll see how it works. I'm open to ideas, so lets keep talking about it.

well, said....win or lose people need to show up or shut up.

RumbleFish 05-11-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Dennis,
I agree 100% regarding teams competing out of their respective councils. I think there should be reward for those who compete in the Nationals and finish high year after year. as you well know, all 4 members of the 2010 team worked as hard as anyone and traveled completely across the country to compete Nationally and halfway across the world to compete Internationally. They all have experience diving here in Florida, so its not the playing field in question, its the problem of lack of consideration they were given while training/competing in the worlds while Nationals were being held here. I am sure, when back on a level points system..you will see them back at the Nationals competing.

I know the voting councils shot down the averaging idea last year...as it should have been. It was not a fair way to handle the situation. I do not think any competitor should be given anything he/she did not earn. Here is my idea on how this should be handled. A little complicated but please try to follow....

1st of all, since aggregate weights vary dramatically from venue to venue, for US National Team selection only, a points system should be used. example -I.E.: 1st place = 100 points, 2nd place = 95 points, 3rd place = 90 points, 4th place = 85 points, 5th place = 80 points.... etc. etc.

lets use above hypothetical points system, divers and years here....

Diver A: Finishes 3rd place in 2010 (90 points) and finishes 4th place in 2011 (85 points)
Diver B: Finishes 1st place in 2010 (100 points) and finishes 5th place in 2011 (80 points)
Diver C: Finishes 6th place in 2010 (75 points) and finishes 8th place in 2011 (65 points)
Diver D: Finishes 10th place in 2010 (55 points) and finishes 6th place in 2011 (75 points)
Diver E: Finishes 2nd place in 2010 (95 points) and finishes 15th place in 2011 (30 points)

Diver B with 180 points is #1 selection to 2012 National Team
Diver A with 175 points is #2 selection to 2012 National Team
Diver C with 140 points is #3 selection to 2012 National Team
Diver D with 130 points not selected to team but considered as 1st alternate
Diver E with 125 points not selected to team but considered as 2nd alternate

Now, Divers B,A & C are in Spain competing in 2012 for the World Championships and can not compete in the 2012 US Nationals.

The 2013 Nationals are coming up, BUT neither diver B,A nor C accrued any points for the 2014 Team because they were in Spain during the 2012 US Nationals and did not compete so they have no points for 2014 Team Selection, but they all decide to compete in the 2013 US Nationals.

Diver A: Finishes 0 place in 2012 (0 points) and finishes 6th place in 2013 (75 points)
Diver B: Finishes 0 place in 2012 (0 points) and finishes 3rd place in 2013 (90 points)
Diver C: Finishes 0 place in 2012 (0 points) and finishes 14th place in 2013 (35 points)
Diver D: Finishes 5th place in 2012 (80 points) and finishes 1st place in 2013 (100 points)
Diver E: Finishes 7th place in 2012 (70 points) and finishes 8th place in 2013 (65 points)

So, instead of averaging, this is my idea to keep these guys competing and keeping continuity in the US National Team. Since Divers A, B & C did not compete in 2012, they are to use the points they accrued during the last US Nationals they competed in, which in this example, is 2011. (This way they are not given anything they did not earn, they use the points they EARNED while competing against the best in a US Nationals.

So the actual points will be as follows:

Diver A: Finishes 4th place in 2011 (85 points) and finishes 6th place in 2013 (75 points)
Diver B: Finishes 5th place in 2011 (80 points) and finishes 3rd place in 2013 (90 points)
Diver C: Finishes 8th place in 2011 (65 points) and finishes 14th place in 2013 (35 points)
Diver D: Finishes 5th place in 2012 (80 points) and finishes 1st place in 2013 (100 points)
Diver E: Finishes 7th place in 2012 (70 points) and finishes 8th place in 2013 (65 points)

Diver D with 180 points is #1 selection to 2014 National Team
Diver B with 170 points is #2 selection to 2014 National Team
Diver A with 160 points is #3 selection to 2014 National Team
Diver E with 135 points not selected to team but considered as 1st alternate
Diver C with 100 points not selected to team but considered as 2nd alternate

Your Thoughts? Just trying to develop a system that will encourage continuity while keeping all competitors within the US Nationals year after year. As you can tell, I have given this alot of thought.

Sincerely,
Brian Lee

TEAM USA 2010 05-11-2011 11:02 AM

USA Spearfishing would love to hear from those of you who have aspirations to make the National Team that will represent the USA in next World Championships in Vigo, Spain in 2012.
Remember! There will be a Pan American tournament held in Columbia later this year to qualify for the 2012 Worlds!
We need to get an early start in preparation and fund raising!
Those interested...please contact me at deepblueapnea@live.com

DRSALADO 05-11-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Dennis very well said!
We need to find a system that will encourage or force top divers to compete, regardless the playing ground!
Although I agree with Brian, regarding that top winners in tournaments should mantain there positions in a "National Team" or some sort of pre-selection between worlds meets as long as they stay engaged competitively!
But the key should be for competitors to stay in competitions!
Competition life time is limited so we need to enjoy it as much as possible while it last!
I will comment further in this regard!

Erick Salado