Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:00 AM   #1
Andersp90

target stand: looking for design advice

Hello everyone.

We have a decommissioned harbor close to where I live, so I am planning on building a target stand so I can do some practice shooting/tests there.

I was thinking something in the lines of spearq8's setup ( the right one), but smaller, so it becomes portable.

I plan on using the same type of styrofoam as spearq8, and I am thinking that a thickness of 5 cm should represent the 2-5 kg fish we get here pretty well?

A freind of mine is willing to do any welding needed.

So, I am looking for input on: the stand itself, thickness/size of the sytrofoam and the targets themselves.

Fire away!

Andersp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
musubi

Re: target stand: looking for design advice

I'd be interested in seeing your design and what you come up with.
The limited targets I've used in the past did not use a sturdy stand and was basically a kid's boogie board cut in half and about 9 lbs of weight. That was portable, but even that was cumbersome. I'm thinking, if it's going to be portable, you'll want the setup small, or light framing. I'm sure spearq8 has his target left in his pool since it's probably very heavy.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
kodama

I have been using weighted styrofoam and it is far from ideal. A stand is going to be very heavy since it needs the weight to pull the target down and a stable base to stay upright.
I would consider building something you can leave in the water. Unless the place ours failed by other divers none is going to take it home. Especially when it is very heavy.
You will enjoy shooting a heavy target much more!
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Andersp90

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I'd be interested in seeing your design and what you come up with.
The limited targets I've used in the past did not use a sturdy stand and was basically a kid's boogie board cut in half and about 9 lbs of weight. That was portable, but even that was cumbersome. I'm thinking, if it's going to be portable, you'll want the setup small, or light framing. I'm sure spearq8 has his target left in his pool since it's probably very heavy.
The plan so far is to start with a small target of 38kg/m3 construction styroboard, held in place by leadweights and strings. So something similar to spearq8's left setup.
Just to get an idea of buoyancy, thickness etc.

When that is figured out, I will make the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I have been using weighted styrofoam and it is far from ideal. A stand is going to be very heavy since it needs the weight to pull the target down and a stable base to stay upright.
I would consider building something you can leave in the water. Unless the place ours failed by other divers none is going to take it home. Especially when it is very heavy.
You will enjoy shooting a heavy target much more!
Its a very popular spot among scuba divers, so something portable is a must.
Andersp90 is offline   Reply With Quote