Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-12-2020, 12:10 AM   #1
A.S.

MAKO new Titan Elite Open Muzzle Speargun

Hi guys,
I’ve just found out by a fluke that MAKO released the Titan Elite Open Muzzle Speargun. I don’t believe I’ve seen a discussion regarding this gun on the Spearboard yet. MAKO website states that the gun’s trigger mech is the ErmesSub double roller mech. Has anyone used it yet?
A.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
jfjf

Re: MAKO new Titan Elite Open Muzzle Speargun

I've been involved in helping Dano test out the gun prior to the recent release.

The gun is very nice. The trigger mech is smooth and the pull is consistent. The gun is well balanced in the water. He just started selling them and I don't think he has even made a formal announcement yet, so I doubt you will get much feedback on your inquiry.

I made a compilation of some spearing shots from this year. A good bit of these shots were made using the Titan gun and that trigger, however the gun was often modified to have a different or (future) roller muzzle as well. Also was testing an enclosed track insert which is not yet in production- for that gun.

Oh yeah, there are some shots using the new MAKO Teak Wood gun which also uses the Ermes Double Roller Mech as well.

https://youtu.be/r_Z_WaaRzLI

Last edited by jfjf; 10-12-2020 at 11:36 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:38 AM   #3
spearq8

Nice to see those guns in action! I did help out with these guns very early on (I think 2 years ago). Actually I am surprised it took so long to release them as it didn't take that long to get the gun to shoot really well and super accurate. The trigger on the Mako guns were custom made for the Mako so they are a little different than the typical DR. I have to say I give credit to Dano for only releasing the guns until every single tiny little thing was ironed out and had enough testing to make sure all was good. Anyone else would have released it 2 years ago!

The test I did was from a very early beta version, but I think functionally it is the same as the ones being sold. High handle ... double roller trigger mech ... small ID bands ... what is not to like ??!! I did a bunch of 5m shots and a few 6m shots and the results were excellent. I am guessing many little improvements done during the last 2 years and thus it must be better than the version in the one I tested. For sure the trigger has improved dramatically as the new tolerances are about 10 x tighter due to improved manufacturing processes used. I'll have to ask Dano if he doesn't mind me releasing that video.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey spearQ8 and JFJF,

Thanks for the kind words about our new Titan Elite guns.

Yeah, we could have released the gun a while ago, but spearQ8 kept coming up with significant improvements to the Ermes Sub Double Roller Trigger Mechanism. These were very important changes related to geometry as well as manufacturing techniques which caused delays but were well worth it.

Additionally, the handle is a modified Spearmaster handle from South Africa. So, changes in the mechanism required changes to the handle mold as well, which further delayed production.

Well, thanks to spearQ8, Mario with Ermes Sub, JFJF, Jeff, Gonzo and others, the MAKO Titan Elite is an awesome gun and is finally available.

And, thanks to these same guys, my new MAKO Teak Enclosed Track Euro Gun is also available. And, it too includes an Ermes Sub Double Roller Trigger Mechansim.

Here are a few features of the MAKO Titan Elite that you guys might like:

The Titan Elite will be available in the following interchangeable options:

• Enclosed Track (available soon)
• Modified Open Track (available now)
• Open Muzzle (available now)
• Roller Muzzle (available soon)

Titan Elite Features:

MAKO/Ermes Sub 100% Stainless Steel “Double Roller Trigger Mechanism” is the strongest, smoothest and most accurate trigger mechanism ever made for a euro gun. (NO PLASTIC!) Tested to over 1,250 pounds!

Switchable left or right side Stainless Steel Side Line Release easily holds double wrap of 300lb mono. (NOT PLASTIC!)

Modified Handle by Spearmaster of South Africa with comfortable loading butt (EZ Load - NO PAIN - NO SLIP)

Built in “Reel Mount” Switch from “NO REEL” to “WITH REEL” in seconds.

Modified open track barrel with “Elevated Side Rails” dramatically improves accuracy & quickens loading.

Shark Spike on muzzle protects you from aggressive sharks.

South African Sharkfin Spears are twice as strong as notched spears. Includes stainless steel flopper.

Powerful MAKO Power Bands: Twin 14.5mm small ID on spearguns to 120cm. Triple bands on 130cm spearguns.
NOT made UNTIL date of order (to ensure maximum power).

Rapid Band Change Corded Wishbones: Easy to install, remove and change bands. Much safer than metal.

Shooting line 300lb abrasion resistant mono

South African muzzle bungie included on guns without reels.

Available in Black, MAKO 3D Reef Camo and MAKO 3D Blue Camo, or “Pinked Out” for the ladies.

Accepts the MAKO Roller Muzzle. You can easily convert this speargun from an open muzzle to a roller muzzle.

Two-year warranty on all parts except spear & bands.

Well, I hope you guys like the gun as much as I do.

In closing, I want to again thank all who helped me.

Dive safe,
Dano

Hey spearQ8, for sure, please post the videos. I think the guys would like to see them.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #5
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Congrats Dano! Those are great looking spearguns at a killer price.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Marco

It looks nice!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #7
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey Spear One and Marco,

Thanks for kind words of support.

I will soon have these guns with the enclosed track and roller muzzle options.

In addition to making my double roller trigger mechanisms, Ermes Sub is also producing my roller muzzles. We have been testing them for quite some time now and the quality of their components is amazing.

Super stoked!

Dive Safe,

dano

Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #8
spearq8

I had a hard time finding the video but fortunately still there. I did a test of an older Mako pipe gun and results were not good (available on youtube) so it was an interesting project to see how well things can improve with just some changes that in testing seemed to work really well. The main changes done to the older Mako pipe gun were

1. Move handle way up to the Center of Gravity of the shaft so that recoil will push into hand and not give the muzzle leverage to jump up and push tail of shaft on exit. This allowed shots to go straight and stable.

2. Small ID bands

3. Full DR trigger. A speargun trigger is the heart of any speargun ... it has to have a smooth and predictable trigger pull no matter how heavily you load the gun. DR trigger really does that well. The version used was custom made for Mako, but the internals are basically the same as the original DR trigger.

Obviously many other things as well but those were the things that made the most difference IMHO.

Gun shot really well and that was more than 2 years ago. Since then I do know the trigger was improved a lot and I am guessing everything else had minor improvements. Only thing that maybe could have been improved more on the beta version I tested was that it as a little muzzle heavy. With a 120 gun and 7mm shaft that was no problem, but maybe a shorter gun and heavier shaft might be better if it was a little lighter. This is also true for most aluminium pipe guns and would be a good option to have Carbon Fiber tube ... that really adds a lot of buoyancy. For sure I do think the trigger is the best trigger on any pipe gun available anywhere.

For anyone that is interested in the older Mako gun test to see what a huge improvement the new version is over the older one, here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb1xzA4xI5w
Old 10-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
jfjf

That is very impressive shooting! I hardly even shoot a gun with a double wrap of line - amazing consistency.

Dano has MORE impressive products being introduced. Check out the "New Products" link on his front page if you are curious.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #10
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Hey spearq8,

Thanks for posting the Titan Elite beta testing.
Both myself and Mario at Ermes Sub are very appreciative of all the input you provided.

By the way, I shoot that gun all the time and you are more accurate with it than me!

Dive Safe,

dano

Old 10-22-2020, 02:20 AM   #11
spearq8

Actually I think most experienced spearos shoot much much better than the equipment they have. I see it all the time when a friend brings their speargun to try some shots in the pool. I would say about 90% of the spearos on this forum would be able to get similar results to what I am getting in the video. For sure maybe I would be a little more consistent as I have more training, but the group size of 3 shots would not be much different. I know the saying about "the indian rather than the arrow" ... but with spearguns and experienced spearos it really is mostly the arrow that is the problem. Next time I do a test I will try to bring someone else to do the test shots to show this.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
topshot

Let me know when the roller gun is available.
I've got a nephew who is outgrowing his riffe.
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #13
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

thanks for asking. We released the roller gun a few weeks ago.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Titan-...-p/mtermot.htm