Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
spearthebigones
Daniel

Re: The most popular wetsuit -- a three year study of posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
how tall are you?
5' 4"
Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #32
SeaRanchAbLingr

The JBL suit definitely seems warm! But..the 7mms DO run a little small. Which is why I, myself have to sell the brand new one I bought. Do a search for it if interested or PM me. I'll have it at the Triton X comp in Bragg as well.
SeaRanchAbLingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
apexdiver
Tony

I am 5'5 and around 115 pounds do you guys think the yazbeck medium would fit me?I have a picasso small and it it a little to tight on me.I am also considering the jbl.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
isotopez

Nobody can tell you what will fit or not, contacting manufacturer is your best bet. Height and weight really means little.. It may be okay with surf suits, but I'm still super picky on fit with them and the surf industry has 10x more size options than diving manufactures. I'm even pickier with my dive suits.

You could be 5'5" 115 but have some serious badonkadonk going on and not fit an xs because you got xl booty. Truth.

But seriously, try before buy. Or if no can, no can

Last edited by isotopez; 09-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.
isotopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #35
jcjkspearfish
John Volker Jr.

JBL knives and wetsuits are my favorite
jcjkspearfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #36
danaslayer
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
What ever happend to the gatku suits?I was going to pick one up and they are not on the website anymore???Now i have decided on either the yazbeck or jbl.
x2 on the Gatku's??? I can't find any info online on where to purchase one and really want to try one on...
danaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #37
MEH

It seems like there's not much discussion on Picasso suits. I have a 7 mil and I love it, keeps me warm up north- I'm good for a few hours in the low 50's and it has held up great. Bought used from the free dive shop in sac 3 years ago and I'm just now thinking of getting a new one. Don't see a reason to change what works, but wondering why there's not more people using Picasso?
MEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #38
bassomatic

I have had three deep thought suits cut for me in last 15+ years. The suits fit me pretty well, only if they are shipped out when they say. I ordered a 7mil suit in July a few years back for lobster season. Andy a assured me I would have in plenty of time. wrong. I didn't get my suit until late November. I always gain 15-20lbs each winter. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER SUIT FROM DEEP THOUGHT AGAIN. I am will be taking my business to M&B.

Charter member of the Isthmus Shaggy Divers Club.
24 year member.
bassomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaslayer View Post
x2 on the Gatku's??? I can't find any info online on where to purchase one and really want to try one on...
I spoke with Dustin the owner of gatku about 4 months ago. I have one of the gatku suits. When I spoke with dustin he said that he had hoped to have the new suits soon but had to make sure that they would be just right before he ordered a batch. he told me that if I needed a suit soon that I shouldnt wait on his as these things go slowly. I appricated that he didnt just tell me to wait when he couldnt say exctly when they would be in. Im sure when they are they will be up on his website.

I purchased a gatke suit after seeing how incredibly tough the Apnea brand suits Gatku sold were. In fact one buddy who has an Apnea suit that he has put years on that suit, and although its got major compression its still has every seam intact. Sadly my Gatku suit had a bad glue job on the seams and eventualy (6-9months) it needed repair at every seam. Dustin sent me a new top that he had hand glued himself as a replacment, but is not selling the suits as you can see.

Its too bad too because the gatku suits were great in many ways. Affordable, great stitching, pocket, all edges including around the face were edged with two rows of knotted (lock?) stitching, great material, and not covered with billboards. Pretty much the quality of the suit with the defective glue-job excepted, ruined me for other suits at this price point.

When he gets another batch of suits that he puts his brand on, I will be the first to buy, but I wouldnt buy a used one if you could find it.

George from Spearamerica had a Spearamerica Turkish made suit for a reasonable price that is going to be my next suit buy. I saw it when he brought a boatload of kit to show at the dive club meeting.

The Apnea suits were made in Turkey, the production was moved to...where almost all the suits are made, yup China. Probably too much lead in the glue.

Instead of going on an anti-Sino rant I will repeat what a WWII vet I work with told me when we were discussing the nature of Chinese expansionism and foreign policy, "just be glad Japan isnt where China is, or the whole world would be f#%*ed"

Jeremy
Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #40
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassomatic View Post
I have had three deep thought suits cut for me in last 15+ years. The suits fit me pretty well, only if they are shipped out when they say. I ordered a 7mil suit in July a few years back for lobster season. Andy a assured me I would have in plenty of time. wrong. I didn't get my suit until late November. I always gain 15-20lbs each winter. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER SUIT FROM DEEP THOUGHT AGAIN. I am will be taking my business to M&B.

Charter member of the Isthmus Shaggy Divers Club.
24 year member.
My friend who has a recently made Deepthought is stoked with it and I will say its the nicest suit Ive seen. Ever. Period.

She has a not on the rack shape and the suit has multiple panels and sections that make it fit amazingly well. The seams, edges and stitching are so good, the cargo pocket is awesome, it just is so quality, and fits so well... I want one but am too cheap, since I fit a on the rack suit fine.

She does live within driving distance from the shop and was measured there, and did pick it up at the shop where a alteration was made (while a beer was drank at the bar next door) after trying it on. The suit was made in a reasonable amount of time (a month if i remember) and she can have it altered any time if need be.

Im not disputing your experience, but under the right circumstances the Deepthought suits are second to none

Jeremy
Old 09-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #41
RLank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEH View Post
It seems like there's not much discussion on Picasso suits. I have a 7 mil and I love it, keeps me warm up north- I'm good for a few hours in the low 50's and it has held up great. Bought used from the free dive shop in sac 3 years ago and I'm just now thinking of getting a new one. Don't see a reason to change what works, but wondering why there's not more people using Picasso?
I also have a really old hand-me-down Picasso that I've beaten the hell out of that is still doing the job, hoping to get 1 more lobster season out of it before trading it in for a new model.
RLank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #42
standish
Fishy shaft

I like my mako 7mm for the price. Only complaint is they do not offer a tall version. I have a pretty common body type(6'2" -185lbs) and the large is too short in the arms and legs and the XL is too baggy. I had to have 2 inch extensions put on the legs of mine. Good suit other than that.

Oh, and I'd rather eat my own dick than try to get in the suit without lube...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #43
shafe

Thanks for everyone's comments. I incorporated them into a new thread called An Intro to Buying Wetsuits http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=166298
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #44
nikko
Nick

just thought Iwould contribute after reading through this. I owned a cressi technica 7mm suit as my first open cell dive suit. loved it, beat the crap out of it and it lasted 6 years of hard diving. Ordered a mako and it didnt work out to fit me and now i am stuck with it. Now that the mako doesnt fit i am looking into a custom suit for triple the cost of a mako. I wish mako did custom tailoring.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #45
carrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRanchAbLingr View Post
The JBL suit definitely seems warm! But..the 7mms DO run a little small. Which is why I, myself have to sell the brand new one I bought. Do a search for it if interested or PM me. I'll have it at the Triton X comp in Bragg as well.
I have a JBL and it seems like the hood is poorly designed. I haven't used it since I bought it new. I am keeping it as a loaner but so far, no one has been able to wear it without complaining of the hood’s tight fit.

Two friends just bought Mako suits and they are very happy with their purchase.

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote