Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
CaptainHook

DIY - Melt your own Diving Weight - Quick release Camouflage

Today i produced one Quick release Diving Weight and did a small Tutorial how to do it. I think in america its much easier to get some lead for free

https://youtu.be/_vglf2WdQLs

Greetings from Germany
CaptainHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
FreediveCA

Re: DIY - Melt your own Diving Weight - Quick release Camouflage

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

What's the fishing like in Germany?
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
CaptainHook

Thank you!

I cannot recommend Germany for Spearfishing, it is simply not allowed ;(, you have to drive to Denmark France or Italy...

When i found more Lead i will build some more Weights but it takes ages to find it with the metaldetector
CaptainHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
FreediveCA

That's quite a drive.

Another option for finding some lead would be to dive the shores where hook/line guys frequent. So many lost weights there. Plus it works twofold. You get lead and you get to work on your freediving.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
cam3087

So many unsafe practices here in this video I hope nobody follows it. Please do you homework prior to working with lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cam3087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam3087 View Post
So many unsafe practices here in this video I hope nobody follows it. Please do you homework prior to working with lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Care to expand on that? Obviously the mask was not the appropriate mask (at least he was outside... I've seen people do it with no mask inside and I think, really?). Could have used better suited gloves as well. I would also not use that torch. Other than that I am not too sure of the other unsafe practices. I am nowhere close to an expert on this so I would like to hear your, or anyone else's, thoughts.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #7
PigStikr
The Stalker

Lead does really bad things to your brain. That white stuff that eventually forms on your weights? Lead oxide - get it on your hands, breath it, ingest it - bad. Soft weights with lead shot = much more surface area to oxidize.
Coated weights, not so bad.
Best way to find lead if you can safely pour it is to search around the bottom of offramps on major freeways. Wheel weights work their way loose on long trips, but the spinning wheel holds them until the vehicle stops, usually at the bottom of an offramp.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
SEATUX

When I was a kid I melted lead and poured action figures, lead soldiers etc, and or cource painted them. I got all the lead I could ever use by digging in the dirt hill behind an abandoned police firing range, LOTS of lead there!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
popgun pete

Ditto to above, most of my lead weights are home-made, only had to buy two when on a trip changed up to a 7 mm suit from a 5 mm. Collected fishing sinkers from the bottom and turned them all into lead weights. Printer's metal also used for weights as lead with antimony in it which hardens the alloy. Still around despite cooking up all that lead, my Pop did the same and never had any adverse health problems on that score. People today are bombarded with all sorts of scare messages, but reality is somewhat different.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
Mikel_24

I used to get a fair amount of lead from a friend of mine who does remodeling work in houses. Not so long ago, most of the waste plumbing was lead tube, so there you go.

Also, some of the direct buried (no conduit) telephone cable splices where protected by a lead cover, so whenever I saw some workers doing telephone line repairs, I got by and asked them about it.

Some people get the lead out of car batteries but I don't think that's your best bet... you have to dispose of the acid somehow/somewhere.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote