Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #31
skygear
          

Re: Sherpa stew!

There was a German family I would give fish too. They would take ANY fish and do similar with it. From the best fish to the 'trash' fish, it was all the same to them. They made soup with them.

After watching this for a couple months, I started giving them buckets of American Shad and they preferred them over any of the other fish I was spearing. The middle eastern neighbors started asking for the same fish so it was done deal. Toss the cast net on the way in, fill up everything we had and feed the neighbors what they wanted. That way, we got to keep the fish we selected for ourselves.
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #32
GatorNative

Used to make chowder or "bouillabaisse" of any good sized gag carcass, especially in the cooler months. Shame to waste all that meat in the head. We just cut out the eyes, all guts, gills and then boil. Pick-out all the bones and skin. Throw-in some rock shrimp, veggies, etc.
Might hafta try it out again on big Tennessee blue cat.
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #33
skygear
          

You know, when I am at the docks and see people coming off the charters having the deck hands filet the fish and toss the carcasses overboard. It really makes me shake my head. I understand that most are tourists and they are most likely going to get the restaurant to cook the fish for them. We do not leave much of the fish to waste.
skygear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #34
Basskrieg

Grey- I made this last night for my family, two of which are not big fish lovers and they all absolutely loved it, and I agree, it was (pardon my french here) f------ awesome! Thank you very much for posting this recipe, it was truly amazing and I will never throw fish scraps away again! Much props!!!!!!

PS: I used grunt for this by the way- yum!
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #35
Ocean

next time take away eyes and gills) should taste even better
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #36
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basskrieg View Post

Grey- I made this last night for my family, two of which are not big fish lovers and they all absolutely loved it, and I agree, it was (pardon my french here) f------ awesome! Thank you very much for posting this recipe, it was truly amazing and I will never throw fish scraps away again! Much props!!!!!!

PS: I used grunt for this by the way- yum!
Awesome - so glad I could make some people smile and appreciate good food. Yeah, we in this country have forgotten that there are some amazing taste experiences out there if we can just get beyond our pre-concieved notions of ingredients and the "ick" factor. So often, when we as fishermen/women can get fresh ingredients and prepare them properly with simple seasonings, the end result is simply amazing and hopefully will keep you and your loved ones out of the chain restaurants that suck arse.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #37
grey2112

With Sherpa coming back in numbers this winter, time to remind you mofos of the magical wonderment of Sherpa Stew!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote