Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Diving Christmas Present

Thought, I'd start something different here. Anybody, get anything related to diving for Christmas? I got some ammo for some of my various PPD's. I know that wasn't easy to find lately. Most of my presents were related to hunting on dry land this year. May this new year bring plenty of calm seas and great visibility.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Diving Christmas Present

Not a diving item but.....Santa brought me a Garmin Explorer Plus satellite communicator. I run a single engine boat and I wanted to be able to text messages to my wife to let her know if we were running late or broken down. If we are broken down and need a tow, I can text my wife (or other contact) my location and she will call Sea Tow and tell them to come get me. My wife can text me back to let me know she received my messages and that help is on the way. For only about $400.00 it’s an added level of safety. When you are out 30 to 50 miles VHF can be iffy at times. If for any reason Satellite or VHF does not work, I can activate my 406 MHz EPIRB but you really don’t want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary. You will need sign up for a monthly service subscription. There are several plans available but I signed up for the basic plan which is $11.95 per month and allows 12 free texts per month. Additional text messages are .50 each.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 01-02-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Not a diving item but.....Santa brought me a Garmin Explorer Plus satellite communicator. I run a single engine boat and I wanted to be able to text messages to my wife to let her know if we were running late or broken down. If we are broken down and need a tow, I can text my wife (or other contact) my location and she will call Sea Tow and tell them to come get me. My wife can text me back to let me know she received my messages and that help is on the way. For only about $400.00 it’s an added level of safety as when you are out 30 to 50 miles VHF can be iffy at best. If for any reason Satellite or VHF does not work, I can activate my 406 MHz EPIRB but you really don’t want to do that unless it is absolutely necessary. You will need sign up for a monthly service subscription. There are several plans available but I signed up for the basic plan which is $11.95 per month and allows 12 free texts per month. Additional text messages are .50 each.
THAT is a Great post!
I hope you never need it or the EPIRB ( I carry an EPIRB also, but don't have the satellite communicator, I was unaware of them, till now)
THANKS!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
jfjf

Got a Dive Parka from Dano! No more scouring the thrift stores for size xxxL jackets!

It is pretty nice, I'm gonna feel bad the first time I smear fish snot on it.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #5
grey2112

Twin Garmin 9" GPS/Sonar units, boat EPIRB with texting ability, and a custom Gheenoe boat ready in May so me and the wifey can do some inshore and river/lake fishing and exploring. We hit 54 years of age and 31 years of marriage and are going to live our lives to the fullest while we can. Screw politics, the world, and society.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #6
mleach2114

Got a 5mil wetsuit to hopefully tolerate cooler water temps and extend my diving season
mleach2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleach2114 View Post
Got a 5mil wetsuit to hopefully tolerate cooler water temps and extend my diving season
Matt, you just let me know when you want to try that out - I will take you to a spot, drop you, and sit up top sipping hot tea with rum/scotch waiting for your return - LOL.

Oh, and you have to share the fish
Old 01-02-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
mleach2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Matt, you just let me know when you want to try that out - I will take you to a spot, drop you, and sit up top sipping hot tea with rum/scotch waiting for your return - LOL.

Oh, and you have to share the fish
5mil or not, if the temp starts with a 5 or less ill be sitting on deck as well lol. Dove one time below 70 degrees shark tooth hunting in Venice wearing a 3mil and it wasn't for me, hoping the 5 will at least allow me to tolerate high 60s.
mleach2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #9
Dbrown

Hmm, I got an Apple Watch.
That has nothing to do with diving, but still very happy with it.

I guess I did buy myself my own Xmas present in Nov with the carbon fiber fins from Rich.....I didn't want to wait until Xmas so I could use them before the winter front after front has been hitting.

Did conspire with my buddy's wife. So he was very surprised and stoked with his brand new Ocean Rhino RX5 custom white speargun with U of Miami orange and green splatter coat from Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4484.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	246461  
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #10
Diverboy067

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Twin Garmin 9" GPS/Sonar units, boat EPIRB with texting ability, and a custom Gheenoe boat ready in May so me and the wifey can do some inshore and river/lake fishing and exploring. We hit 54 years of age and 31 years of marriage and are going to live our lives to the fullest while we can. Screw politics, the world, and society.
Garmin?? Coming to the dark side?
Diverboy067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #11
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleach2114 View Post
One item I always bring with me is a 2 mil vest even in summer. Just in case you hit a cold water pocket. If you bring a vest you'll be good for at least 2 dives this winter. The first dive with the 5 mil. and the second dive with the dry vest on underneath the wet 5 mil.. I know some guys bring a small cooler of hot water and let their cold wet suit soak in hot water. I tried that a few times. Does keep that "initial" cold water shock at bay. A beanie or hood helps a lot too.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverboy067 View Post
Garmin?? Coming to the dark side?
LOL - for the price, I took the plunge. Very happy so far with them.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #13
sharpshooter

The rest of you guys must of been naughty and Santa didn't bring you anything. Haha