Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
biglimit

Costa Rica

Does anybody have any tips for spearfishing in the south pacific part of Costa Rica? I will be going to Uvita in January for a week and want to get in the water. Seems like wahoo, dorado, yft and billfish are all possible but there is not much information on it online about poking them with my shaft. I was wondering if anyone has any experience down there?

Thank you!
biglimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
Powers
Dad

Re: Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglimit View Post
Does anybody have any tips for spearfishing in the south pacific part of Costa Rica? I will be going to Uvita in January for a week and want to get in the water. Seems like wahoo, dorado, yft and billfish are all possible but there is not much information on it online about poking them with my shaft. I was wondering if anyone has any experience down there?

Thank you!
Check out Soul Spearfishing out of Jaco, an hour and a half north of you. Armel is a great guy.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:05 AM   #3
VicT

Went there last year. 2 VERY IMPORTANT THINGS TO HAVE WHEN FISHING (or even going to the store). #1 - Your Passport. I did not know this but foreigners are required to have them At All Times...No Joke. Police will take you to jail. #2 Even More Important. Costa Rica takes there fishing waters Very Serious and you better - better have a license or You Will Go To Jail. I had a great time and made some good friends. This is what they told me, and proved true when the Costa Rican federalies stop our boat on the way home. They all had guns and not one smiled once during the boat check. Just be mellow, respectful, and have fun.

Vic
VicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Had lousy rainy conditions on my trip there. Blown out offshore, no dice. They took me reef diving inshore, and though dirty, I had snappers and parrots and a few Chino Mero type hawkfish. There were some Sierra swimming by but too dirty to get on them. A couple bigger pargo, and one reef had AJ's on the deeper side of it, around 45ft down on a 70ft depth area.
Avoid the river mouths...... I was diving VERY close to a big saltwater croc, and the pangero didn't have the thought that I was in any more danger than the nearby surfers...... except surfers don't swim around with 40lb of fish on them heading back to the boat. They told me the wahoo were very good until I brought the bad weather with me.....
Old 01-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #5
biglimit

Thanks for the reply guys!!

Soul Spearfishing was on the list of charters to call so thank you for the recommendation. I will make sure to book an offshore if conditions permit.

Also, thank you for the fishing license tip. I was unaware this was needed.

Weather is looking good so far and waves are small, so hopefully shore diving is an option too. I know the inshore viz is very hit or miss.

Worst case scenario we will be targeting big snook and roosterfish with rod and reel!
biglimit is offline   Reply With Quote