Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo
Re: cabo in shore report

Here's what the arena looked like this morning. I went down to the same breakwater hoping to find a pargo hiding amongst the rocks. Instead I found another cabrilla. I saw its tail first and as I swam over to where it was it came out from under a rock and I was directly over it. It seemed like I went back and forth a bunch of times whether to take the shot or not, all whithin a second. You don't get much of a target from above the fish. The north wind has been blowing for the last three days so I thought the water might be cooler but it's still around 75. The visibility was really clear, at least seven feet, which is how deep the bottom was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC290212 (640x480).jpg
Views:	902
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	90994   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC290211 (640x480).jpg
Views:	912
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	90995  
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
stevencabo
tercermundista

The odds have been stacking up in my favor. I've been out five times and have come back empty handed. It's just a matter of how many go outs before I come across something I like. So, I thought one more try at the breakwater. The last couple of go outs the sardines have been getting thinner and thinner, but, I keep seeing the same pargo in the same area every time I've been there. I've had two shots at him and I'm starting to feel a bit like wile coyote and the roadrunner. Today I arrive, walk down to have a look and see much more than the normal amount of bird life hanging out in the water and on the rocks. I run back to the car to get geared up and realize I left my gun at the house. A half and hour later and every swear word in english and spanish I could think of, I'm back for take two.
I get in the water and there are so many sardines I can't even make out gills or tails of what I'm looking at. I get about half way down the breakwater and I spot two cabrillas together, first a small one and then a bigger one. I get a not so sure shot off at the bigger one and it stuck. My slip tip didn't go through but it did wedge itself inside its body. I untangle him from the maze of rocks and go look for Mr. pargo. I get to the exact spot where I've seen him other times and wait on top of the rocks. All of a sudden I see the sand moving and realize it's the pargo pretending to be sand. If he could have closed his eyes he would of snuck right by me , cuz all I saw were his eyeballs. I was top of him and thought I had an easy shot and took it. I missed him and "beep beep" he was gone. Oh well, maybe the odds are stacking up against him,,,I hope.
We've been having winding cool days but the conditions are still decent. Water was around 74 and the air felt the same. The visiblity in 6-8 feet of water was crystal clear.
I stopped by the Mega market to see what they had on display at the fish tables and found this beautifull, giant garibaldi.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110254 (640x480).jpg
Views:	839
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	92130   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110258 (480x640).jpg
Views:	813
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	92131   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110260 (800x600).jpg
Views:	902
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	92132  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
stevencabo
tercermundista

I could see my cabrilla had a full stomach but once I cut him open I had no idea he could hold so many sardines. If he wouldn't have died by the spear he would have died from gluttony.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110261 (800x600).jpg
Views:	923
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	92161  
Old 01-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #19
Icarus Pacific
No Cal

Is that a Totuava you're holding up in your Avatar?
Icarus Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Pacific View Post
Is that a Totuava you're holding up in your Avatar?
I think youre kidding, but in case your not;
It's a big Snook.

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #21
stevencabo
tercermundista

If the snook didn't have that distinguishing black line they might get mixed up. Thank you Westbury, snook in the avatar, totuava in this picture. Totuava don't make it down to cabo, but one was reported caught on the east cape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	totoatony.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	92225  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #22
Icarus Pacific
No Cal

Yeah, I was kidding. The noise about them being on the no shoot list and all makes it even up here.
Icarus Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
stevencabo
tercermundista

It's only been a couple of days since my last report so conditions haven't changed. I thought I'd go back to the breakwater to find that pargo that I keep seeing. As I hurry down to the beach I see the fishermen are already on the spot. The urgency of my walk immediately slows down. I take my time walking to the breakwater thinking about what I might see. I get into the water and find that the sardines are still there but not quite as thick as they were two days ago. With it being high tide, I slowly start swimming over the rocks and right away see a small pargo, good sign. I keep going and see in the distance a bigger one that looks worthy of pursuing. He's above the rocks but moves out onto the sand. I watch him as he slowly moves out of range but still close enough to see where he is. I think to myself, why not try that asbestos thing that I keep reading about on spearboard. I move out over the sand and dive down deep to five fsw ,whew, and wait. Sure enough, here he comes right at me but I'm not sure if it's him because all I see is the front of it's face. He gets within about six feet and turns and I get the ID and the shot off at about the same time. I tie him off and continue down the breakwater to see if I might be able to find the pargo I origanlly came after. I get to the corner and the fishermen are right on the spot, I realize I wont have a shot at him today. I talked to the fisherman and tell them what's underwater. Pargo, cabrilla, sierra, grunts, and I even saw some bonita zipping by scaring the bait. I turned around and as I was swimming back a cabrilla is just sitting there and lets me get within inches, so I take him too. Very satisfying 20 minute dive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1130265 (640x480).jpg
Views:	828
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	92305  
Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #24
Ammo

Great reports! Glad to see another daily shore diver
Ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #25
stevencabo
tercermundista

Thanks Ammo. First post? I'm honored. Got anything to report from Cobano?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #26
Ammo

yeah first post...just got internet at my work for the first time in a LOOONG time. I have been doing about like you, some decent snapper when the water is good. I am going to buy a camara off someone soon so I can start posting some pics. I have been loving your posts though. keep it coming
Ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #27
stevencabo
tercermundista

Just got internet? Much better than watching novela's. Looking at your avatar makes me wonder how many adventures have started at the end of that pier.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
njspearo
J valve

Send a message via AIM to njspearo

nice reports steven cabo!
man havin a sweet spot to shore dive is always awesome.
keep up the reporting and pic posting!
njspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 AM   #29
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencabo View Post
I ate it whole/entero, and it was good with my survivalist cooking skills. I imagine asian style would spice it up nicely. What would I need?
Ginger, green onions/scallions, some sort of vegetable oil(try peanut) and soy sauce. Gut the fish and steam entero with some slices of ginger and cebollita inside. At the same time, get a small pan and get some oil and soy sauce in it, enough to dump on the fish and get some over the whole thing. Heat them together until they are hot.

When the fish is cooked, put it on a plate and add some more fresh thinly sliced green onion, almost a julienne, and the same with the ginger. Take that hot peanut oil/soy sauce and pour it on top of the fresh stuff on the fish and let it crackle over the greens and the skin of the fish.

The soy/oil mix will glaze on the fish a bit and will mix with the fish's juices as they run together on the bottom of the plate. You can spoon this over white rice and eat it together with the fish.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #30
stevencabo
tercermundista

Hey Mike, that recipe might be just what I need to get my cooking out of the dark ages, thanks.