Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Seacidal

A different question of funding MPAs

When you attend these meetings, it's kind of hard not to notice that there are a lot of professionals in attendance, representing many of the non-governmental organizations (NGOs). I have a feeling that a good number of them are being paid for their time.

In contrast, we have divers who are participating in the process on our behalf, and I am not aware of any large, charitable dive organization that is compensating our divers for their time.

Is the State paying the Stakeholder Representatives for their time and effort in the MPA process? Or are other groups throwing in funds? Or are they having to do this all on their own dime?

Does anybody know where the money comes from?

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Re: A different question of funding MPAs

That's an excellent question.

I remember that some groups were getting out of scale amounts of dough from enviro groups like the RLFF and that raised some eyebrows as to it interfering with their objectivity.

It would be nice if there was complete transparency as to who's paying how much and for what/who.

It would also be really nice if we as divers could raise a pool of money at a grassroots (club?) level to pay for travel expenses for Terry and Eric as well as any other reps we send to meetings.
ralphthehalibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
fishmustdie
Power's on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphthehalibut View Post
That's an excellent question.

It would be nice if there was complete transparency as to who's paying how much and for what/who.

It would also be really nice if we as divers could raise a pool of money at a grassroots (club?) level to pay for travel expenses for Terry and Eric as well as any other reps we send to meetings.
I agree completely. I am amazed that the state would allow the RLFF to come in and "pay" for this process. Talk about throwing your weight around. It's like letting the fox guard the hen house. We have a fanatical eco group paying for the MPA process. It's outrageous!

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

I also have heard the Packard group also donated/through a bunch of cash in as well.

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Seacidal

The state even got the Montrose Chemical Company to put money into the MPA process.

This seems to be in keeping with the public-private partnerships concept that is occurring more frequently.

You almost have to wonder why is it that other groups have found such strong support from the public and spearfishers, the most selective, for-consumption hunters, are being ready to become a threatened species?

Maybe we need some good PR?

Last edited by Seacidal; 02-21-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt mattison View Post
I also have heard the Packard group also donated/through a bunch of cash in as well.
I think the Packard Foundation contributes the most money to the RLFF. Isnt the RLFF essentially the Packard foundation?
I think I read that the Intel guy, Andy Grove, gives quite a bit on cash to them too.

How about not using their products? Any chance of that making a difference?
Probably not at this stage of the game...

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Noyo Jim
RFA

Chip - the RLFF is paying the travel and meals and lodging expenses of all the regional stakeholders, unless they are being reimbursed by their organization. They also get a stipend for their time if needed.

It's the least they could do. I liken the situation to that of a developer coming into a community and paying for all the city's time and hassle for the development costs.

Some of the RSG members work for state or federal agencies and their hours are funded by those agencies. I know NOAA fisheries has assigned a staff person or two to the process (finally).

The Recreational Fishing Alliance has put a lot of money into the MLPA process; Sportfishing Association of California pays Bob Fletcher to attend the RSG meetings - ASA has hired a lobbyist, so there are some paid staff on our side too. Although you haven't seen me at the RSG meetings in SoCal, I've been to innumerable state level meetings for the MLPA process, and focus most of my energies on the final regulations (now being implemented for the north-central coast.)

It would be no overestimate to say that the fishing associations collectively have spent over $1 million in staff time and expenses for the MLPA process from the start in south-central. The sea urchin harvesters and the wetfish industry have really ponied up on the commercial side. The California Fisheries Coalition has been spending $10s of thousands of dollars on PR firms.

The only problem is, the enviros are spending 10 times what we are spending.
www.JoinRFA.org

Register for the Tenth Annual Randy Fry Dive Tourney at Albion on Oct. 12th:
www./randyfry2013.eventbrite.com
Noyo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

The whole thing that pisses me off is that what this is going to boil down to is, which ever side has the most money to lobby will get what they want and that is not how it should work. Just my 2-cents and jim I want to thank you for all your hard work that you are doing for us divers reguarding this MLPA situation.

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt mattison View Post
The whole thing that pisses me off is that what this is going to boil down to is, which ever side has the most money to lobby will get what they want and that is not how it should work.
But that's the American way.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
Seacidal

Jim, Thank you for that information. It is really necessary for people to appreciate how much is being done and by whom. I didn't mean to disparage the efforts of the RFA, SAC, CFC, or others. I'm very grateful to their efforts, and of course yours!, for all the help that spearfishers are receiving.

My frustration was directed more at spearfishing's own small world of support and PR. We have some great people, clubs, shops and manufacturers, but we are such a small piece of such a large picture that personalities often obscure our progress.

I hope that the information you have provided is conveyed to others who have questions.

Thanks,
Chip

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacidal View Post
Jim, Thank you for that information. It is really necessary for people to appreciate how much is being done and by whom. I didn't mean to disparage the efforts of the RFA, SAC, CFC, or others. I'm very grateful to their efforts, and of course yours!, for all the help that spearfishers are receiving.

My frustration was directed more at spearfishing's own small world of support and PR. We have some great people, clubs, shops and manufacturers, but we are such a small piece of such a large picture that personalities often obscure our progress.

I hope that the information you have provided is conveyed to others who have questions.

Thanks,
Chip
I must say, this time around, by positioning ourselves as best we can, and being pretty positive in our attitude and dealing with the DFG, and the process as a whole, we as divers have an honest seat at the table. That is a massive step forward compared to previous fishery/ management issues. Much of it is owed to the efforts of CenCal, and the NorCal dive groups, and their devotion to diving, especially in regards to abalone. It has carried down to us in the south, and I am just lucky that I have personally worked on fishing boats, and fished with several of the different members of the RSG and members of the FIN. Whether it gives us a solid victory in our position is not really up to us- but for sure, when the considerations come up for safety and access, and limited ability to travel, we have a presence that will be considered. And by working WITH the fishing groups, we have been able to be recognized as knowledgeable and valuable in the process.

And a LOT of that is directly due to YOU. For that, I am greatful.....and for that, I will be going to a meeting on Tues...and Thurs......

When this is over, shoot me. That's an order.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
headshot

The SD Council of divers is looking for an experienced grant writer.
PM me.
headshot is offline   Reply With Quote