Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ever got bit by a fish? I did! (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=201813)

renepotvin 04-13-2022 02:16 PM

Ever got bit by a fish? I did!

The most surprising thing in the world. Seriously it bit me to the bone. Not the sort of thing that ever happened to me.

https://youtu.be/NslE8Wq08j8

divenfish 04-13-2022 09:24 PM

Re: Ever got bit by a fish? I did!

Nice video, bummer about the bite....lucky you did not get bit by a 40 pounder ;)
Were you on the Cortez or on the Pacific side?

sharpshooter 04-14-2022 06:29 AM

While spearfishing and stringing up a fish. You've never been bitten. You haven't shot enough fish yet.

SEATUX 04-14-2022 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharpshooter (Post 2207045)
While spearfishing and stringing up a fish. You've never been bitten. You haven't shot enough fish yet.

:lol::lol::lol:

Trigger fish..String thru the gill/mouth..or you Will get Bit :D

Jew fish...I've been gabbed by the shoulder and shaken like a rag doll, all over a disagreement of whose AJ it was..that I shot BTW!

Dbrown 04-15-2022 04:54 PM

Nice video Rene! Definitely been bit by snapper. Typically when I put my hand in front of their mouth like you did. Did get yelled at once for not stringing a triggerfish through the mouth when the guy I handed my stringer to on the boat got bit. And he had a chunk taken out.

Greg4339 04-15-2022 08:07 PM

Yep. Big triggerfish. Had to superglue my finger back together and was out of the water for 9 days. Still have a scar and funny feeling on my finger. I also have a funny feeling I won’t be shooting those anymore

sharpshooter 04-16-2022 08:57 AM

My son during his early teenage spearing days strung up a trigger thru the eyes. I didn't see him shoot and string it up. I heard him screaming underwater and turned around to see him beating a trigger fish on the head with the spear gun butt. The trigger fish was clamped down between his legs near the groin area. Then, he dropped the gun and pulled out his knife. Cut the head completely off. Trigger was still clamped down on a death lock. We aborted the dive. On the boat, I had to use a screwdriver and pliers to get the jaws apart. After getting his wetsuit off. He was lucky on the bite. It was on the upper thigh near his jewels. He said, he new better. But, had forgotten to string thru the gills and out the mouth on his metal stringer. We cleaned his wound out and patched him up. Done diving for the day. The wetsuit hole was a easy fix. Took awhile for the bite to heal up. He has a small scar as a reminder of his careless mistake. He was lucky on the location of the bite. Otherwise, I might not have a grandson and granddaughter. True story.

Dbrown 04-16-2022 09:07 AM

Ohhh man! That story sucks! But it should be published and read before any dive where someone might shoot one that doesn't know about these voracious biters. 😀

PigStikr 04-16-2022 10:25 PM

Great vid. Caught some triggers H&L in Baja and they sure made an impressive noise grinding on the pliers removing the hooks.
The fish that scare me though are halibut. Got bit by a small one many years ago and still have the scar. Teeth are absolutely razor sharp.
Pretty much anything gets a knife through the skull before being strung on a diaper pin through the gills and out the mouth.

https://th.bing.com/th?id=OP.GjH6eug...r=1.5&pid=21.1

stevencabo 04-17-2022 07:01 PM

Yes but not to the bone. I really enjoy seeing those territorial schools of pargo.

renepotvin 04-20-2022 12:17 PM

My policy with triggers is to cut the mouth off right away. I don't believe you can ever kill them. Also, not sure about putting the stringer through the teeth... that would lead to a cut stringer no?

Anyone got their hands crushed inside the gill area of a fish?

NC_Spearo 05-27-2022 08:58 AM

Lots of trigger fish bites here. On my hands and one really good one on the inside of my thigh - I still have a hard lump about 12" down from my groin on my left leg after 4 years.

Last year I had a 12' + tiger shark come from below and get my long fin in his mouth, all the way up to the foot pocket - shook me around for a few seconds and then drug me around for another 10 seconds or so before turning loose. The fin pocket took most of the damage - only 4 stiches across the top of my right foot.

renepotvin 05-27-2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_Spearo (Post 2207474)
Lots of trigger fish bites here. On my hands and one really good one on the inside of my thigh - I still have a hard lump about 12" down from my groin on my left leg after 4 years.

Last year I had a 12' + tiger shark come from below and get my long fin in his mouth, all the way up to the foot pocket - shook me around for a few seconds and then drug me around for another 10 seconds or so before turning loose. The fin pocket took most of the damage - only 4 stiches across the top of my right foot.

Holy cow, that's in front of Morehead?

Marcus 05-27-2022 06:12 PM

Them Triggers can be nasty. I've heard stories from the LA gang in which big Trig's have come up and taken bites out of the ears of divers on the rigs. Not as bad as Mike Tyson...but still.

NC_Spearo 05-28-2022 03:16 PM

Holy cow, that's in front of Morehead?

Yep - just east of the Cape Lookout Shoals. Sharky place over there.