Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
renepotvin

Question can anyone identify the material?

The website does not say what type of neoprene... (real manufacturer and model) and I don't know if I should buy it from a friend...

If we have an expert, I'm still trying to identify the provenance of the material of the xtend from dessault.

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:01 AM   #2
Behslayer

Re: can anyone identify the material?

Hi Rene,

I made that suit for Rob Allen. Drew the Camo, Designed the Patterns, etc. It's Sheico Compression Resistant Neoprene. Not sure by the pic which suit it is whether you are buying a 2mm? 3.5mm? 5mm? Inside could be Open Cell, XTEND or Stretch Nylon depending on which suit. Outside could be Ultraspan or Nylon depending on the Model.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
renepotvin

OH wow, we have an answer about one suit! woohoo! Sheico compression resistant neoprene compares how with heiwa sk? I know, this is one hell of a hail mary of a question lol.

From what I read, sheico is ok with repeated 20 m dives while Heiwa sk is ok with 30 m. Is Sheiko compression resistant neoprene different from other Sheiko or is it only marketing? My average dive in mexico is about 23 m... and yamamoto gets destroyed like carboard in water...

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepotvin View Post
OH wow, we have an answer about one suit! woohoo! Sheico compression resistant neoprene compares how with heiwa sk? I know, this is one hell of a hail mary of a question lol.

From what I read, sheico is ok with repeated 20 m dives while Heiwa sk is ok with 30 m. Is Sheiko compression resistant neoprene different from other Sheiko or is it only marketing? My average dive in mexico is about 23 m... and yamamoto gets destroyed like carboard in water...
And yet Yamamoto has the reputation of being the standard/bar of quality for all other neoprenes to aim for.

( which, BTW, I disagree with)
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Behslayer

Rene, I'll PM you. I don't like to talk too specifically about Manufacturing in Open Forums. But I think if you look around you will see a whole lot of Old Rob Allen Wetsuits, Spetton Wetsuits, Waterman's Guide wetsuits, being used. They tend to hold up well.

Over here in Hawaii People dive Reallllly deep all the time. I never been a uge fan of Yammamoto Rubber. It's light and Airy.. but that comes at a price. I've seen some ridiculous Permanent Compression in many suits over here from different brands.

Let me know which of the Rob Allen Suit Models you are looking at.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #6
JJohansen

Hey Rene, I'm using that exact suit here in Hawaii and it's probably the best suit I've ever used. I'm not diving much past 20 meters, but I wouldn't expect a problem if I did.

Jon, you sure designed a good suit! I'm back in diving shape again after all kinds of ear issues and time issues. I'm rethinking my reef gun setup, been using a rob Allen 140 for years and would love to check yours out.
JJohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 AM   #7
Behslayer

Hi Josh,

Are you back on Island? I'll send you an email. We got lots to talk about and some diving to catch up on. Kids been dragging me out Surfing past few days..