Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
shafe

The most popular wetsuit -- help improve a three year study of posts

I'm upgrading to a 7mm open cell for a winter of shore-based spearfishing and lobster diving. I also want to build a reference guide for the community. I read the last three years of posts regarding wetsuits and have listed a ROUGH, SUBJECTIVE ranking of brand popularity and their characteristics for us all to refer to when they are in the market for a new suit.

For overall satisfaction, I counted the positive and negative reviews then weighted the experience of the diver as some people reported to have owned multiple suits over a lifetime of diving and others were just getting started. Obviously fit, price and type of diving are big factors that must be considered individually, as are patterns and just pure idiosyncratic preference.

I need more commentary on each brand's characteristics. Some of the posts were dated (the last extensive discussion was 3 years ago) and vague so...

** I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON WHAT YOU LIKE OR DISLIKE ABOUT EACH BRAND YOU HAVE OWNED RECENTLY regarding warmth, durability, flexibility, ease of putting on/taking off the wetsuit and cost.** For example "Loved my Riffe. Super warm, withstands several seasons of lobster diving, a bit stiff, a bitch to take off and a moderate price. My old Cressi was... "

At the end of the discussion I will edit the rankings and beef up the strengths/weaknesses of each brand for the community's future reference.

Here are my initial findings ranked in order by positive vs negative comments. Like I said, I am just reporting what I read in the posts, not making a definitive judgement.

Most popular:
M&B - superb custom fit, most durable, warmest, no negative comments
Rob Allen - most durable, warmest, no negative comments
JBL - most durable, warmest, no negative comments
Spetton - most durable, warmest, no negative comments
Beauchat - most durable, warmest, no negative comments

Popular:
JMJ - superb custom fit, most durable, warmest, but fewer comments than above tier
Mako - durable, warm, no-lube needed, much loved but some quality issues with seams, beavertail velcro
Sporasub - durable, warm, no negative comments
Riffe - durable, warm, no negative comments
Picasso - well liked

Less popular:
Cressi - mixed reviews regarding durability, many comments
Omer - mixed reviews regarding durability, many comments
Elios - great reviews but few comments
Elite - great reviews but few comments
Imersion - great reviews but few comments
Deep Thought - great reviews but few comments
Polo Sub - great reviews but few comments
Nautilus - well liked but few comments
Yazbeck - too delicate, few comments
Marea - too delicate, few comments

I'm clearly hoping for more detail on the strengths and weaknesses. Thanks in advance for weighing in.

Last edited by shafe; 09-13-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Edited to include more brands and make a more specific request about how to weigh in
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
bearclaw
Shaft slinger

Re: The most popular wetsuit -- a three year study of posts

I have a Omer 2 piece 5mm that has been super durable for me, 2 years after getting it from Andy at BWH in SB and it is going strong. No seam or other issues. And I am not know to take care of gear...
bearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Cameronv
Ando26

You don't need lube for a rob allen?! I've heard different reviews on a few suits you've mentioned, and some sound familiar.

My omer 7mm 3d camo is a great suit. It's not very durable, but very comfy and stretchy. If you take care of it, it'll last for ever. I certainly don't baby my gear. With the price, I probably wouldn't buy it again. It looks pretty BA in my opinion though. The more urchins you have on the suit, the more luck you have. Thats what I heard... haha
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
bindoubt

I'm still new to this sport, but I have a M&B wetsuit. after reading lots of reviews I decided to get it due to the reasons listed above. Plus I'm over weight and it was hard to find a off the shelf suit that would fit. so the custom sized wetsuits are very nice. He will also do repairs and resize the wetsuit if you need it in the future. so those are big pluses for me.

-brandon
bindoubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
fishkillapro

You forgot Deep Thought & PoloSub
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
teaknsteel
Creator of fine teak dust

Now THAT's how to use the SEARCH FUNCTION.

Heaven is in your future. Well done young sir

Newbies, take note.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence up against a fish and loses had it coming." - John Steinbeck
teaknsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Elios suits are insane, Any custom suit from Europe where they use quality material is going to be awesome
My RA suit was pretty good, you defnitetely need lube to get into it though.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
norcalsurfer

I just bought my first open cell suit this year. Picked up a Beuchat - Marlin Prestige and love it to death. My buddy and I spend around 4-5 hours in the water and it does the job. Super flexible, really soft, and water tight.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
apexdiver
Tony

What ever happend to the gatku suits?I was going to pick one up and they are not on the website anymore???Now i have decided on either the yazbeck or jbl.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
You forgot Deep Thought & PoloSub
I just had a custom suit made by Antonio, owner of Deep Thought and it is awesome. Very well made and they took measurements of everything. Great looking camo.

Cost about $450. A bit more than what you would pay for an off the shelf suit, but well worth it. I'll always buy a custom from here on out.

My Immersion suit held up pretty darn good too. Sizing was inconsistent.That brand needs to be added to the list.

Ive owned several Picasso's. A 3mm that I'm wearing in my avatar. I still have it and it's held up well. open cell.
A 5mm Picasso camo that was a great suit. Fit was excellent and held up really well. I also owned a 5mm Picasso Chicle' suit (smooth neoprene) it lasted about 2-3 dives before it literally blew up while putting it on. Id never own one again.
A Picasso 7mm with the gold Termic lining that was gimmicky. It never really gave me the warmth that it should. I still have it and although a bit stiff, still holding up well.

Last edited by WESTBURY; 09-11-2013 at 10:41 PM.
WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Behslayer

There's a few Rob Allen Suits out there. One of the styles they ran was a Lined Suit with an Open Cell Chest. Those were nice as they were easy enough tot get into without any Lube, i.e. you could take them off in the sand.. The Chest was Open Cell so that gave some added warmth in the core. I think the current range of suits 3.5mm and above are all Open Cell. As you are considering a 7mm I did notice they were selling a 7mm Commercial Suit (all black) which I know was developed by Commercial abalone Divers in New Zealand where it is Butt Cold. What I like most about those is the UltraFlexible materials used in the entire suit and also the fact that the Neoprene is Depth Rated for compression resistance.. which makes a big difference in a 7mm.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
ImpalaSSpeed96
The Fluke Bridesmaid

My Mako suit, no complaints, but I have no idea how you get it on with no lube... If it isn't lubed up great, it's annoying to get on and uncomfortable. Proper lube used, no issues at all.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
laguna80
El Capitan

Unless mako has changed the design of their suits, then you most definitely need lube. That is unless you enjoy your hairs being ripped out in slow, agonizing pain.

EDIT: Oh I guess I should say, I have a 7mm mako. It's served me very well. It's got a few small tears/strings hanging from crawling out of the water over rocks on occasion, but otherwise it's held up well. I've had it for a year now. I used it all during winter and I stayed warm, even got slightly hot sometimes during my breath up. I run pretty warm myself though, so I think I'd be more comfortable with a 5mm year round.

Last edited by laguna80; 09-11-2013 at 11:50 PM.
laguna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
shafe

I updated the list to include more brands and made the request for comments more specific. I also changed RA's from no lube needed to lube needed!

Keep em coming and please be specific about each brand you have owned regarding warmth, durability, flexibility, ease of putting on/taking off the wetsuit and cost.
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
pukahd

M&B for me. I dont need very much lube. Easy on and off. Don will make any adjustments needed no problem. I have a 5mm high waste 2 pc.

I also have big calves and my suit fits me and my calves like a glove. Super comfy, durable, warm but the most benificial benefit is the easy on and off with only a tiny bit or conditioner.

Dons's attn to the most detailed measurement locations and precision with his stitching really wowed me after seeing the final product......even my melon head fit perfectly.

Last edited by pukahd; 09-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.
pukahd is offline   Reply With Quote