Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #3526
heybuddies

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Out of Clearwater pass 4/17/21. Viz in 85 fsw was about 50'. Temp 69. Deeper in 110 fsw viz on bottom a clear 20'. Temp 67. No jellyfish.
Are those surface or bottom temps?
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #3527
Dbrown

Bottom. Top is 70.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #3528
heybuddies

Out looking for cobia on Friday at a few artificials. Almost no bait on any wrecks, and even cudaa were a rare sighting. Anyone else see something like this? I’ve never been diving a wreck this time of year without super thick bait balls everywhere.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #3529
grock

Been seeing bait pods on top within the first 20 miles offshore and flying fish beginning around 30-40 miles, trolling and fishing.

Any depth and surface and bottom temps to report? Thanks Michael
grock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #3530
heybuddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by grock View Post
Been seeing bait pods on top within the first 20 miles offshore and flying fish beginning around 30-40 miles, trolling and fishing.

Any depth and surface and bottom temps to report? Thanks Michael
Sorry just saw this. Was 74° surface. I Freedive and watch doesn’t have temp on it so note sure about bottom. Might go out tomorrow afternoon if seas maybe down for AJ. Will report back if so.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #3531
heybuddies

Out of Clearwater pass -red tide everywhere from 3-12 miles out thanks to Piney Point (which has claimed doesn’t impact the gulf water at all). Moved from Indian shores reef to the Sheridan. Surface temp increased to 78° in 75fsw there. Cuda, Goliath and 24” AJ plus some decent gags. Red tide was finally unobservable in 75’.

If we don’t don’t start a petition to make these companies liable for their damage to the marine environment no one will. I will post a link to sign and distribute over the next few days.

Last edited by heybuddies; 05-09-2021 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #3532
Marlin Hunter

Dove yesterday 25 Miles WNW of Hurricane Pass in 70FT. Viz was about 50-60 FT vertical from the surface and about 30-40 Ft horizontal on the bottom. Lots of gumbo, but a good variety of fish to spear (mangos, hog fish, large lion fish). A bit sharkey on the bottom (Reef or Lemon) and at the surface next to boat (Bull).

Also encountered large patches of surface algae blooms about 20 miles out. Light tan to yellow fine particulates. Included some decomposing fish and sargassum. No signs of mass fish kills. Wondering if it could be a light accumulation of red tide or something else. Anybody else seen this in that vicinity recently?
Marlin Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #3533
heybuddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
Dove yesterday 25 Miles WNW of Hurricane Pass in 70FT. Viz was about 50-60 FT vertical from the surface and about 30-40 Ft horizontal on the bottom. Lots of gumbo, but a good variety of fish to spear (mangos, hog fish, large lion fish). A bit sharkey on the bottom (Reef or Lemon) and at the surface next to boat (Bull).

Also encountered large patches of surface algae blooms about 20 miles out. Light tan to yellow fine particulates. Included some decomposing fish and sargassum. No signs of mass fish kills. Wondering if it could be a light accumulation of red tide or something else. Anybody else seen this in that vicinity recently?
Yep. See my post above. We can thank Piney Point, our state and local government and Wall Street for f***king up our water ways by leaking and now dumping phosphate and mining byproducts, i.e. nitrogen, in Tampa Bay to “prevent a catastrophe.” I’ve lived and fished in Tampa bay for 43 years and this is the first I have seen red tide in water below 80° The only group not culpable is the Army Corps of Engineers who have been saying this was going to happen for decades.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:05 AM   #3534
grock

Dove for the first time this year yesterday nw of JP on flat calm seas. 55 fsw bottom was covered up in thick green gumbo. Not very fishy other than mangos and gags so I bailed.

Moved to 65 fsw and less gumbo and speared a couple 18” scamp grouper. The hogs were borderline size so I left them alone.

2nd tank moved out to 70 fsw and much better viz and even less gumbo. Found the hogfish on the high tabletop side of the break. Picked out 3 nice ones around 18” left the close ones to grow.

Moved a mile to another spot and picked up my last 2 hogfish, similar conditions.

Lots of gags everywhere a few red grouper close in size, lots of blue/yellow and French angel fish. Parrotfish on the deeper dives. A couple big turtles greeted us but no video like Dbrown.

Bottom temp 79 on first 2 dives and 77 on last 2 dives. Altogether a great day, with shake out dives and first run on our boat since doing renovations on our Stamas which are nearly complete waiting on new Llebroc seats and upholstery on the helm.

The new Cummins diesel generator ran great and kept the cabin air conditioning 72 degrees and the newly added hot water on the rigging station made for a hot shower after getting chilled in a 1 mm suit.
grock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #3535
Hoghunter

Out today out of 3 rooker veterans area all gumboed up. some fish around waiting till Tuesday to die. hopefully the gumbo wont get any worse.
Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:33 AM   #3536
grey2112

Yesterday out in 65 feet of water, west of Tarpon Springs. Decent viz though it got a little hazy at times. 81-83 temp down there throughout the day. Skittish gags (of course), no gumbo, lots of mangos, quite a few sheepies, very few shootable hogs. Nurse sharks and one inquisitive hammerhead encountered. Good day.

PS - anyone want to trade an ARS for a gag? Me and the wife prefer ARS. I will fillet this bad boy up (30 incher) as well as the cheeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20210604_130145.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	247055   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20210604_130138.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	247056  

Last edited by grey2112; 06-05-2021 at 03:42 PM.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #3537
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

We headed out from New Port Richey on Friday June 4th for the ARS opening. 1st stop was about 65 miles NW in 85’. Vis was very good (50’) and temp was 77/78 ish. We saw a ton of big ARS in this area 3 weeks ago so we were hoping they were still there. Unfortunately the bottom temp had shot up 5 degrees since then and there were far fewer than before. We did manage to get 4 nice 8 or 10 lb ARS there. We hit a couple other spots in the area but no ARS were found. We decided to head offshore to 111ft. in hopes of finding cooler water and more ARS. Fortunately the ARS were home and we landed 6 more nice ones so we had our 10 fish limit. We saw a ton of big Gags throughout the day but they were very spooky. We managed to boat 4 nice Gags that were in the 10 to 15 lb range. We also got a fair number of Scamp and Hogfish which added up to a very nice cooler of fish. The seas were absolutely flat calm until about 3:30 when a light sea breeze kicked in with a 1ft sea for the ride home. Overall a very enjoyable day with good friends and incredible diving/sea conditions. However, these get up at 4:30 am……run 75 miles…..and get home at 9:00 pm make for a very long day. At my age (almost 65) the next day my body reminds me that I’m getting old! However, it won’t be long before we load up and do it again.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:58 PM   #3538
mleach2114

Nice Gag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Yesterday out in 65 feet of water, west of Tarpon Springs. Decent viz though it got a little hazy at times. 81-83 temp down there throughout the day. Skittish gags (of course), no gumbo, lots of mangos, quite a few sheepies, very few shootable hogs. Nurse sharks and one inquisitive hammerhead encountered. Good day.

PS - anyone want to trade an ARS for a gag? Me and the wife prefer ARS. I will fillet this bad boy up (30 incher) as well as the cheeks.
mleach2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #3539
CuzzA

We ran 55 miles out of Sutherland. Less than 2ft. seas. 120 fsw. 80°. Very slight thermo at 30 fsw. Viz was 40 ft. Shot up a bunch of really nice ARS and firetrucks. With plenty more left for another day including the biggest ARS, scratch that, biggest reef fish I've ever seen setting a jewfish aside. This ARS was 40 pounds and smart enough to not get within range. Ho Lee fuk. Anyway, six drops. I shot pretty good, but lost a really nice scamp and this snapper's sister to an 8 foot bull. These went around 13 lbs. Still managed to get some good meat off that noggin though and my shaft back. Good day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210605_220007.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	247065  
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:16 AM   #3540
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleach2114 View Post
Nice Gag!
Thanks, Matt. Hoping we have decent enough conditions (up top and below) for Monday - forecasts are a bit "iffy".
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote